Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Increase while getting rent allowance?

Options
  • 28-04-2014 12:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

What happens if the landlord decides to increase the rent above the allowed limit for rent allowance? Rents in our area are about 100 - 150 euro higher than the limit set for rent allowance. Our contract is up for renewal in the summer but i'd say the rent will go up. Is it a case of informing cwo & then paying the rent out of my husbands unemployment assistance? Moving would be pointless as there would be no where to move to if all the rents are higher than what is allowed

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

WhiteTiger wrote: »
    What happens if the landlord decides to increase the rent above the allowed limit for rent allowance? Rents in our area are about 100 - 150 euro higher than the limit set for rent allowance. Our contract is up for renewal in the summer but i'd say the rent will go up. Is it a case of informing cwo & then paying the rent out of my husbands unemployment assistance? Moving would be pointless as there would be no where to move to if all the rents are higher than what is allowed

You're screwed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

This is not helpful. Constructive input would be appreciated.
    You're screwed.

This is not helpful. Constructive input would be appreciated.

Fine I'll be helpful

You lose your rent allowance.
    That's it. You either move somewhere that falls into the limit or you pay out of your pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Op theres honestly not a lot you can do ,
    Your not allowed top up your rent from weekly payments ,

Your in the same situation as 100's of other tenants on rent allowence around the country ,
    Your only option will be to start looking for another property in the area or further afield with cheaper rent ,or try negotiate with your landlord and hope he doesn't seek a big increase

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Gatling wrote: »
    Op theres honestly not a lot you can do ,
    Your not allowed top up your rent from weekly payments ,

Your in the same situation as 100's of other tenants on rent allowence around the country ,
    Your only option will be to start looking for another property in the area or further afield with cheaper rent ,or try negotiate with your landlord and hope he doesn't seek a big increase

Or pay the difference. That's always an option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

3DataModem wrote: »
    Or pay the difference. That's always an option.

that's against the rules of the scheme

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Boombastic wrote: »

Thanks for clarifying - was not aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭gemini_girl

We already have to do that (i know we're not meant to) but house sold to new landlord so i doubt they will falsify documents which is wrong. We live in the cheapest area regarding rent for a 30 mile radius & we are on a waiting list 4 years for a council house in our area so cannot move areas as you have to live in the area you have requested housing in. Our son also attends an educate together school here & without going into too much detail it would have a very negative affect on his mental health to move school.
    So what would normally happen? We inform cwo of rent increase & is the rent allowance just stopped immediately? There is a 1 bed apt in our area for 650 so we could technically put our 2 children into the double bed & me & husband could take a sofa. Would that be allowed under letting rules?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

It's against the rules but this is what would happen:

LL increases rent to market rate. He doesn't much care what the maximum rates are for rent supplement-not his problem. The tenant can then pay him this amount (making up the shortfall from other welfare payment). This can continue until the department send out a form (which they do from time to time) which requires the landlord to indicate the rent charged and to sign it. It's at this point that the "topping up" will become apparent and RS will be suspended.

The OP can thus at best delay the inevitable looking for a new place, unless they find a way off RS in the mean time.

• Advertisement

So what would normally happen? We inform cwo of rent increase & is the rent allowance just stopped immediately?
    They have some discretion I believe but I know of cases where it was stopped abruptly. It#s one of the reasons LL hate RS in the first place. Too erratic altogether. The people administering it forget that it has huge repercussions for both the LL and tenant.
    There is a 1 bed apt in our area for 650 so we could technically put our 2 children into the double bed & me & husband could take a sofa. Would that be allowed under letting rules?
    They will probably tell you that this is "under accommodation" as you'd qualify for a 3 bed property, though this in itself is crazy-2 kids can easily share a bedroom. They would then go on to put you up instead in emergency accommodation similar to a 1 bed flat (or worse!). Crazy system altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

They expect you to get at least a 2 bed unit.
    IF You pay above rent allowance limits, you,ll likely lose all your rent allowance payments.

Look on daft.ie ,for rent , rent.ie ,see is there cheaper area,s to rent in.
    Most Parents end up getting a 3bed house,
    Go and tell the welfare officer , get advice from crosscare or threshold.
    www.threshold.ie

Op if your already paying more than your allowed your putting yourself in an already awkward position .

Might be an idea to check out , in certain circumstances you can move to another county if needs be and keep your rent allowance and keep your name on the original choice ,
    Its done under strict circumstances though ,

murphaph wrote: »
    They have some discretion I believe but I know of cases where it was stopped abruptly. It#s one of the reasons LL hate RS in the first place. Too erratic altogether. The people administering it forget that it has huge repercussions for both the LL and tenant.

They will probably tell you that this is "under accommodation" as you'd qualify for a 3 bed property, though this in itself is crazy-2 kids can easily share a bedroom. They would then go on to put you up instead in emergency accommodation similar to a 1 bed flat (or worse!). Crazy system altogether.
    It is a crazy system. On daft at the moment in cork there are 803 properties to let & only 47 accept rent allowance so 95% dont take rent allowance. Obviously landlords can get higher rent than the limits set by cwo which leaves people who rely on rent allowance stuck. The whole system needs to be changed. A landlord also wouldnt want to accept a family with a parent out of work incase rent isnt paid etc so very hard on those who've lost their jobs & rent

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

It is a crazy system. On daft at the moment in cork there are 803 properties to let & only 47 accept rent allowance so 95% dont take rent allowance. Obviously landlords can get higher rent than the limits set by cwo which leaves people who rely on rent allowance stuck. The whole system needs to be changed. A landlord also wouldnt want to accept a family with a parent out of work incase rent isnt paid etc so very hard on those who've lost their jobs & rent

The whole system is changing with a new benefit being trialled in Limerick and six other Co Councils this year.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/archives/2014/0325/ireland/limerick-pilot-to-allow-rent-allowance-recipients-return-to-work-263076.html

The Housing Assistance Program will also pay Landlords directly, which should negate some of the current issues Landlords have with rent supplement.

Apparently it will come in across the country in a year or so

Stheno wrote: »
    The whole system is changing with a new benefit being trialled in Limerick and six other Co Councils this year.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/archives/2014/0325/ireland/limerick-pilot-to-allow-rent-allowance-recipients-return-to-work-263076.html

The Housing Assistance Program will also pay Landlords directly, which should negate some of the current issues Landlords have with rent supplement.

Apparently it will come in across the country in a year or so

There will still be limits to what they will pay ,
    Its apparently not replacing rent allowence as a whole ,
    Its a scheme you can choose to avail of like the other schemes run by councils ,
    Add the fact councils want to pass 80% of the housing lists to separate housing associations ,like cluid nabco and a few others ,

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Agreed, though the fact payment will be direct to landlords should change landlords attitudes to it?

Agreed, though the fact payment will be direct to landlords should change landlords attitudes to it?

Its one thing , I honestly don't think it will solve a lot of problems I'm thinking we will have a UK situation where family's and singletons will be scattered to the four corners of the country because welfare or the councils will find cheaper properties to rent from private landlords ,
    Add the majority of people won't move from the areas they have decided to live permanently ,regardless we'll just get more sob stories in the news and Facebook

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭qwertyabcd

My parents rent out a house and the current tenant is on RS and we get the RS cheque sent directly to us.

qwertyabcd wrote: »
    My parents rent out a house and the current tenant is on RS and we get the RS cheque sent directly to us.
    ...which the tenant can have sent to them at any time simply by instructing the DSP to do so. Their arrangement remains with the tenant, that needs to change. The full rent must be paid to LL directly and not at risk of arbitrary cuts after budget day. Leases need to be honoured by the state.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭qwertyabcd

It is also up to the LL to agree to only take RS if the payment is made directly to the LL.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

YOU can go to centrcare, cathedral st,dublin 1,get a list of houses, flats, apartments for rent ,Monday to satrday,that take rent allowance.around 10 am .
    Updated daily,
    also list is at focuspoint cafe ,temple bar, 11 am daily.
    i got a list today,

I got todays List,
    rathcoole, 3bed house bathrooms .
    rent 1250 per month.

barry park,finglas, 3bed , 1bathroom.
    rent 995 per month.

i can pm you the phone no,s if you want.

theres 4 apartment units listed,
    but they have bedrooms,
    850- 950 rent per month.

raneleagh, dublin,2, dublin 6, and balbriggan area,s.

see threshold.ie temple bar cafe,

They go thru all ads on daft,ie, rent.ie , myhome.ie and dublin for rent ads in the papers, daily.

riclad wrote: »
    YOU can go to centrcare, cathedral st,dublin 1,get a list of houses, flats, apartments for rent ,Monday to satrday,that take rent allowance.around 10 am .
    Updated daily,
    also list is at focuspoint cafe ,temple bar, 11 am daily.
    i got a list today,

I got todays List,
    rathcoole, 3bed house bathrooms .
    rent 1250 per month.

barry park,finglas, 3bed , 1bathroom.
    rent 995 per month.

i can pm you the phone no,s if you want.

theres 4 apartment units listed,
    but they have bedrooms,
    850- 950 rent per month.

raneleagh, dublin,2, dublin 6, and balbriggan area,s.

see threshold.ie temple bar cafe,

They go thru all ads on daft,ie, rent.ie , myhome.ie and dublin for rent ads in the papers, daily.

Op is in Cork

OK, go to your local branch of crosscare ,or threshold, in cork ,

At the end of the day the state thought it could bully landlords into taking reduced rents by cutting the RS in dramatic style a couple of years ago. The state was wrong and it burned its bridges with many landlords who may have taken RS until then. The state has to win back private landlord's because the state doesn't and can't afford to house everyone in social housing.

No crosscare in cork afaik. Why Threshold? Aren't they for advise regarding problems with rented housing? I dont think they have a database of LL accepting rent allowance. Of every property on daft for cork only 4% accepts rent allowance & alot of these properties are in extremely isolated in places like the beara peninsula.

Advertisement