Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about problems with rental

Options
  • 27-04-2014 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Ok so i started to rent a new property last month and there was a damp patch on the ceilling with black mould and the house is stinking with damp. The boiler is not working so theres no hot water or heating. The base of the bed is also broke. What can i do? Can i request a new property or my deposit back? We still havent got a rent agreement so im dealing solely with the estate agent. She cant contact the landlord.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 shane27

shane27 wrote: »
    Ok so i started to rent a new property last month and there was a damp patch on the ceilling with black mould and the house is stinking with damp. The boiler is not working so theres no hot water or heating. The base of the bed is also broke. What can i do? Can i request a new property or my deposit back? We still havent got a rent agreement so im dealing solely with the estate agent. She cant contact the landlord.
    Or how fast should the repairs be made? The house is unlivable for me. The mould has me sick the past month. Just want to know my rights and how i should approach the situation. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Have you informed the agent of the issues?

Have you informed the agent of the issues?

Yeah i told them but the estate agent is saying shes trying to contact someone but nothing is being done.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

shane27 wrote: »
    Yeah i told them but the estate agent is saying shes trying to contact someone but nothing is being done.

Send a registered letter to them, outlining all the issues and giving them a reasonable time frame in which to resolve them.
    Personally I'd give them five working days to rectify the boiler issue, you can't be expected to live in a house with no heat or hot water.
    The ultimatum if they do not resolve the issues in that time frame is that you wish to leave as the place is not fit for occupation and you will expect your deposit and any over payment of rent to be returned. You should also mention that you will be lodging a complaint with these guys http://www.npsra.ie/website/npsra/npsraweb.nsf/page/index-en and with the PRTB.

I'd also be ringing them daily to see if there is any update on the situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Did you move in with these problems present?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Diane Selwyn

I would say that no hot water warrents some pretty quick action on the repair front once you notify the agent/landlord (by registered post as previously advised is your best bet) - I'd give them a couple of days 5 max and then organise it myself and deduct it from the rent but thats assuming that I'd want to continue renting a place that sounds like a kip - can you get out of the lease and find something else?

I moved in with the problems present. I didn't know that the boiler was broken or any of the other problems existed other than the damp patch which i was told would be fixed from day one.
    I'm told the land lord is coming tomorrow to look at all the problems that is listed in the letter i wrote but i'm really not happy here its been a month with no way to wash other than the gym every day.
    I think i should ask for my deposit back tomorrow. Hope i get it. There's a much nicer place available with no problems.
    Thanks every one.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭superman28

I would ask for your deposit back,, register the complaint with the PRTB and contact your local authority and ask for a health inspection of the premises..

Advertisement