Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD course transfer.. Please help!!!!

Options
  • 27-04-2014 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi :)
    I'm currently a first year arts student, I loved the year gone by etc but I can't help but feel disappointed, my first choice on my cao last year was UCD Law. I missed it by a heartbreaking 10 points.
    I was wondering if there is ANY way that I could transfer into first year law next year having completed stage one arts.
    I would really appreciate any help at all!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Durz0 Blint

I'm not sure how probable that is as both are done under different courses. However if you want to do law, a postgrad in law after doing an arts degree seems to be a very common route.

I'm sure others with more experience will be able to comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Contact the programme office or the Arts Advisor, and have a chat to them about what options are out there for you re transferring courses.

It's true what Durz0 has said: not getting an undergrad in law is not the only way into law. You have the option of doing a postgrad in law, a law conversion course to prepare you for the FE1s, and then doing your FE1 and other exams. There are lots of people I know who are now solicitors and didn't do law for their undergrad. If you can get a good undergrad arts degree (2.1 or higher), then there are lots of possibilities out there for you to enter law; having an undergrad degree in law isn't the only way into the legal profession.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Kiltennel

My understanding is the only way you can get in is applying through the CAO. Any idea what area of law you wish to pursue? Neither Solicitor or Barrister require a law undergrad to qualify. For solicitor, both law and non-law students have to pass the FE1 entrance exams, while for barrister both law and non-law students must pass the Kings Inn entrance exams. Law students have a qualifying degree so they can sit the exams after college, while non-law students have to do a 2 year post-grad in either the Kings Inn or one of the recognized post grad degrees such as the 2 year MCL in UCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

You need to talk to the program office as its greatly differs. For instance, you can go from Engineering to Computer Sci. no problem after a year or two. You might have to do an extra module or two, but its very simple. However, the opposite is not necessarily true. In general, you can only go down the CAO points ladder. Otherwise, imagine my course need 400 points, but I got 300. I could just transfer to the other high point course and bypass the CAO entry requirements. Very unfair.

As other example, you have to start from scratch in Medicine even if you did a full year somewhere else e.g. NUIG to UCD. I know that for a fact.

Programme offices are usually a great help so I'd drop in and have a 5 minute chat. Personally if it was me, I'd do a post-grad. Employers love multidisciplinary and it also broadens your own horizons i.e. Take Law electives as much as you can.

Advertisement