Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Luis Suarez crowned pfa player of the year.

• 27-04-2014 11:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭

What a difference a year makes!

Fully deserved he has put in stunning performances this season.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

rob316 wrote: »
    What a difference a year makes!

Fully deserved he has put in stunning performances this season.

a consolation prize after the result today but still well-deserved

imagine the guy's stats if he took penalties

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

It's a personal thing, recognition from your fellow pros.

30 goals and 12 assists in 31 appearances. No penalties.
    I didn't think we would see those kind of figures again after Ronaldo left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

donfers wrote: »
    a consolation prize after the result today but still well-deserved

imagine the guy's stats if he took penalties

Imagine the guys stats if he could score against the "big" teams.

Edit: fair dues, got a hammering for my lazy phrasing of this post, and probably deserved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Oh lord.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I don't even...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

A great player.

Congratulations to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

tumblr_mez8esWtKB1qbc3v1.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

4 posts in it starts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

It only took 4 posts for someone to type out some nonsense. This place sometimes.

Fully deserved, incredible player. Say what you want about him as a person, I love watching him play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

LOL! The Chafski supporter (I think, who cares - not Luis Suarez!).

Hazard is young player, Sturridge was runner up.

Congratulation Liverpool ladies defender Martha Harris named @PFA Women's Young Player of the Year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

PFA Team of the Year: Cech, Coleman, Cahill, Kompany, Shaw, Lallana, Gerrard, Toure, Hazard, Sturridge, Suarez.

Very happy for Coleman. Thoroughly deserved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

djPSB wrote: »
    Oh lord.
    Surprised it took 4 posts
    Well done Luis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

He deserves player of the year, no question. Does not take away from fact his stats would have been even better if he had scored in the games against Liverpools nearest rivals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Thoroughly deserved.
    Delighted for Coleman too .

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

PFA Team of the Year: Cech, Coleman, Cahill, Kompany, Shaw, Lallana, Gerrard, Toure, Hazard, Sturridge, Suarez.

Very happy for Coleman. Thoroughly deserved.

Can't really argue with that. Bit mad that Arsenal have nobody given how well they started the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

That's bollix and I'm not even a Liverpool supporter. Some of his performances have been top class against the big teams, goals aren't everything. He didn't score against Arsenal but he probably was the best player on the pitch and he nearly had two goal of the year contenders in that match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Can't really argue with that. Bit mad that Arsenal have nobody given how well they started the season.

I would argue for Koscielny and Silva's inclusion. Probably at the expense of Kompany and Gerrard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Had it wrapped up by January in fairness. No real challenger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

Couldn't of seen it going to anyone else. Well deserved

Is it though? The season match schedule happened to fall kindly for Arsenal in the Autumn, then Ozil flattered to deceive, Ramsey got injured, Wilshire was never anything more than fleetingly good, and the defenders turned to crap when the pressure was on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

And Messi couldn't cut it on a cold winter night in Stoke.....

Gimme a break...

And Messi couldn't cut it on a cold winter night in Stoke.....

Gimme a break...

Wellllll in current form it's debatable whether he's cutting it on a perfect conditions night.

Liverpool win again!

PFAawards Winner PFA Women's Players' Player of the Year: @LucyBronze

Three gongs is not bad in one night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Kompany and Gerrard should not be in the team of the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭BNMC

Cech in goals is crazy. Gerrard? Good Lord.. David Silva should be in there.

Well done to Coleman, he's been unbelievable all season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

Not much to talk about really, the clear winner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

suarez is a genius to have been booed last year at the same awards to this year been praised fair play to him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Living up to your name, exactly 12 words. Well played sir

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Had it wrapped up by January in fairness. No real challenger.

Ramsey was up there with him until January to be fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Well deserved to be fair. Yaya Toure a close second I'd imagine.

In other news, the young player of the year being a 23 year old is stupid, it should be held to 21 and under, but under the rules Hazard deserved it.

I don't think anyone can complain with Suarez and Hazard the winners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Cant even imagine that runner up was close. Suarez has been fantastic, surprised that Henderson is not in there for someone, he has been the real driver behind our performances. People do not often spot the just doing your job quietly benefits and the massive positive impact it has on a team.

Ramsey was up there with him until January to be fair.

Maybe should have said end of January, doing Ramsey a little of a disservice there but I still think Suarez was getting further out on his own at the time of Ramsey's injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Paully D wrote: »
    Well deserved to be fair. Yaya Toure a close second I'd imagine.

In other news, the young player of the year being a 23 year old is stupid, it should be held to 21 and under, but under the rules Hazard deserved it.

I don't think anyone can complain with Suarez and Hazard the winners.

Hazard came second which surprises me because I thought Toure deserved that spot. No doubt Suarez merited the main prize.

I would have given Shaw the young player award personally but I can't quibble too much with Hazard taking it.

Do agree that Rambo was hard done by injury. Also think Arsenal in general were hard done by injuries and Wenger's refusal to adapt game plan to accomodate weaker players.

Still think Suarez was hands down one of the most exciting players playing in Europe that I saw. At times any time he got the ball you just didn't know what was going to happen. He was sublime and the accolade is thoroughly deserved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Welcome back into the bosom of the English football media Luis, you little scamp you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

CSF wrote: »
    I would argue for Koscielny and Silva's inclusion. Probably at the expense of Kompany and Gerrard.

Would disagree with you on Kos, I'd have Terry and Skrtel ahead of him. Would agree that Silva could be argued for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

hefferboi wrote: »
    Would disagree with you on Kos, I'd have Terry and Skrtel ahead of him. Would agree that Silva could be argued for.

Martin "OG" Skrtel? Conceded far too many goals to be considered for me. I think Koscielny has a legitimate reason to be there - he was only really involved in one of Arsenal's hammerings (the Liverpool game, and conceded 2 v City before injury), and has generally been superb this season.

I'd have Terry-Koscielny as the defenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

would not say weakest but defiantly the most one-sided suarez was pure class no other competition came close

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

This is what sealed it for him December I think. It may have been only Norwich but imo its one of the best individual PL performances ever.

All 4 goals are of world class quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

If we are talking actual young players, then Sterling should have got YPOTY, with Shaw second.

Sterling has been Liverpool's best player when they needed it most in the last few weeks. Since he broke back into the Liverpool team in December, he's made 21 starts, scored 9 goals and got 5 assists, playing right wing, left wing and central.

If we are talking actual young players, then Sterling should have got YPOTY, with Shaw second.

Sterling has been Liverpool's best player when they needed it most in the last few weeks. Since he broke back into the Liverpool team in December, he's made 21 starts, scored 9 goals and got 5 assists, playing right wing, left wing and central.

Yeah but we're not we're talking about the YPOTY award and Hazard got it and rightly so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Yeah but we're not we're talking about the YPOTY award and Hazard got it and rightly so.

Yes, but I (like plenty of others) am making the point that Hazard and Sturridge should not have been up for this award. I made that clear. Hazard was the best eligible player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I think he is top quality, he would be a legend if he stopped the play acting. Nothing I hate worse then this diving lark!!!!

I would have gave it to Toure myself, proper legend.

Yes, but I (like plenty of others) am making the point that Hazard and Sturridge should not have been up for this award. I made that clear. Hazard was the best eligible player.

I agree on the age thing but we know the criteria every year, it always ends up with the winner being undermined. It was the same with Bale, them's the rules and all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Henderson for Gerrard.

Cahill for Kompany.

Marshall for Cech.

apart from those IMO, spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

SlickRic wrote: »
    Henderson for Gerrard.

Cahill for Kompany.

Marshall for Cech.

apart from those IMO, spot on.

Cahill & Kompany are both included aren't they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Martin "OG" Skrtel? Conceded far too many goals to be considered for me. I think Koscielny has a legitimate reason to be there - he was only really involved in one of Arsenal's hammerings (the Liverpool game, and conceded 2 v City before injury), and has generally been superb this season.

I'd have Terry-Koscielny as the defenders.

I'm Skrtel's biggest critic but he's been top class this year. Hasn't missed a game if I'm right, and no consistency with regards his defensive partner can't be easy. He's been at fault for very little of our goals conceded and also bagged a few himself. I'd definitely have him ahead of Kos, who's not been as good as recent seasons imo, but probably not as good as Terry and Cahill. I wouldn't have Kompany in the team either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Another Great Performance by Suarez :D

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

He's won the writer's Association player of the year too: http://www.football365.com/premier-league/9298267/Suarez-Wins-Another-Individual-Gong...

• Advertisement
Advertisement