Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water pipe & wiring in the same chase?

Options
  • 27-04-2014 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭

Fitting a second shower in the house, Triton T90z, the water & electrical inlet / input on the shower are pretty much in the same spot, can you put the wiring & pipe in the same wall chase?

Both water pipe & cable coming from the attic.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Put the cable in an oval wavin if the chase is to be filled in. No problem then with same chase being used. You don't want to just plaster the cable solidly into wall chase without the wavin around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

yes
    any I've done on solid walls are in the same wall chase

I'm not aware of any rule that says they can't go side by side

• Registered Users Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Thanks guys, was thinking it was ok & yes cable will be in oval plastic conduit

Just a follow up question, should the cable & pipe lie side by side in the chase or on top of eachother, best practice?

I assume the wall is 4" block so not sure if I should go wide or deep with the chase

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

Just a follow up question, should the cable & pipe lie side by side in the chase or on top of eachother, best practice?

I assume the wall is 4" block so not sure if I should go wide or deep with the chase

Thanks

wide

• Advertisement

Yes side by side.

Sound, thanks lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

Fitting a second shower in the house, Triton T90z, the water & electrical inlet / input on the shower are pretty much in the same spot, can you put the wiring & pipe in the same wall chase?

Both water pipe & cable coming from the attic.

Thanks
    TO ALL ELECTRICANS HERE.
    OP is doing a DIY shower instulation which is illegal without a qualified electrican. This wasn't pointed out and advice was still given ???
    Am I wrong to be pointing out this small detail ?

Over on the P&H Forum we self regulate what info we give for safety and keep an eye on each other in relation to safely giving advice. Generaly this works fairly well for us.

Or should I just keep my mouth closed ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

scudo2 wrote: »
    TO ALL ELECTRICANS HERE.
    OP is doing a DIY shower instulation which is illegal without a qualified electrican. This wasn't pointed out and advice was still given ???

Is it illegal for a non qualified electrician to cut a chase in a wall and put a pipe and wire in it, the op never said anything about connecting to fuseboard, maybe the op is doing a bathroom renovation and all the services were there already?

It is wrong to be saying only a qualified electrician can do work which would involve wiring into a fuseboard, what you need is a Registered Electrical Contractor (REC). Not every rec out there is a qualified electrician or have any qualification at all. I know several rec who have no electrical qualification what so ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,092 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I agree with scudo2. It is dangerous & he shouldn't be given advice but he started several threads & you would only know what he was up to if you read them all so I don't think people here should be blamed.
    Another thread he started was about priority switching for 2 showers. Another thread was about chasing out the wall. A few days ago he wanted to know if he could reuse an insert & a half inch compressed ring. He obviously has little or no knowledge of electrics or plumbing.
    In His latest post he is wondering why he has no water (obviously it's plumbed in such a way that it is airlocked)

• Advertisement

Im not defending the op or anything but he never asked for any info which was illegal in the electrical forum as far as I can see.

TO ALL ELECTRICANS HERE.

Over on the P&H Forum we self regulate what info we give for safety and keep an eye on each other in relation to safely giving advice. Generaly this works fairly well for us.

Or should I just keep my mouth closed ?
    Maybe all advice should be banned in case posters do other things besides what they are asking about. Ban everything. That way we can become even more Irish.

Im not defending the op or anything but he never asked for any info which was illegal in the electrical forum as far as I can see.

Hi Guys
    Let me start by firstly saying I'm not on a witch hunt.
    OP / Smurf is doing the right thing asking for advice.
    He should have been advised better !

As Tpm also spotted, enquiries about priority switch = work on a fuse board.
    Chasing a wall, new wires and plumbing, new shower as he's enquiring about a priority switch.

RECI told me that that I'm only legaly allowed ( plumber gas & oil for 28 years)
    To replace/re-fit showers, not allowed to alter or rewire or work on a fuse board.
    Same goes for immersion.
    I can wire boilers from sockets via fuse switch which I can also install off a socket but not allowed to connect directly to fuse board.

His thread on the priority shower switch was back in 02-07-2013, this was before Restricted Electrical Works came into force so nothing illegal done here.

Hi Guys
    Let me start by firstly saying I'm not on a witch hunt.
    OP / Smurf is doing the right thing asking for advice.
    He should have been advised better !

As Tpm also spotted, enquiries about priority switch = work on a fuse board.
    Chasing a wall, new wires and plumbing, new shower as he's enquiring about a priority switch.

RECI told me that that I'm only legaly allowed ( plumber gas & oil for 28 years)
    To replace/re-fit showers, not allowed to alter or rewire or work on a fuse board.
    Same goes for immersion.
    I can wire boilers from sockets via fuse switch which I can also install off a socket but not allowed to connect directly to fuse board.

Im in the electrical nearly 30 years, and I also can't do any more than yourself on showers or immersions. Its too unsafe for me. What a laugh. And I mean it, its actually funny.

Bruthal wrote: »
    Im in the electrical nearly 30 years, and I also can't do any more than yourself on showers or immersions. Its too unsafe for me. What a laugh. And I mean it, its actually funny.

Totaly agree.
    On a RGII topic I once posted:
    "Rules and regulations are only for the good guys"

It's the idiots who don't ask questions and advice I worry more about.
    At least SMURF was good enough to ask for advice, even if he's sometimes naughty !!

Advertisement