Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Luis Suarez crowned pfa player of the year.

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Yeah but imagine if..... OK, I'll stop. Well deserved, he got 50 odd percent of the vote and fair way ahead of Steven Gerrard in 2nd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭amber69

Yeah but imagine if..... OK, I'll stop. Well deserved, he got 50 odd percent of the vote and fair way ahead of Steven Gerrard in 2nd.

Stevie didn't deserve 2nd he doesn't score against the big teams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

He deserves it ,Was fantastic this season .

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Toure for me, the one player that every team wants.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Well deserved and what a fantastic player for both his scoring and assists this season.

Absolutely over the moon for the guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Only looking at team now,Cech very very questionable choice,is well past his best,Marshall or De Gea have been more consistent,
    Kompany not nearly as good as last year,would have Kos in his place,or Lovren.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Found this very interesting, said id post it in a few of the relevant soccer threads, see what ye think.

This is the table of Premier League's top scorers (top 15):
    1. Suarez - 31
    2. Sturridge - 21
    3. Toure - 20
    4. Rooney - 17
    4. Aguero - 17
    6. Bony - 16
    6. Dzeko - 16
    6. Giroud - 16
    9. Lukaku - 15
    9. Rodriguez - 15
    11. Hazard - 14
    11. Remy - 14
    13. Gerrard - 13
    13. Lambert - 13
    14. Van Persie -12

Now, when you look at how many of these player's goals were actually game-changing goals (a goal scored when behind, an equaliser or a goal scored to go 1 up) you see a very different table. Percentage of goals scored that were game changing is in brackets.

1. Sturridge - 13 (62%)
    2. Bony - 12 (75%)
    3. Rooney - 11 (65%)
    3. Giroud - 11 (69%)
    3. Remy - 11 (78%)
    6. Aguero - 10 (59%)
    6. Hazard - 10 (71%)
    6. Lukaku - 10 (66%)
    6. Gerrard - 10 (77%)
    6. Van Persie - 10 (83%)
    11. Dzeko - 9 (58%)
    11. Suarez - 9 (29%)
    11. Rodriguez - 9 (60%)
    14. Toure - 6 (30%)
    15. Lambert - 5 (38%)

So Sturridge scored the most important goals, followed by Bony.

Amazingly 10 players scored more important goals than the Player of the Year Luis Suarez, and 13 players scored more important goals than Yaya Toure.

83% of the time Van Persie scored was an important goal, itd make you wonder what if he'd been fit all season.

Itd also make you wonder was Suarez worth his Player of the Year award?

^
    Possibly one of the worst uses of stats I've ever seen on boards and I've seen a lot. Worse than the English players only league table.

If anyone can't see past goals scored and ignore every other contribution I'd wouldn't take them even a bit seriously.

Looks like Toure and Suarez aren't that important on that list :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I see he's getting the old "he doesn't score important goals" line that Ronaldo used to get.

amazing.

he can be safe in the knowledge that he's a truly great player now that these sorts of stats are being used against him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

donfers wrote: »
    a consolation prize after the result today but still well-deserved

imagine the guy's stats if he took penalties

31 goals 12 assists in 38 games. He's terrible at penalties.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

rarnes1 wrote: »
    ^
    Possibly one of the worst uses of stats I've ever seen on boards and I've seen a lot. Worse than the English players only league table.

If anyone can't see past goals scored and ignore every other contribution I'd wouldn't take them even a bit seriously.

It is pretty rubbish to be fair.
    Suarez scores a hatrick in a game and only one is considered important so 33%.
    He would have a much higher % if he didnt score so many.

^

Just creating a bit of discussion its not exactly my views

^

And obviously the goals scored stat only deals with goals and ignores other contributions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

The league wasn't that far from being decided on goal difference. Those goals at 2-0, 3-0 up etc for the likes of Suarez and Yaya could be hailed then as the ones that won the league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

ricero wrote: »
    would not say weakest but defiantly the most one-sided suarez was pure class no other competition came close

Completely disagree. Yaya Toure was absolutely magnificent this year. Led the league in passes, passes in opponents half of the pitch and forward passes, as well as 20 goals and 9 assists. He won City the title basically.

• Advertisement

Silva isn't even on the list.

Nothing player.

Silva isn't even on the list.

Nothing player.

Ridiculous statement.

You'd have to question the knowledge of a person who says that.

The list is the top scorers, not top players.

Ridiculous statement.

You'd have to question the knowledge of a person who says that.

The list is the top scorers, not top players.

Oh really, never knew that!

Top scorers aren't top players by the looks of it!

Oh really, never knew that!

Top scorers aren't top players by the looks of it!

How'd ya not know that ffs...

Course they are, they just arent the only top players.

How'd ya not know that ffs...

Course they are, they just arent the only top players.

Seriously, get your sarcasm detector fixed. It's probably not a top top model!

• Advertisement

Seriously, get your sarcasm detector fixed. It's probably not a top top model!

Im only risin ya :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,981 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Have to say that it would be nice to see the award shared sometimes. Personally I couldn't split Suarez and Yaya Toure, both of them were phenomenal this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

eagle eye wrote: »
    Have to say that it would be nice to see the award shared sometimes. Personally I couldn't split Suarez and Yaya Toure, both of them were phenomenal this season.

Would be inclined to agree. Suarez had some year but i think the fact that his form waned significantly as Liverpool's title challenge faltered is a bit of a knock. Toure was consistently brilliant this year, on top of his great stats i'd swear he could have been man of the match 10 times and one of the three best players on the pitch another ten, the way he got around the pitch and took over games, especially so often in the big ones, was unreal....He's cemented himself as the best midfielder in the league now. He keeps this up and he'll be City's greatest ever player before much longer.

I'd also argue that a central midfielder playing at that level contributes more to a team than a forward at suarez's level just by the nature of the game. For example, take Lampard from Chelsea in his prime or Keano at utd in his prime along with Yaya in his time at City. Without any of them their teams would have experienced far less success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Suarez all the way up to February but Yaya really came of age when it mattered.

IMO Yaya still does not get the credit he deserves.

Some think his passing and positioning is questionable, but that's laughable. In fairness not seen that here, or much anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

For the games they played, I think Ramsey was more impressive than Toure.

You'd've found it hard to find anyone suggesting Toure had been more impressive until Ramsey got his injury.

Obviously Toure ended up with the better season overall, but Ramsey's potential is very exciting looking at next season, considering the fact that he's still improving.

Suarez for me way outperformed either of them. He didn't have all the quality around him that Toure had either.

Suarez all the way up to February but Yaya really came of age when it mattered.

IMO Yaya still does not get the credit he deserves.

Some think his passing and positioning is questionable, but that's laughable. In fairness not seen that here, or much anyway.

The complete midfielder. Love watching him play tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Just to clarify my first point was not meant be dig about Suarez either.

He had super season and deserved the award, but I dont think he was miles ahead like some suggest.

I also don't buy into the Suarez does not deliver in big games argument. Not yet anyway. Would have to take that over longer period. Every player has slight dip when on terrific form it just so happened that Suarez slight dip(and was just a dip from his high standards) happened at end of season.

But, I do think Yaya was very close to him and when they needed a leader he dragged them through especially those last 4 games. Games where City of old may have crumbled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Yaya is class but he can be very lazy in going back to defend.

Advertisement