Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent allowance and moving

Options
  • 27-04-2014 6:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭

Hi

I've been renting for many years and am in currently have a part 4 tenancy for a one bed apartment in Dublin. My work contract is coming to an end in a couple of months, and while I'm hoping it's extended or I get another job, I'm trying to plan for every eventuality.

From daft it looks like there are no properties in Dublin under the RA limit for a single person and that not many advertise that rent allowance is accepted. So I've accepted that if I am unemployed it's unlikely I can remain living in Dublin. I wondered if anyone had any advice around the practicalities of applying for RA when you don't know which county you will live in. I would imagine I'd have to move to a different county so I wasn't sure which local authority I should make the application to and should I be living in a certain area for a period of time before I apply. I could use my savings to stay an extra month after my job ends in Dublin but I don't think I could manage after that.

Any advice is very welcome. I've never applied for RA before and maybe there's something really obvious I've missed.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

You have to move into a property before you can apply for Rent Allowance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭emuhead

Thanks January, so I need to find a landlord in a new area that accepts rent allowance, and then apply for rent allowance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Yes, you need the address of the property you will be living in and a lease agreement before you can apply for rent allowance.

Advertisement