Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is my connection good enough for PSN?

Options
  • 27-04-2014 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭

My ping speed is 22ms, my download speed is 3.5 and my upload is 0.25.
    From what I know, the download and upload don't really matter for gaming and the ping is what matters, and 22ms is quite good, so am I correct in assuming I should be grand as long as I'm playing a game that isn't laggy in the first place? Also, I'll be playing on PS3, not PS4, I'm hoping to have a faster connection by the time I buy a PS4, so that won't be an issue.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

It depends on where you're measuring your ping from. If you're pinging servers in the UK then you're likely going to be okay. If you're getting higher pings from servers in Europe then you might have trouble.

What units are your download and upload speeds? Mbits or MBytes per second?
    That upload speed is a bit low for Mbits per second.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭BetterThanThou

5uspect wrote: »
    It depends on where you're measuring your ping from. If you're pinging servers in the UK then you're likely going to be okay. If you're getting higher pings from servers in Europe then you might have trouble.

What units are your download and upload speeds? Mbits or MBytes per second?
    That upload speed is a bit low for Mbits per second.
    MBits, the lines in my area are quite bad, I've been told they should be upgraded to fiber power by the end of the year. The 22ms ping is from a server in Dublin. I did a test on a server in Bucharest and got 75ms ping with the same DL and UL speeds. Is it worth my while buying a PS3? I only want it to play online with some friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭WeHaveToGoBack

I've about 3Mbiy down and .3kbit up. You should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,541 ✭✭✭✭Varik

MBits, the lines in my area are quite bad, I've been told they should be upgraded to fiber power by the end of the year. The 22ms ping is from a server in Dublin. I did a test on a server in Bucharest and got 75ms ping with the same DL and UL speeds. Is it worth my while buying a PS3? I only want it to play online with some friends.

It's perfectly fine.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Well you have no data on packet loss, so it might not always be fine.

If you have a PC of some description install TF2 or Quake Live or some free to play game that's fairly action based and try it out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement