Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

hand cream for broken skin

• 28-04-2014 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi all,

Im looking for any recommendations for a good intensive handcream. I've tried lots of different brands but haven't found one that I love. The skin around my fingers is very broken and cracked. (If that makes sense?!)

Thanks all

SM

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I find any rich handcream very irritating when my hands are cracked and sore. I'd recommend getting an aloe vera plant and using the gel to soothe your hands 3 or 4 times a day until they're healed (takes 2-4 days max for me), then using Body Shop Hemp Handcream a few times a day to maintain it. I'm very careful with soaps etc too when my hands are like that - no very hot water, dry thoroughly, change handtowels very regularly, mild unscented soap or emulsifying ointment instead of soap. Hope they're feeling better soon!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 360 ✭✭Olive8585

Lush helping hands! It has a horrid cloying smell but it works

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

I love all of these, particularly the hemp cream. Its very rich and thick and does take a while to soak in, and it will sting, but the results are 100% worth it.

I have very dry and cracked skin which can sometimes bleed (esp in the winter time) and find they all work fantastically.

The Elizabeth Arden is my favourite, but if my hands are very bad I will use the hemp cream as it is much better for that.

http://www.boots.ie/en/Elizabeth-Arden-Eight-Hour-Cream-Intensive-Moisturizing-Hand-Treatment-75ml_16273/

www.fragrancedirect.co.uk sometimes have the Elizbeth Arden cream, and it works out about €10, so a lot cheaper than in store, delivery takes about a week with them. Or if you use parcel motel, about 2-3 days in my experience.

This heel balm is amazing too, richer and heavier than the EL cream but not as heavy as the hemp cream.

http://www.boots.ie/en/Sanctuary-Intensive-Rescue-Heel-Balm_1113823/

This is the hemp cream - http://www.thebodyshop.co.uk/shop-by-range/hemp/hemp-hand-protector.aspx

They have a set too, they often have discount codes and I managed to get this set for about £8 rather than £25.

http://www.thebodyshop.co.uk/gifts/25-and-under-gifts/hemp-head-to-toe-body-care.aspx

You do need to use Parcel Motel for the Body Shop though as they don't ship to Ireland unfortunately :(

Edit: The Body Shop do in fact have an Irish website - http://www.thebodyshop.ie/

The stuff is far more expensive though so I would probably stick with the UK site and use Parcel Motel to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 aoifemcd

I have very dry cracked skin on my hands that gets so bad it hurts to touch things. I have eczema so I think it's related to that but the only cream I've found to work is palmers cocoa butter formula intensive hand cream.

I've never found anything else to work and I've tried so many. This was the only cream that left my hands feeling moisturised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

La Roche Posay Cicaplast Baume B5 - I'm not kidding this stuff is magic!

I find myself raving about it to an extent people must think I'm getting a kick back from it but having used it myself and having seen the results on people I've recommended it to in work it really is incredible

linky

• Advertisement

aoifemcd wrote: »
    I have very dry cracked skin on my hands that gets so bad it hurts to touch things. I have eczema so I think it's related to that but the only cream I've found to work is palmers cocoa butter formula intensive hand cream.

I've never found anything else to work and I've tried so many. This was the only cream that left my hands feeling moisturised.

Have you tried Eurcerin? It contains 5% or 10% eurea and is a miracle for dry skin. I had a bad reactive dermatitis that left my hands with skin so dry and cracked I had to hold them like claws so as not to split the skin further. My dermatologist pointed me at this stuff and I used the 10% at first. Within hours my skin felt and looked about 80% improved. I've continued to use the 5% in winter as a preventative.

Fantastic stuff for dryness and cracked or damaged skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 aoifemcd

Candie wrote: »
    Have you tried Eurcerin? It contains 5% or 10% eurea and is a miracle for dry skin. I had a bad reactive dermatitis that left my hands with skin so dry and cracked I had to hold them like claws so as not to split the skin further. My dermatologist pointed me at this stuff and I used the 10% at first. Within hours my skin felt and looked about 80% improved. I've continued to use the 5% in winter as a preventative.

Fantastic stuff for dryness and cracked or damaged skin.

I have and strange as it sounds it worked for my feet but not my hands...I have no idea why

The dermatologist recommended things to me and they cleared the eczema on my legs and arms but I've found palmers the best for my hands

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭quinevere

La Roche Posay Cicaplast Baume B5 - I'm not kidding this stuff is magic!

I find myself raving about it to an extent people must think I'm getting a kick back from it but having used it myself and having seen the results on people I've recommended it to in work it really is incredible

linky

It is really good....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I love Badger balms. Organic, 100% natural and not tested on animals. I get it from Iherb or Amazon and love the unperfumed sensitive skin salve. It's basically beeswax and olive oil. I lather it on going to bed as it's so rich it can be a bit messy, but used sparingly during the day it absorbs well. It's about 7 pounds for a tin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭Bosley1421

Another recommend for cicaplast here! You can put it literally everywhere you have sore skin, even lips.
    The Elizabeth Arden one is great, but pricey.

I'm currently using Liz Earle hand repair and it's excellent. I have dermatitis and the essential oils don't inflame my skin at all in this.

No one has mentioned the Clarins hand cream yet, but I actually don't get on with it despite the hype. Too greasy for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭verywell

I find the Elizabeth Arden 8 hour green good for lumps, bumps, scratches etc. Dab a bit on at night if you think it is too sticky. I use it any time and think it is great stuff. It did wonder for my nails too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

Another recommendation for La Roche Posay cicaplast here too. I've got dermatitis and my poor hands get destroyed in work and the cicaplast hand cream is amaaaaazing. Best I've used and I've tried so so so many!

Advertisement