Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

who do we want...

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

not sure about their quality to be honest... british media have been hyping them all season because of the young, and not so young, contingent in the side... they finished mid table, only slightly higher than Newcastle. Not saying that they havent improved, but we have been finishing top 6 for years now and the logical next step is to break the top four consistently and Im not sure Pochettino is the answer to that... but if appointed I'll be on his side as at least he's not the travesty that is Time Sherwood.

Put that aside, they play football the correct way. They pass the ball well and attack at speed. They really should of beaten us twice. It's a gamble if they appoint him, works both ways though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

latest im hearing is that its Pochettino and its a done deal. Levy sees him getting the best out of young english players thus increasing any potential sell on value, he's also the same nationality as our most expensive signing ever which may help Lemalas development. Cant see how Southampton not being better than an average side has not been considered... wouldn't be against the idea personally, but would rather De Boer, who even seems to be willing to take the job.

I'd be delighted with this.

Southampton play nice football and have been more successful than the sum of their parts. If Spurs could be the same we'd be back in the Champions League where we want to be.

He speaks English a lot better than he lets on, chats away to his English players, just hasn't been comfortable doing interviews in English yet in case he made a faux pas. I'd say he'll dispense with the interpreter soon.

not sure about their quality to be honest... british media have been hyping them all season because of the young, and not so young, contingent in the side... they finished mid table, only slightly higher than Newcastle. Not saying that they havent improved, but we have been finishing top 6 for years now and the logical next step is to break the top four consistently and Im not sure Pochettino is the answer to that... but if appointed I'll be on his side as at least he's not the travesty that is Time Sherwood.

It's a big achievement for Southampton to be in the Premiership, let alone the top half. Newcastle get gates of 50,000 plus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

to be honest i cant wait for the season to be over and that pains me to say. The excitement i get in early august before the season starts is just fantastic but this year i am a little disillusioned.

I really need this time to be different.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭golfball37

I would like someone with EPL experience, what last summer showed us in terms of signings was it was poor recruiting to sign 7 players who had no experience of the league. There are differnet tactics needed to beat the myriad of teams in the EPL, something AVB didn't understand despite his short stint at Chelsea.

Recent history has showed we are more succesful under British managers who know the league. Jol was the only exception to this rule. I'd take him back before FDB almost.

If we are going to take a punt on a foreign manager I'd like to see Pepe Mel's name in the hat. His Betis side qualified for the Champions league and beat Chelsea, drew at Anfield. He hasn't the players at West Brom to show what he can do.
    Another one I wouldn't be unhappy with is Magath. He has some serious record in football, Fulham were doomed long before he arrived. He would sort out the prima donnas in our dressing room too pretty sharpish. Winning titles in Germany with Wolfsburg, Bayern & Stuttgart is not to be sniffed at.
    Poccetino has done a good job and there are many positives to him also. I assume he can speak English and only uses the translator as a p1ss take?
    I think there's bad blood between Levy & Poyet from Juande's time here so that rules him out, I would be happy enough if he got it though also.
    Laudrup-Nice football, won a trophy. Loses dressing rooms though because of the arrogance that comes with being such a gifted player. Again I wouldn't be unhappy with him though.

Again I stress I want someone with EPL experience but thats just my opinion. I didn't want FDB or LVG.

British wise there aren't many candidates outside of Harry & Hoddle and they say you should never go back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭DildoFaggins

golfball37 wrote: »
    I would like someone with EPL experience, what last summer showed us in terms of signings was it was poor recruiting to sign 7 players who had no experience of the league. There are differnet tactics needed to beat the myriad of teams in the EPL, something AVB didn't understand despite his short stint at Chelsea.

Recent history has showed we are more succesful under British managers who know the league. Jol was the only exception to this rule. I'd take him back before FDB almost.

If we are going to take a punt on a foreign manager I'd like to see Pepe Mel's name in the hat. His Betis side qualified for the Champions league and beat Chelsea, drew at Anfield. He hasn't the players at West Brom to show what he can do.
    Another one I wouldn't be unhappy with is Magath. He has some serious record in football, Fulham were doomed long before he arrived. He would sort out the prima donnas in our dressing room too pretty sharpish. Winning titles in Germany with Wolfsburg, Bayern & Stuttgart is not to be sniffed at.
    Poccetino has done a good job and there are many positives to him also. I assume he can speak English and only uses the translator as a p1ss take?
    I think there's bad blood between Levy & Poyet from Juande's time here so that rules him out, I would be happy enough if he got it though also.
    Laudrup-Nice football, won a trophy. Loses dressing rooms though because of the arrogance that comes with being such a gifted player. Again I wouldn't be unhappy with him though.

Again I stress I want someone with EPL experience but thats just my opinion. I didn't want FDB or LVG.

British wise there aren't many candidates outside of Harry & Hoddle and they say you should never go back.

With Mel it's different nobody has given him a chance but it's a huge risk bringing someone in who has only been in the PL for 6 months.
    Betis and WBA aren't small clubs but they are hardly giants it's completely different going from small budgets and expectations to Spurs or bigger.

I think Magath is confirmed to stay with Fulham so no chance
    Can't see Laudrup coming in supposedly he'll lose a lot of bank if he takes a job,Swansea are pretty stupid for letting him go now they have a rubbish player in charge.

I'll take Poch but It'll probably be someone completely different whoever it is god help us if it's Moyesie.

Personally I don't think our signings failed because they were foreign or because they had no Premiership experience. I think they failed through a combination of bad luck, injuries and not being good enough. For instance Soldado just didn't settle, probably through a loss of confidence caused by being given no service by our awful inverted wingers and crowded midfield. If it was because he had no Premiership experience then why did Negredo take to it like a duck to water and why did Bony lash goals in all season.

Paulinho failed because he isn't good enough.

Lamela failed because he's young and got limited chances and then got injured.

Why would you say that a manager should have Premiership experience to get the job and then include Mel and Magath who have only been in England a few months and performed miserably?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭golfball37

They have dipped their toe in the water in EPL terms, they now have some experience. We can't afford another manager or player who is learning on the job.

Magath and Mel didn't have the tools to work with at their respective clubs. Magaths record is mind blowing in Germany. Wolfsburg were a club set up as the factory team for the local VW employers and he brought them a league title. He could certainly whip Spurs into a position where they would be top 4 contenders.

Negredo is suited to England but his honeymoon period ended in 2013, he has done nothing since xmas. Bony was the opposite, it took him until xmas to work out the EPL and now he has proved his worth.

Out of all our signings Erikson is the only one comparable to Bony- ie he worked it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭DildoFaggins

They have dipped their toe in the water in EPL terms, they now have some experience. We can't afford another manager or player who is learning on the job.

Magath and Mel didn't have the tools to work with at their respective clubs. Magaths record is mind blowing in Germany. Wolfsburg were a club set up as the factory team for the local VW employers and he brought them a league title. He could certainly whip Spurs into a position where they would be top 4 contenders.

Negredo is suited to England but his honeymoon period ended in 2013, he has done nothing since xmas. Bony was the opposite, it took him until xmas to work out the EPL and now he has proved his worth.

Out of all our signings Erikson is the only one comparable to Bony- ie he worked it out.

Magath had Dzeko and Grafite with him to be fair and that's when Bayern were struggling for a few years, he also had a lot of money to spend particularly in his 2nd spell which he got sacked,he also got the sack with a good Schalke team in between bear that in mind.

Ok. I see your point, I just don't agree that half a season of not impressing with a smaller club mean that they should be considered a better choice than anyone with no Premiership experience.

Negredo certainly tailed off but the fact that he hit the ground running means it wasn't lack of Premiership experience holding him back.

Bony scored about 10 goals before Christmas.

Eriksen arrived lacking in fitness and stamina and improved as the season progressed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

Eriksen: He's obviously good enough, doubt he'll still be here in two years unless we get a manger who gets us into the CL

Soldado: Has the skill, geiven the service in a system that suits him he will score goals. Had some serious personal issues in his private life that no doubt had to affect his state of mind. When he finaly got a goal after a baron spell, Dim droped him for the next game :confused:

Chadli: Has potential definitely and I think he could be very effective next season. Was starting to develop well around feb-march

Capoue: Started off well under AVB, got badly injured and then Dim start selecting his lovechild Bentaleb

Chiriches: Good squad-level Center half imho

Paulhino: I believe he is quality and its down to a personal dislike for how he has been treated that has him not giving a fcuk. If he leaves, which I hope he doesn't, his value will soar after he lifts the WC with Brazil

Lamala: Never given a chance if the truth be told, no one can really fairly say he's good or bad.

I honestly think that if we get a decent manager in we have the potential in the squad to challange for CL next season, BUT we need the manager to be given full support, which he aint going to get from levy

Advertisement