Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PFA Premier League Team of the Year.

• 27-04-2014 9:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭

Petr Cech,
    Seamus Coleman, Vincent Kompany, Gary Cahill, Luke Shaw,
    Adam Lallana, Yaya Toure, Steven Gerrard, Eden Hazard,
    Luis Suarez & Daniel Sturridge

Decent team Ramsey for Gerrard if he didnt get injured.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Petr Cech,
    Seamus Coleman, Vincent Kompany, Gary Cahill, Luke Shaw,
    Adam Lallana, Yaya Toure, Steven Gerrard, Eden Hazard,
    Luis Suarez & Daniel Sturridge

Decent team Ramsey for Gerrard if he didnt get injured.

Terry for Kompany.
    Azpilicueta for Shaw
    De Gea or Marshall for Cech.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Kompany very lucky to get a place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Kompany in and no Terry. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Marshall for Cech is the only glaring one really. I think either Shaw or Azpilicueta could have been there, throw up really.

Terry for Kompany could be argued too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Corholio wrote: »
    Marshall for Cech is the only glaring one really. I think either Shaw or Azpilicueta could have been there, throw up really.

Terry for Kompany could be argued too.

Ramsey for Gerrard surely up for debate too? Both with a good half season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Terry should definitely be in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Definitely think Kompany is lucky to be in. Terry, Jagielka, Skrtel, to name a few, could all be in ahead of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Lallana has now made the team of the year in the top three leagues.

That's some achievement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Lukker- wrote: »
    Terry for Kompany.
    Azpilicueta for Shaw
    De Gea or Marshall for Cech.

Exactly this, and Henderson/Ramsey for Gerrard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Well done Seamus Coleman.

Follows a long line of Irish full backs, Gary Kelly, Steve Finnan, Carr, Irwin etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Paully D wrote: »
    Ramsey for Gerrard surely up for debate too? Both with a good half season.

I think with Gerrard constantly playing gives him the edge, an injury that completely rules you out for months is hard to dismiss really, as good as Ramsey was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

I think how dominant Aguero was earlier in the year has been forgotten with his injuries

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Marshall, Terry, Azpilicueta unlucky to miss out.

As are Henderson, Silva, Ramseyin the midfield I think.

But of course its a toss up between everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

It could have been an Everton back 5. Terry is very unlucky not to be there.

I can think of a lot of players i'd put in before Gerrard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Super-Rush wrote: »
    It could have been an Everton back 5. Terry is very unlucky not to be there.

I can think of a lot of players i'd put in before Gerrard.

Who are the contenders for Central Midfield though?

Ramsey, Schneiderlin, Henderson, Barkley? Not sure they have done enough to get in it. Gerrard though is captaining the league leaders at the moment and (although I know they were nearly all penalties) has scored vital goals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

Henderson should have been in instead of Gerrard IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

When was the last time Man Utd didn't have a player in this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Would have Speroni in there before Marshall as he's played a big part in his team's revival.

Or any current Champions for that matter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

It's amazing there's always 1 or 2 average keepers who people mention as being deserving of being in the teams of the season. Even though they've let in tonnes of goals and rarely keep any clean sheets. They only look good because they have so many shots taken on them every game. The keepers at teams in the top quarter of teams are always the best but that doesn't show up on MotD much. Cech is deserving enough I guess though I'd give it to De Gea in a biased turn. Hart has looked good whenever I've seen him recently too, done well to come back after a shaky period.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Amazing how Seamus Coleman was completely overlooked by Trap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

It's a pretty good squad with a couple of errors in my book. Delighted to see Coleman there. We have a gem there folks and it's great that everyone is seeing it.

De Gea has been really good this year. I know United are way down the league but its based on individual performances....or at least it should be. De Gea over Cech this season. Cech was the wrong choice. I'd have had Lloris over Cech this year too. He's made some truly brilliant saves.

Kompany is there on reputation alone. He has been decidedly average. He has made way more mistakes than Terry. I cant really get my head around that one.

The Gerrard/Ramsey one is a toss up. I can understand both points of view. If Ramsey had stayed fit, it might be a different story but he didn't and that's that. Gerrard's had a good year. It makes sense.

I think its enlightening that there are no United or Arsenal players in there....but atleast Arsenal's guys got close. Ramsey for one. Ozil had a great start too. Their back 5 have looked solid enough when all fit. But apart from De Gea, nobody in a United shirt has got anywhere near the best 11.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

As I've said before, Seamus Coleman signed for Everton for £60,000. From that price tag to being named in the PFA Team of the Year. Surely one of the best bargains of all time. Wonder what he's worth now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

John Terry should really be in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Amazing how Seamus Coleman was completely overlooked by Trap

:confused:

Was a regular starter in the last campaign under Trapp?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    :confused:

Was a regular starter in the last campaign under Trapp?
    Should have been a regular in the campaign before that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Truly amazing really. Such an abject season of failure for them given the players at their disposal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Truly amazing really. Such an abject season of failure for them given the players at their disposal.

Its not even the not having a player in the team of the year. Its that you could only begin to make a case for a single player De Gea. A case for any other player would be rightly laughed out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

Not disagreeing or anything but I really don't understand where this Marshall talk is coming from . . . .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

It would be interesting to know what Coleman's valuation is right now.Surely nothing less than £20 million???

Its a great endorsment too for the league of Ireland that the best right back in England was a LOI man.

It would be great if Sligo Rovers have a sell on clause because that day might not be far away.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭kevinroche3333

Who would have been in second place in the poll for each position?
    I guess the likes of Terry were not too far away, but who would be RB after Coleman? CB along with Terry? RM instead of Lallana?
    Second string XI would be interesting to pick and compare choices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

1990. Liverpool won the league that year...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Just thought,Coleman would be the third ex-LOI man to be in the PFA team of the year after Paul McGrath and Roy Keane.

I think Kevin Doyle got a PFA Championship team of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Mine
    De Gea;Coleman, Terry, Koscielny, Azpilicueta, Gerrard, Ramsey, Toure, Lallana, Suarez, Hazard.

It would be interesting to know what Coleman's valuation is right now.Surely nothing less than £20 million???

Its a great endorsment too for the league of Ireland that the best right back in England was a LOI man.

It would be great if Sligo Rovers have a sell on clause because that day might not be far away.

I would say around £15m (which would be around 18m Euro). Not many fullbacks that I can remember commanding £20m.

• Advertisement

Knex. wrote: »
    I would say around £15m (which would be around 18m Euro). Not many fullbacks that I can remember commanding £20m.

Glen Johnson was bought by Liverpool few years ago for over 20 million euros
    http://www.theguardian.com/football/2009/jun/16/glen-johnson-liverpool-portsmouth-chelsea

Recently Arsenal signed Monreal for 10 million euros.

Coleman is not 26 until October, wouldnt command the wages of some more high profile wing backs, and in an age where fullbacks in top teams need to be good offensively Everton would be mad to sell for less than 15million pounds imo

Glen Johnson was bought by Liverpool few years ago for over 20 million euros
    http://www.theguardian.com/football/2009/jun/16/glen-johnson-liverpool-portsmouth-chelsea

Recently Arsenal signed Monreal for 10 million euros.

Coleman is not 26 until October, wouldnt command the wages of some more high profile wing backs, and in an age where fullbacks in top teams need to be good offensively Everton would be mad to sell for less than 15million pounds imo

I agree. I don't see him leaving, really. Similar to Baines scenario.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Np Azpilicueta is a joke, maybe terry too.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Np Azpilicueta is a joke, maybe terry too.

Azp has been top class for sure but he didnt start the season as first choice.
    He only played 4 league games before December: http://www.chelsea-mad.co.uk/chelsea/player/season_145/cesar_azpilicueta_41328/index.shtml

Dont understand how Terry was left out for Kompany, maybe players voting for personalities comes into it too. Kompany seems very likeable whereas Terry has history but on the pitch this season he has been excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

I'd have gone with Marshall; Coleman, Terry, Cahill, Shaw; Lallana, Gerrard, Toure, Hazard; Suarez, Sturridge. Boring 4-4-2 but I reckon all 4 MFs deserve a place.

Honourable mentions for Cech, Azpilicueta, Sterling, Ramsey and Rodriguez

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Manzoor14

Decent looking team. Only change i'd make is Koscielny for Kompany and possibly Speroni for Cech.

16 of Arsenal's 41 goals conceded were when Koscielny wasn't on the pitch! (subbed/sent off 4 times and missed 6 games with injury/suspension)

Advertisement