Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Training while injured

Options
  • 28-04-2014 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭

Looking for some advice on altered training, as the eagle eyes may have noticed my training lately has been awful. I am going in for surgery on my knee on Friday and wont be allowed to swim until the wound has healed, wont be allowed to cycle for a few weeks, and wont be allowed even do much walking for 6 weeks. The season is getting closer and closer and I don't want o miss it all, I have already signed up for 5 races and hope to make at least 4 of those in July through to September and hopefully a fifth to round of NS.

Is there any alternative training people can recommend or think of to help me keep my fitness at all or other things I could concentrate on? Don't have a gym membership and to be honest cant afford one at the moment. Was hoping to head into OW training as soon as I am allowed back in the water.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭speedyj

I had an arthroscopy (about 10 years ago) and set myself back a bit by trying to swim too soon. The knee swelled anytime I tried within the first 3 weeks. My kick was (and is) awful so perhaps you'd have better luck. I remember having to wait almost 10 weeks before being able to run. I vaguely remember that cycling was the easiest to start back with, low HR stuff and easy gearing. Good news is that I've had no problems with it since.

My advice would be to do whatever you're told to do in terms of rehab religiously. If you need something to focus on, perhaps keep an eye on what you eat/drink to avoid putting on a load of weight.

Best of luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Thanks Speedy, that is something I've been trying to do and finding it a bit difficult, weening myself off the food has been difficult. Before Christmas I was training hard and eating a lot, had been aiming around 3500 calories a day but finding myself watching my diet more now that I am trying to eat less since I am doing less training, part of me keeps saying I'm still hungry but I know I don't need it now that I am not training hard. Need to still be able to fit in the wetsuit in a few weeks haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

If you are having surgery in May I wouldn't be getting too stressed about getting the NS done. Its more important to recover properly. There will always be more races to do whenever you are fully healed. I tried to come back from illness too soon last year and effectively wasted my whole year.

Advertisement