Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eFibre - When will I have it?

Options
  • 27-04-2014 2:16pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,590 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi, 

I have sent numerous emails to Eircom but they never reply. 
    I rarely even get an acknowledgement that my email has been received. 

Each time I drop into an Eircom shop and enquire about eFibre I am assured that I will have it "within a few weeks", but I never do. 

I rang Eircom and they told me that they could not tell me what seep was available until I was connected, despite the fact that I gave them my neighbour's number. There is no way I am going to get my landline connected when I have no idea what speed I will have. I get 7MB at present from an ariel on the roof of my home. I would gladly switch to Eircom if they could guarantee me something faster, but they can't. 

The fibre cabinet (no. NMK1_013) at the entrance to my estate is now live according to Eircom's website. The cable length is 800m from this cabinet to my home (I know the route that the ductwork takes and I measured it). 

How can I find out when I can get eFibre?? 
    I do want to be a customer but Eircom is making it vey difficult. 
    Why is it so difficult to find out?
    Many in my estate are willing too sign up to a fast connection but like me Eircom can't seem to provide them with an answer. 
    Who can I contact? 

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

2011 wrote: »
    Hi, 

I have sent numerous emails to Eircom but they never reply. 
    I rarely even get an acknowledgement that my email has been received. 

Each time I drop into an Eircom shop and enquire about eFibre I am assured that I will have it "within a few weeks", but I never do. 

I rang Eircom and they told me that they could not tell me what seep was available until I was connected, despite the fact that I gave them my neighbour's number. There is no way I am going to get my landline connected when I have no idea what speed I will have. I get 7MB at present from an ariel on the roof of my home. I would gladly switch to Eircom if they could guarantee me something faster, but they can't. 

The fibre cabinet (no. NMK1_013) at the entrance to my estate is now live according to Eircom's website. The cable length is 800m from this cabinet to my home (I know the route that the ductwork takes and I measured it). 

How can I find out when I can get eFibre?? 
    I do want to be a customer but Eircom is making it vey difficult. 
    Why is it so difficult to find out?
    Many in my estate are willing too sign up to a fast connection but like me Eircom can't seem to provide them with an answer. 
    Who can I contact? 
    HI 2011

I'm sorry to hear you are finding it difficult to establish an answer to your query. Please PM me your exact address and I will look in to this for you.

Thanks
    Al

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,590 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Thanks Al, PM sent.

Thanks Al, PM sent.
    Hi 2011

I've just PM'd you in reply this afternoon. Unfortunately efibre is not available in your specific area however I've also included other details in the PM.

Thanks
    Al

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,590 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

For those interested here is the PM exchange I have had with Eircom. 
    Although I appreciate that Alan from Eircom has been doing his best I am very disappointed with Eircom's attitude.

In my view this is a situation that can be easily resolved. 
    I live in an estate that has a new live fibre cabinet at the entrance. 
    The existing cabling routes from this cabinet for all houses within the estate meet the criteria for fibre i.e. are within 1km of the fibre cabinet. 

As can be seen below the last PM from Eircom states that they are "unable" to answer my questions. 
    I have repeatedly asked why but received no reply. 

Speaking as an experienced electrical engineer, I would not be employed for vey long if I was "unable" answer very basic questions from a potential client.

In this case 32 potential fibre customers have been told that Eircom are "unable" to tell them why we can't be connected to the cabinet at the entrance of their estate.  

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Hi 2011

Apologies for the delays, I wanted to wait to discuss this with efibre operations before I got back to you so I could offer you the most accurate response.

My findings and information given by efibre operations have confirmed that indeed efibre is not available to your specific area. 

While efibre has been launched in areas served by the [EDIT: INSERT LOCAL TOWN HERE] exchange (which your line and surrounding lines are connected to) not all areas served by the [EDIT: INSERT LOCAL TOWN HERE] exchange have been upgraded.

The availability of efibre is based on the roll out cabinets to specific and not on the terms of exchange availability. efibre operations have advised me that while there are many areas served by the [EDIT:INSERT LOCAL TOWN HERE] exchange there are no plans made or forecasted that would result in a cabinet being installed to offer your address (or any lines in [EDIT:INSERT MY ESTATE HERE] efibre broadband however they have confirmed that a new release of plans is set for early 2015 if I would like to get back to them then.

In terms of standard broadband I can confirm that the distance from the exchange is the issue here, the line in question is only capable of holding a maximum of up to 2 to 3MB due to distance. I've tested the speeds of nearby lines currently in use and the average speeds is 2.5MB. Unfortunately this a problem faced throughout the country with lines at distance from the exchange and unfortunately eircom are unable to offer a solution to this.

I can understand that this news is very disappointing, I had hoped to offer you better news however it is the most accurate info eircom can offer at present.

Thanks

Al
    [/font]

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif]
    Alan,

This is disgraceful. Many of us in our estate have been emailing Eircom, phoning Eircom and even dropping into Eircom shops for years about this. Countless promises have been made. 

The new fibre cabinet is right at the entrance of our estate. I assume that it is for [EDIT:INSERT ESTATE NAME HERE]  the larger estate across the road from us. As there are only 32 houses in our estate and all of the surrounding estates have eFibre why can't we just be connected to this cabinet?? Surely another 32 houses will not push the fibre feeding the new cabinet over the limit? 

2 to 3MB is insulting to say the least!

To say that "there are no plans made or forecasted that would result in a cabinet being installed to offer your address (or any lines in [EDIT:INSERT MY ESTATE HERE])" is unbelievable in this day and age. How much work is involved connecting us to the new cabinet? It is extremely close to the existing cable ducting, I know because I saw them pulling the cables in when our estate was built. 

I know that this is not your fault, but from what I have seen it is representative of the way Eircom operates. Our estate is relatively new (about 7 years old). Why was the cabling and ductwork not future proofed and brought to a suitable cabinet?

Regards,

[EDIT:INSERT MY NAME HERE]
    [/font]

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Hi [/font][font=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif][[/font][font=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif]EDIT:[/font][font=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif]INSERT MY NAME HERE][/font][font=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif],[/font]

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif]I totally understand your feelings on this. Unfortunately eircom will not be able to answer on why this is the case. Sorry about this Darragh.[/font]

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Al[/font]

Despite the fact that Eircom are "unable" to tell me why they are can not connect our estate to the fibre cabinet beside us they are able to tell a local TD.
    See email below dated 29/04/2014. 

This email states that it would not be "commercially viable" to extend our cable by a few meters. 

How much would this work cost to connect?
    Do you realise that some residents signed a contract with Eircom on the basis of promises for fibre in writing?
    Naturally these contracts are now null and void if Eircom do not keep to their commitments.

Dear [INSERT NAME OF RESIDENT IN OUR ESTATE],

I hope this email finds you well.

Further to my representations to Eircom regarding the provision of eFibre broadband to Wellfield estate, I have now been advised as follows: 

Thank you for forwarding these numbers on to me. I have sent them on to the team and unfortunately the cabinet to which these customers are connected is not due to be included in the fibre upgrade as there is an insufficient number of houses connected to it for upgrade to be commercially viable. I can see from the letter which was sent to you that the residents believe that they were promised eFibre services. Regrettably, this is not the case and I do not know how this confusion has arisen. The reason that other estates in the area are able to receive our eFibre services is that they are connected to a cabinet which is efibre enabled. I fully understand that this is a frustrating outcome for these customers and I would like to apologise again for any misunderstanding that may have arisen. 

[INSERT NAME OF RESIDENT IN OUR ESTATE], I know that you will be disappointed to receive this update but I just wanted to pass on the information as I had received it.

As you may be aware, the Government is currently conducting a mapping exercise to identify those areas where superfast broadband will not be provided on a commercial basis and Eircom is assisting in this process. 

Please be assured that I will continue to pursue.

Kind regards,

Simon 

Simon Harris TD
    Wicklow-East Carlow

Constituency Office: 
    Office 4, Market Court, Main Street, Bray, Co. Wicklow
    Phone: 01-6183805 (Dáil) | 01-2813727 (Constituency)
    Email:simon.harris@oir.ie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Do you really need more than 7Mb ? I have 50 MB at home with UPC and to be honest I don't need it - and I work in IT. Perhaps latency is your issue with the aerial, if it's rubbish with video conferencing or remote desktop work this could be the reason. A slower wired connection should be better.

professore wrote: »
    Do you really need more than 7Mb ? I have 50 MB at home with UPC and to be honest I don't need it - and I work in IT. Perhaps latency is your issue with the aerial, if it's rubbish with video conferencing or remote desktop work this could be the reason. A slower wired connection should be better.
    I get 7 on a "good day". 
    This can be as low as 2 MB and during bad weather it can go completely.  

As can be seen in post no. 5 above Eircom are only offering us 2 to 3 MB which in reality is about 1 MB.
    We have been promised efibre many times for years. 
    So many deadlines have passed and now this.

People have renewed contracts with Eircom on that basis. 

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭yomamasflavour

Why did you upgrade to 50Mb then? 
    An upgrade to vdsl would make a massive differece to alot of people, that's why the Eircom forum is full of people complaining about Eircom unwillingness to offer them a service.

In my case I'm on a 1.5MB/0.1MB line. It's faster to send a usb stick by post than to try and upload.

I don't see why in cases like these, why eircom don't allow you to pay to have your line moved to a cab. It's perfectly possible as the lines are all in ducts.

I get 7 on a "good day". 
    This can be as low as 2 MB and during bad weather it can go completely.  

As can be seen in post no. 5 above Eircom are only offering us 2 to 3 MB which in reality is about 1 MB.
    We have been promised efibre many times for years. 
    So many deadlines have passed and now this.

People have renewed contracts with Eircom on that basis. 

[font=Times New Roman","serif]Hi 2011

I can understand the disappointment this will create however I can confirm the efibre can never be guaranteed and non efibre contracts do not include the guarantee of efibre in the terms & conditions of contract.

Thanks
    Al[/font]

I can confirm the efibre can never be guaranteed and non efibre contracts do not include the guarantee of efibre in the terms & conditions of contract

Even though assurances were given in writing and contracts were signed on that basis? 
    We will see. 

Is the information that Eircom sent to Simon Harris (see post #6 above) accurate, i.e. that it is not "financially viable" to connect our estate to the fibre cabinet that is installed at our entrance & this is why we will not have fibre? 

• Advertisement

This question remains unanswered: 

Is the information that Eircom sent to Simon Harris (see post #6 above) accurate, i.e. that it is not "financially viable" to connect our estate to the fibre cabinet that is installed at our entrance & this is why we will not have fibre? 

This thread is now being Tweeted 

It is unfortunate that we have to resort to embarrassing Eircom to get a reply.

This question remains unanswered: 

Hi 2011

Not sure where that letter is coming from however we are not in a position here to add or comment to this. As I have previously touched on, we will be unable to offer reasoning behind operational decisions of this level however the position remains that there are no plans to bring efibre to your area.

Thanks

Al

In reply to the above post as already stated the letter is from Simon Harris, TD (as already stated).

Hopefully this issue is being resolved. 
    A protracted campaign by residents which included embarrassing Eircom on Twitter and lobbying TDs may finially have worked. 
    We have been assured (verbally only at this point) by a local TD that we will have efibre this month. This information was provided to us after the recent elections. 
    We are trying to obtain an assurance in writing. 
    The fact that Eircom's lack of cooperation and misleading/contradictory communications has had a negitive impact on those of us that work and run businesses from home seems have encouraged this TD to become involved. I have been self employed for over 10 years, people like me need businesses like Eircom to engage and cooperate. That is the only way this country will get back on its feet. 

Advertisement