Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

who do we want...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

Is FDB even the answer. Title winner 4 years in a row... rubbish league. He's just a sexier version of Neil Lennon for all we know.

so the experience of his 6 league titles as a player, 1 CL, 1 UEFA Cup count for nothing, never mind the experience at international level as a player (112 caps at numerous tournaments) and Assistant Manger to a team that were world cup finalists.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Never played or managed in the premier league.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

so the experience of his 6 league titles as a player, 1 CL, 1 UEFA Cup count for nothing, never mind the experience at international level as a player (112 caps at numerous tournaments) and Assistant Manger to a team that were world cup finalists.

No doubt his pedigree and experience as a player puts him ahead of Lennon but all that experience on the field doesn't always translate into the managers office.

FBD would be a much stronger option in terms of his name, he'd attract players to the club and help with players like Vertogen and Eriksson too.

I think he's automatically demand more respect from the players on the training ground then Lennon would too and that's definitely something thats badly needed.

I never thought I'd be saying it (in fact I made some very negative comments about him on the past) but for an all rounder - Benitez has almost everything

- Tonnes of EPL experience
    - Trophies and top 4 finishes in the last 6-8 years
    - Proven ability to work under difficult owners at both anfield and Chelsea
    - Tactically , one of the better managers around.
    - well regarded by previous clubs, players and fans

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭awkwardboy

No doubt his pedigree and experience as a player puts him ahead of Lennon but all that experience on the field doesn't always translate into the managers office.

FBD would be a much stronger option in terms of his name, he'd attract players to the club and help with players like Vertogen and Eriksson too.

I think he's automatically demand more respect from the players on the training ground then Lennon would too and that's definitely something thats badly needed.

I never thought I'd be saying it (in fact I made some very negative comments about him on the past) but for an all rounder - Benitez has almost everything

- Tonnes of EPL experience
    - Trophies and top 4 finishes in the last 6-8 years
    - Proven ability to work under difficult owners at both anfield and Chelsea
    - Tactically , one of the better managers around.
    - well regarded by previous clubs, players and fans

I'd be delighted with Benitez too to be honest. Every other manager we are linked with is high risk, bar LVG that is and maybe his best days are behind hime? We've been taking big risks with managers for far too long now and look at the mess we are in. We are in need of someone who really knows what they are doing, not potential or whatever that is. In my view, he is the prime candidate and there are very few available now, if any, who have better credentials.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 janefisher

I'd say it will prob be moyes or benitez

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭slegs

Benitez or De Boer for me....maybe De Boer really wants PL experience. Barcelona maybe too early for him. If he wants England then we are the highest ranked club with an opening (assuming Man U take Van Gaal)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 carlford959

Van Gaal i want but united seem to have him so second choice would be De Boer i think he could be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

janefisher wrote: »
    I'd say it will prob be moyes or benitez

Mick-McCarthy-007.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Last season I would have hated Benitez, but he did a great job with Chelsea under ridiculous circumstances, has the experience and is mature enough to deal with any ****e in the background.

FDB would definitely be a risk. An exciting risk, no doubt, but more of a risk than Benitez.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Can't believe so many here want Benitez. He'd probably make us harder to beat, especially against better teams, but we'd drop more points against smaller teams, and we'd be constantly boring.

We are Tottenham. We should at least try to play football. No? Are trophies all that matter?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Ormus wrote: »
    We are Tottenham. We should at least try to play football. No? Are trophies all that matter?

As much as i'd like us to play great football and win trophies, i'd be happy with us playing not so great football and winning trophies. It's a hell of a lot better to improve your style of play with some titles and money behind you.

Chelsea fans didn't mind winning the champions league playing dreadful football.

Kiith wrote: »
    As much as i'd like us to play great football and win trophies, i'd be happy with us playing not so great football and winning trophies. It's a hell of a lot better to improve your style of play with some titles and money behind you.

We'll have to agree to disagree. If we win trophies playing negative football it wouldn't ruin it for me but it would taint it. If we're not playing good football we're all just supporting a brand.

irishmover wrote: »
    Chelsea fans didn't mind winning the champions league playing dreadful football.

Exactly. I always thought we had more class than Chelsea.

Exactly. I always thought we had more class than Chelsea.

And a smaller trophy cabinet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Aidy Bootroyd.

irishmover wrote: »
    And a smaller trophy cabinet.

So what? Cabinets are boring. Good football makes me happy.

Anyway most of the best managers play decent football. It's not like ugly is more effective overall. Just the easy way out sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Charliebull

So what? Cabinets are boring. Good football makes me happy.

Anyway most of the best managers play decent football. It's not like ugly is more effective overall. Just the easy way out sometimes.

So you want us to be like Swansea , win nothing but play good football

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭DildoFaggins

ROFL.

• Advertisement

Yep, or Barca.

Successful teams more often play positive football than negative.

What's your point?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

does it really matter who replaces Sherwood
    the real problem area is further up the food chain
    In the end I suppose I'd be happy enough with Benitez
    Nothings really goona change though is it - glorious Europa year after year

does it really matter who replaces Sherwood
    the real problem area is further up the food chain
    In the end I suppose I'd be happy enough with Benitez
    Nothings really goona change though is it - glorious Europa year after year

Most people think it does matter who replaces Sherwood.

Your Levy trolling thread is this way: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056018657

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

trolling?

discussing the chairman's role pre and post mgr selection is vaild

I wonder if he'll get this one right, would be nice for a change

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Charliebull

Yep, or Barca.

Successful teams more often play positive football than negative.

What's your point?

My point was i would much rather be successful, yes to be like barcelona and win trophies would be brilliant

i have followed sligo rovers all my life, we used to play pretty football and win shag all, we changed manager and now dont play as good football but we win leagues and cups, i know which i would prefer for spurs

and yes i agree, i dont think getting rid of levy is the answer, he is actually a very good chairman

trolling?

discussing the chairman's role pre and post mgr selection is vaild

I wonder if he'll get this one right, would be nice for a change

The thread is about who we want as next manager. You're trying to make it about Levy. It's not. Give it up.

My point was i would much rather be successful, yes to be like barcelona and win trophies would be brilliant

i have followed sligo rovers all my life, we used to play pretty football and win shag all, we changed manager and now dont play as good football but we win leagues and cups, i know which i would prefer for spurs

and yes i agree, i dont think getting rid of levy is the answer, he is actually a very good chairman

Yeah there are some unsuccessful teams who play nice football and there are some successful teams who don't. But mainly the best teams play attacking football.

We don't need to choose between good football and success. Success is if anything more likely playing good football than not.

latest im hearing is that its Pochettino and its a done deal. Levy sees him getting the best out of young english players thus increasing any potential sell on value, he's also the same nationality as our most expensive signing ever which may help Lemalas development. Cant see how Southampton not being better than an average side has not been considered... wouldn't be against the idea personally, but would rather De Boer, who even seems to be willing to take the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Not a peep from Pochettino, I'd also say he's quids in. De Boer has been whóring himself out to anyone that will listen. Still, I'd find it strange to have a manager that doesn't speak fluent English. Southampton have been impressive, if we could replicate that style of football, then I'd be happy with his appointment.

• Advertisement

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Southampton have been impressive, if we could replicate that style of football, then I'd be happy with his appointment.

not sure about their quality to be honest... british media have been hyping them all season because of the young, and not so young, contingent in the side... they finished mid table, only slightly higher than Newcastle. Not saying that they havent improved, but we have been finishing top 6 for years now and the logical next step is to break the top four consistently and Im not sure Pochettino is the answer to that... but if appointed I'll be on his side as at least he's not the travesty that is Time Sherwood.

Advertisement