Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Payroll double wages!

Options
  • 28-04-2014 10:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭

The payroll dept where my husband works made a major mess up with his wages last week. He is paid monthly and for April's wages they put and paid his basic monthly salary TWICE onto his payslip! He has been hit with the higher rates of taxes. I understand the tax will right itself in the next payslip but essentially he has got paid his May wage already. His employer has said that they will correct it over the next few months by deducting for it on his wages. This will be an absolute pain in the .... as we will have to watch the pennies every month until it's sorted and our mortgage is due out just after his wages go in so we have to be very careful that there's enough in the account.

I got him to ask payroll could they not reverse his payslip, work out what he should have been paid and we repay the overpayment back to them straight away but they said they cannot do this.

Has anyone any other suggestions what can be done to fix this? I just feel so conscious about any spending for the next few months because of this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭blindsider

Move the extra month's salary into a savings account.

Each month, move the approximate % back into your current account.

[Salary = €2000 - to be repaid over 4 months. So, move the €2000 to a separate acct and transfer €500 p.m BACK to your current acct each month.]

I presume you have online banking and can do this quite easily.

I agree it's a pain, but there are relatively simple remedies.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Naux

Good suggestion above.

Also ,the employer has been reasonable in suggesting that the problem can be sorted out over a number of months. If you don't want that then ask them not to pay your husband any wages in May at all( he will still get a tax refund at the end of May) and then it will be all sorted in one month. You will be back to normality in June pay-packet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Thanks for your suggestions. His employer did suggest transferring the overpayment to another account like what you said Blindsider but I don't think my husband's online banking is that user friendly from what I can gather from him.

We could take the full hit in May and transfer my wages into the account to cover the mortgage. But it may leave us tight for June when we have a number of things on. It's just such a pain!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Naux

If you take the full hit in May why would you have to transfer your wages into the account to cover the mortgage? Your husband will(in theory) have been paid exactly the same amount of money as normal over the two months except that most of Mays wage(except the tax refund part which your employer should transfer as normal at the end of May) will have hit your account in April.

Just be disciplined in your spending and you will be fine.

The whole thing is a bit annoying alright but I'm pretty sure your husbands employer didn't overpay to cause you grief!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Oh I know it would work out the same but if two months wages are sitting in your bank account, it will be mighty hard not to spend a little bit more than you know you should! Might look into transferring it somewhere with him tonight.

We are fine with our spending, don't go overdrawn, credit card used sparingly and repaid in full. It's just we have to be extra conscious with our spending until it's sorted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement