Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bug Spray?

Options
  • 27-04-2014 9:50pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭

My reliable old brand of bug spray that I bought abroad a few years ago has finally run out. Any recommendations from the good people on here for a reliable alternative?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭wolfeye

A spray with Deet is probably the best or if you dont like using chemicals a spray with citronella oil.
    Lidl sell a spray at certain times evey year that contains Deet ,thats where i get mine.
    Different brands can have different percentages of Deet in it,so some are more powerful than others..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Brilliant, thanks!

Are these applied to skin or clothing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭jetfiremuck

Amazon uk search Deet. 100% deet. Free shipping uk.....use parcel motel. Pump spray.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭wolfeye

Best applied to skin.
    Deet and some clothing materials are not meant to go well together.

You can get stuff called Permethrin for clothing,but i never used it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lifesystems-Ex4-Permethrin-Treatment-350Ml/dp/B002WN1S5Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1398687753&sr=8-1&keywords=permethrin

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭preacherman

Tabnabs wrote: »
    My reliable old brand of bug spray that I bought abroad a few years ago has finally run out. Any recommendations from the good people on here for a reliable alternative?

If it's just for midges then I've found "smidge" good. You should be able to find it online.

Treat clothing with permethrin for ticks. A treatment usually lasts about 6 weeks.

Deet is overkill for Ireland in my opinion, I don't particularly like chemicals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

If you're worried about the strength, you can dilute 100% DEET down with ethanol to a strength that works for you, without immersing yourself in full strength insecticide. I've found 25-30% more than enough no matter where I've been, but some people seem to be a magnet for anything that bites, so tailor it to suit yourself.

Advertisement