Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV3 Monday night - Documentary on Cork port

• 27-04-2014 7:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭

Attached taken from SafeHaven Marine Facebook page

At 9pm Monday night 28th April (tomorrow) on Irelands TV3 channel is a new TV Documentary called 'CORK MEGA PORT' about how the port operates, its pilot boats and pilots, how they board ships and bring them safely into the port, and has a nice section in part 3 featuring Safehaven Marine, our boats and sea trials in last winters storms, with some cool video footage. Its a very interesting programme and well worth watching

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=960972903973692&set=a.415259271878394.75410.415221425215512&type=1&theater

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Rabbo

Anyone watching this? Very interesting, never knew the work involved just to get a ship into port

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,504 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Fascinating stuff.

I'd LOVE a go on those cranes - or the tugs for that matter!

Love the accents!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 doc5

Its going to be on next week too its a series

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

I watched it last night. It was entertaining enough. Looking forward to next week’s instalment.

I though the Starboard list on the last vessel which swung up by the quay’s was odd. I thought I saw it trimmed to Starboard when she was in the harbour, but it became very noticeable later on. I was wondering was it just sloppy trim or was she listed for operational reasons.

The Skipper of the Gerry O’Sullivan was hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

Very interesting viewing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

Not sure if it's a Mega port though?

It's more a series of smaller ports handling medium size ships and doing different things.

To me a mega port would something like Rotterdam that handles massive amounts of containers in the worlds biggest container ships or an oil terminal handling supertankers.

good programme so far.

Agree it’s not a Mega port, but I can assure you it is just one port. It’s just a port with a few different parts to it, like most other harbour based ports around the world.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 salthilljourno

Brilliant stuff , Galway port next I hope , Im going to be a TV star,

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Chicken1

Brilliant stuff , Galway port next I hope , Im going to be a TV star,

They would have a long wait for ships coming into Galway, one a week if they were lucky and most are tankers.

Jesus, can't believe it. Mark Moran there, the coxswain of the pilot boat at the start of the show was in my class in the RTC. Always knew that cute f@&ker would get a handy one some day!:D fair play bud.
    We both worked on the dunkerque express years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,504 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Jaysus, those pilots are brave boys :eek:

(are there any gals, I wonder?)

A woman I know vaguely is the wife of a Dublin pilot, and she's told some hairy tales - but to see the embarkation/disembarkation in action is something else!

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

A woman I know vaguely is the wife of a Dublin pilot, and she's told some hairy tales - but to see the embarkation/disembarkation in action is something else!

I've met female pilots in a few ports I have been to, don't know of any in Ireland though.

The pilot puts a lot of trust in the crew of any ship they board. The pilot ladder you see in the show, are all built to the same spec. However!! Some are built to varying standards. I have come across some pretty bad pilot ladders, loose lashings, broken or cracked steps, missing spreaders etc.....

The building on a pilot ladder is one of the few remaining "traditional" skills of an able seaman. That along with building a stage or bosons chair. These skills seem to be disappearing a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Five Lamps

Watched both episodes. One thing that struck me was an apparent lack of life jacket wearing on the tug and pilot launch.

The chap in the tug was dressed as if was working ashore. I know it's probably low risk but would there be a requirement to have one of those neat flotation jackets.

Five Lamps wrote: »
    Watched both episodes. One thing that struck me was an apparent lack of life jacket wearing on the tug and pilot launch.

The chap in the tug was dressed as if was working ashore. I know it's probably low risk but would there be a requirement to have one of those neat flotation jackets.

Not a requirement in the wheel house of either vessel.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭DownBeaten

Watched last night's episode. Now I'm not a sailor, and will happily admit that I know f*k all about lifting mooring buoys, but surely there must be a safer way of detaching the 5-tonne yoke from it's chain while held by a crane over the back of a moving boat than sending a man with a cutting torch directly underneath it?

DownBeaten wrote: »
    Watched last night's episode. Now I'm not a sailor, and will happily admit that I know f*k all about lifting mooring buoys, but surely there must be a safer way of detaching the 5-tonne yoke from it's chain while held by a crane over the back of a moving boat than sending a man with a cutting torch directly underneath it?

There is, but these guys are not doing it.

In lay man’s terms what they should be doing is:

Grabbing the chain further down, heaving this chain on deck with a winch, secure on deck. Then separate the two parts of the chain, safely on deck away from the mooring buoy. They also do not need to be using a torch to cut anything, you can use the joining shackle that attaches lengths of ships anchor chain together, they open nice and easy once the pin is knocked out, opens with a bang of a sledge.

I was horrified when I saw what they were doing. In my opinion, pure cowboy stuff. “We haven’t come up with a better way to do it yet”?? FFS think about it, I thought the work boat skipper said he spent time at sea??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

murphym7 wrote: »
    There is, but these guys are not doing it.

In lay man’s terms what they should be doing is:

Grabbing the chain further down, heaving this chain on deck with a winch, secure on deck. Then separate the two parts of the chain, safely on deck away from the mooring buoy. They also do not need to be using a torch to cut anything, you can use the joining shackle that attaches lengths of ships anchor chain together, they open nice and easy once the pin is knocked out, opens with a bang of a sledge.

I was horrified when I saw what they were doing. In my opinion, pure cowboy stuff. “We haven’t come up with a better way to do it yet”?? FFS think about it, I thought the work boat skipper said he spent time at sea??

I don't think they use joing shackles, I think its just traditional chain links

As you say though, there's still no reason why the chain couldn't be winched on deck and cut, avoiding the need for the man to go under the buoy

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

I've come across a few women Pilots abroad, but not Ireland. I don't know has there ever been an Irish woman sail as Captain? I've never heard of it which would explain the lack of women pilots

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,833 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

LiamoSail wrote: »
    I've come across a few women Pilots abroad, but not Ireland. I don't know has there ever been an Irish woman sail as Captain? I've never heard of it which would explain the lack of women pilots

[Pedant]Lieut Cdr Roberta O'Brien of the NS took command of LÉ Aisling in 2008. [/Pedant]

I know what you mean though.

[Pedant]Lieut Cdr Roberta O'Brien of the NS took command of LÉ Aisling in 2008. [/Pedant]

I know what you mean though.

Yea, I know the Navy have a few, but you don't need to be a Master Mariner to Captain a Navy ship,they have their own watch keeping certification system, while a Masters ticket is generally a prerequisite for a Pilots job

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

Did anyone happen to record this? I've asked TV3 if they'll be releasing it on DVD or better, by download, but I don't hold much hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Xantia

Is this it ?
    TV3 Player Cork Port

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭cookie.monster

Xantia wrote: »
    yep

Advertisement