Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

30 For 30 - Hillsborough

• 28-04-2014 12:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭

I'm unsure if it has been posted before so apologies if it has, but for those unaware, ESPN's 30 For 30 series released a documentary entitled "Hillsborough" a couple of weeks ago.

30 For 30 documentaries are always some of the best pieces of television out there, and this one is no different despite the obviously tragic nature of the subject. It does a fine job of portraying the families continued fight and the subsequent effect it had on English football.

It's directed by Daniel Gordon who has directed many excellent documentaries including the '9.79*' 30 For 30 about the famous 100m mens race in the 1988 summer Olympics.

The first part is available on YouTube, with the link below that the full documentary (about 1 hour 40 minutes long) if anyone's interested:

http://www.disclose.tv/action/viewvideo/172435/Hillsborough__30_for_30_Soccer_Stories__ESPN_Films/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

Just watched the first half of this last night. It's very good, I remember seeing a documentary about Hillsborough on Channel 4 a couple of years back similar to this but I think this one presents the information a lot clearer.

FYI, Tuesday night, 30 for 30 are doing Ireland V Italy in 1994 and the massacre at Loughinisland which happened on the same night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

johnnykilo wrote: »
    Just watched the first half of this last night. It's very good, I remember seeing a documentary about Hillsborough on Channel 4 a couple of years back similar to this but I think this one presents the information a lot clearer.

FYI, Tuesday night, 30 for 30 are doing Ireland V Italy in 1994 and the massacre at Loughinisland which happened on the same night.

Cheers. Only 30 minutes in length though which is a shame, that's pretty short compared to the usual 30 For 30 offerings of 60 minutes.

The Two Escobars is also superb if one is looking for another 30 For 30 to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I watched it last week, does a fine job of portraying the information without much directorial involvement, just lets the family members present their facts and allows the watcher to see how this disgrace of organisation and subsequent cover up destroyed lives rather than overly make it about the justice campaign in the early stages. This means it makes the viewer feel like there has been an injustice and angry before the process of the justice campaign is brought into it. Does a good job of allowing the viewer to stand in the shoes of the families, albeit obviously on a much smaller scale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

There were a number of things that I was unaware of that I learned from this documentary. It was very informative on the facts.

What I found extremely depressing was the fact that the main police chief who would have been covering this game and had years upon years of experience was transferred from Sheffield to Barnsley a couple of weeks prior to the semi-final because, completely out of his control, two officers decided to play a (albeit very serious) prank on a colleague. It just shows how small events can combine to cause a domino affect and sometimes have horrendous consequences.

It's tough, tough viewing.

Out of interest, what is the next step for the families now that the truth was made known? Will those in the police who altered officers statements etc be brought to court or is there any chance that they will be jailed? Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Must watch this. They can't show it in the UK for awhile I believe due to the new inquest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

What channel is it on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

LeBash wrote: »
    What channel is it on?

ESPN according to the OP.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭RayCon

Thanks man ... looks good ... 30 for 30 are nearly always excellent documentaries

Here's the tralier

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r38Vu7DDk64

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

RayCon wrote: »
    Thanks man ... looks good ... 30 for 30 are nearly always excellent documentaries

Here's the tralier

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r38Vu7DDk64

When will we get to view it?

The ESPN we get on Sky are showing a baseball game tomorrow night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Maybe a while to get it here at all.

You may have to view it by other means like hope someone uploads it on youtube

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭RayCon

Ive put a request up on a few sites so see if somebody will upload once it's aired

Advertisement