Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there any sites/communities for people looking for travel buddies?

• 28-04-2014 7:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭

Basically, I really want to go interrailing this summer. It's kind of a now or never deal, finished college next year so I wanna travel while I can.

However, all my friends either have plans or want to just work through the summer, I'm wondering if anyone knows of any websites or online communities or anything like that where you can meet with likeminded people?

I was considering doing an interrail group package but I think it's a bit of a rip-off despite the benefits of group travel.

Any advice? :o

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Have you heard of couch-surfing? Could meet people 'along the way' doing that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

Yeah I but I think that's a bit too scary for me :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭roro1990

Yeah I but I think that's a bit too scary for me :o

Anyone who has done a solo trip has been sh*tting themselves beforehand, but trust me, it's one of the best things you will ever do so I'd urge you to do it! Couchsurfing is good and a great way to meet people but personally I reckon go it solo and meet people along the way.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

One thing to remember is if you travel alone, pack for travelling alone.

Simple things like popping to the bathroom in a train station requires lugging your rucksack with you. So pack sensibly, pack light.

Travelling alone is fine but also remember to book accommodation in advance as wandering alone in a strange city is not advisable.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Noblong wrote: »
    Have you heard of couch-surfing? Could meet people 'along the way' doing that.

There are couch surfing meet ups regularly. Its a good way to get to know people in various cities and some offer to show people around too

• Advertisement
Advertisement