Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Converting juwel trigon 190

Options
  • 27-04-2014 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭

I've come to the decision that I will be changing my African chiclid setup to a marine setup, I'm a total beginner and getting all sorts of different info, I'm gonna go for a FOWLR
    I wanna use a sump as to keep most of the equipment out if site!
    The questions I have are:
    Should I keep using my canister filter?
    Would 15kg liverock be enough?
    Do I only need a heater protein skimmer live rock and return pump in the sump?, and can all thus be put into one area or does the sump need to be split into 2 sections?

Any help much appreciated
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Site traffic here is very slow, you might be better asking on a dedicated fish forum. You could try http://www.irishfishkeepers.com/ and/or http://www.irishfishforum.com/.

Have a look on both and see which is busy and would suit your questions, also which you find easier to navigate on.

There might be other sites that are good, if anyone else feels like suggesting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

I would also recommend that you remove the Juwel Internal filter, it will not be enough. I would purchase a decent external filter that you can hide in the cabinet.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,239 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I thought filters were generally considered a bad thing for a marine tank's nitrate levels?

AFAIK, marine setups involve power-heads, live rock and protein skimmers...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Yeah i have already been using an external filter, was over on seahorse aquariums and they said i could keep the external filter as it would get rid of some of as the chemical waste as the liverock etc would do the biological wste

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭cintec

If you are going to have a sump then you don't need the canister filter the live rock abd protein skimmer will be good enough maybe a filter sock if your going to change them ever 3-4days

You will need to drill the tank or buy an overflow box as someone who has converted a tank I would recommend against an overflow box mine kept losing the siphon and was a pain.

Marine is not cheap even with a tank it's going to be expensive buying a second hand marine tank on one of the Irish fish forums would save you money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 seagull50

What type of african cichlids have you got? I might be interested in them if they are still available?

Advertisement