Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most comfortable way to sleep when camping

Options
  • 27-04-2014 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭

Beaver leader off on camp soon with the kiddies. Last time I went I just had a single, self inflating mattress and every time I turned over, I was off it, also very uncomfortable.

What would be more comfortable, a raised fold up bed?

Need advice please, maybe from someone else middle aged used to home comforts!!

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Greystoner wrote: »
    Beaver leader off on camp soon with the kiddies. Last time I went I just had a single, self inflating mattress and every time I turned over, I was off it, also very uncomfortable.

What would be more comfortable, a raised fold up bed?

Need advice please, maybe from someone else middle aged used to home comforts!!

Thanks.

Hotel near the campsite!

Seriously though. Foam mat and a sleeping bag. Get good and tired during the day and you'll get the best night's sleep you've ever had sleeping out in the fresh air, and wake up to birdsong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

Sleep on the ground. Be a man

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Greystoner

Sleep on the ground. Be a man

Funny! why would I want to be a man, I am happy being a lady! ;)

Also recovering from an op, so need a bit of comfort. Has any one got any experience of the fold up beds, are they a waste of time?

Thanks in advance for helpful answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Sinister Kid

You can get a single inflatable bed with the sleeping bag attached, think I seen them in argos... that way you wouldnt be able to fall out.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭RICHIE.39

You could also put your mat and bag inside a bivvy bag, that'll stop slipping. The campbeds are ok, I'm big enough and must admit I still woke when I tried one in the house. Kept hitting an elbow or knee off the bars. Can be awkward to set up but if you use a bat or strong stick to lever the bars into place it helps. Obviously I'm talking about the larger steel framed cotbeds for around E50. :-) single ready bed is the other setup mentioned above, they're brilliant. inflatable bed inside a bag. Hope this helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Greystoner wrote: »
    Also recovering from an op, so need a bit of comfort. Has any one got any experience of the fold up beds, are they a waste of time?

I've only slept on a fold-up bed when staying over at someone else's house. They are a bit bulky to carry around, obviously.

For sleeping mats, have a look at Exped and Thermarest. They are very comfortable and nowhere near the weight or bulk of a fold-up bed.
    Exped Downmat 9
    Exped Synmat 7
    Thermarest NeoAir

Vango also do inflatable sleeping mats for €40 in places like Great Outdoors.

Maybe worth considering, but if you are recovering from an op, maybe you need all the comfort that you can get, assuming that you are not lugging the weight too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

Have you considered a hammock ? they are meant to be very comfy.

you can get a thicker thermarest for more comfort and use some rope to attach it to the sleeping bag to the self inflating mattress to keep you on it. (linked in the above post

but also you could just get a double air mattress and a foot pump and pillow and you will be just as comfortable as you would be at home they have them in tescos somethimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭thehippychippy

I've slept on a mat and in a hammock and imo, hammocks are the way to go for a very comfortable nights sleep. Then again, you do need at least 2 trees to hang it off, and you can't use a conventional tent with a hammock either

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,294 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Hammock, extremely comfortable. If they don't appeal to you then get a sleeping mat like the ones The Mustard mentioned.

Advertisement