Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pls recommend pet behaviourist home visit

• 28-04-2014 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭

I recently adpoted a dog from the <snip> but think we need a bit of help with him. Certain aspects hes very good..will sleep in the crate at night etc. But by day he wont go out on walks...sits and refuses to budge and as a result of this hes getting restless in the house and garden and definitely not getting enough exercise. I have never owned a dog so definitely need some pointers. I've tried reading up on it but conflicting info everywhere makes me think someone doing a home visit would be best. Any recommendations? Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Do you have a car? You might bring him for drives to get him used to the neighbourhood. Front garden? Leave the door open (and gate closed) while you're out gardening so he gets used to the feel and smell of the place. Poor pooch probably had some nasty experiences out on the street, or might have got lost on a walk?

For my pup's first couple of years her walks were all in the car then let out to romp in a huge park - for a different reason, she was too racy-aroundy for street walks. Worked well, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭loup

Thanks..I have no access to car during the day..i was hoping to be able to walk the dog! He's a 4 month old lurcher so lots of energy to burn off but wont go further than a few feet. Meant to say my front garden isnt safe as he'd be able to jump the front walls..back garden is fine but hes munching all the plants and doesnt want to play at all (have tried throwing toys etc).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭nala2012

If he's only 4 months he's probably not used to the lead. Does he wear a collar?

loup wrote: »
    Thanks..I have no access to car during the day..i was hoping to be able to walk the dog! He's a 4 month old lurcher so lots of energy to burn off but wont go further than a few feet. Meant to say my front garden isnt safe as he'd be able to jump the front walls..back garden is fine but hes munching all the plants and doesnt want to play at all (have tried throwing toys etc).

So he's a baby. Hmm, do any of your neighbours have dogs he might hero-worship, and which they'd like taken for a walk… then he might follow them happily?

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭nemo32

I found both of these girls great. They will both come to the house if it's in there location.

http://citizencanineireland.com/

http://www.problempaws.ie/

• Advertisement

nala2012 wrote: »
    If he's only 4 months he's probably not used to the lead. Does he wear a collar?

Yes wears a collar and has no issues at all with it. He will happily walk out of the house but then goes only so far and wont go any further. Im at a loss and not being a previous owner dont know what to do. Cant get through to anyone in <snip> for advice either.:confused:

nemo32 wrote: »
    I found both of these girls great. They will both come to the house if it's in there location.

Thank you! Will try these now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Does he like food? Could you entice him to walk down the road using little cubes of chicken or cheese and lots of praise for making progress?

It's a good idea getting a behaviourist out to assess what he needs. Poor little fella, he's only young, and if all he knew was the inside of a shelter then a road with cars and noise is going to be a big deal for him. Most shelters try and expose pups to every kind of normal everyday things like household noises, cars etc but sometimes it's all still new and scary to a young dog. A behaviourist will help find his motivation and give you a plan on how to work on his confidence outside the house.

PS, another vote for Emmaline in Citizen Canine, she's fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

As far as I know the <snip> should be carrying out a home visit anyway....regardless if you want one or not. Get in contact with the person who looks after adoptions (Gillian if I remember correctly) and talk to her about it and if they do not give you someone to talk to tell them you have no choice but to bring the dog back (they will answer your questions then! :))

If the dog isn't working out you could always take it back but I know that's the last thing you want to do. Just be patient with the dog and hopefully she comes around soon!

Well done for getting a dog from the <snip>...especially as your first dog! :)

Ashbx wrote: »
    As far as I know the <snip> should be carrying out a home visit anyway....regardless if you want one or not. Get in contact with the person who looks after adoptions (Gillian if I remember correctly) and talk to her about it and if they do not give you someone to talk to tell them you have no choice but to bring the dog back (they will answer your questions then! :))

If the dog isn't working out you could always take it back but I know that's the last thing you want to do. Just be patient with the dog and hopefully she comes around soon!

Well done for getting a dog from the <snip>...especially as your first dog! :)

<snip> did do a home visit before we got the dog but it was literally to check if the garden was fenced in and if we had an outside kennel. I dont think they do home visits otherwise but I could be wrong! This pup was hand reared by one of the <snip> vets in her house in Kildare along with other dogs and cats and wasnt in the rehoming area for long. However I know they will still have issues with traffic, buggies etc. The odd thing was he was fine for a couple of walks and then decided he was having none of it. I've been giving him his food in a kong for the past couple of days as that tires him out a good bit.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Folks, can I remind you that discussing named rescues is not allowed, as per the forum charter.
    Do no reply to this post on thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

With mod hat off, op it is fairly common for pups to do what yours is doing.
    A common reason is that they develop a fear of passing traffic, particularly if not exposed to it much before, and/or if they were reared in a quiet or rural setting. They can easily become quite overwhelmed by it all after a few days.
    Another reason may have been a once-off incident that went unnoticed by you but that frightened the bejayzus out of the pup, a speeding motorbike, a backfiring engine, a lorry's airbrakes, an unexpected jogger, a kid on a skateboard... I'm sure you get the idea!
    Another reason is that their little paws and soft bones and joints find walking on hard footpaths a bit uncomfortable after a few minutes.
    A maintaining factor can be if the pup gets lots of sympathy or attention when they put the brakes on.
    The behaviourist (and I'd also strongle recommend Emmaline) will bring you through ways of slowly and happily helping your pup to overcome the problem, once she has identified the probable cause.

loup wrote: »
    <snip> did do a home visit before we got the dog but it was literally to check if the garden was fenced in and if we had an outside kennel. I dont think they do home visits otherwise but I could be wrong! This pup was hand reared by one of the <snip> vets in her house in Kildare along with other dogs and cats and wasnt in the rehoming area for long. However I know they will still have issues with traffic, buggies etc. The odd thing was he was fine for a couple of walks and then decided he was having none of it. I've been giving him his food in a kong for the past couple of days as that tires him out a good bit.

Very odd! You would love to be able to read the little dogs mind sometimes! My dog is extremely nervous so I do understand your frustration. Yes, im a big fan of kongs too!

One thing you could try is a dog backpack. Its fantastic for burning the dogs energy but also, it gives the dog a job to do on the walk. So your lurcher will be so busy carrying his backpack that he will be distracted from the cars and everything else that normally scares him. I was recommended one years ago and its been the best suggestion ever! My dog has completely changed and if she ever goes back to that state on walks again...out comes the backpack! When you first get a backpack though, put it on him/her empty, then slowly start to add weight so 1. you get the dog used to it and 2. don't injure it.

Best of luck with your little doggy! I hope he perks up a bit in time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Ashbx wrote: »
    Very odd! You would love to be able to read the little dogs mind sometimes! My dog is extremely nervous so I do understand your frustration. Yes, im a big fan of kongs too!

One thing you could try is a dog backpack. Its fantastic for burning the dogs energy but also, it gives the dog a job to do on the walk. So your lurcher will be so busy carrying his backpack that he will be distracted from the cars and everything else that normally scares him. I was recommended one years ago and its been the best suggestion ever! My dog has completely changed and if she ever goes back to that state on walks again...out comes the backpack! When you first get a backpack though, put it on him/her empty, then slowly start to add weight so 1. you get the dog used to it and 2. don't injure it.

Best of luck with your little doggy! I hope he perks up a bit in time!

A backpack wouldn't be suitable for a 4 month old growing pup, it would put extra pressure on growing joints and could have serious repercussions down the line.

OP, I'm sure the rescue told you but a pup actually needs very little "walking" - as opposed to exercise in a garden where the pup can actually sit down and rest mid play if they're tired. 5 minutes per month of life so only 20 mins for your little fella at the moment, increasing every month. :)

A backpack wouldn't be suitable for a 4 month old growing pup, it would put extra pressure on growing joints and could have serious repercussions down the line.

OP, I'm sure the rescue told you but a pup actually needs very little "walking" - as opposed to exercise in a garden where the pup can actually sit down and rest mid play if they're tired. 5 minutes per month of life so only 20 mins for your little fella at the moment, increasing every month. :)

That's why I said the backpack should be empty first of all and then slowly adding weight! I was recommended my backpack from 6 months and my dog is 3 now and have had no issues.

OP, maybe check with the Vet before putting it in a heavy backpack but an empty one is perfectly fine and it still gives the same effect.

Just a thought - you do have the broad kind of collar on the pup?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=lurcher+collars&tag=googiehydra-21&index=aps&hvadid=31162567555&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11346727819939387925&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_2h36whycza_b

Narrow ones are horrible for lurchers/greyhounds to wear.

Another small thought; have you tried using a harness rather than a collar for the lead for walks? A dog that doesn't like collar-and-lead will sometimes love the feel of a harness and feel snuggly and secure in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭qvsr46ofgc792k

nemo32 wrote: »

What a name...brilliant!

Thanks so much some great suggestions there! I didn't know about the 20mins thing so thanks for this, we weren't advised of this by the rescue place (apologies for previous mention of name). I will definitely try harness and also wider collar. The backpack idea looks really interesting too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭anamaria

Emmeline from Citizen Canine came out to me when I got my crazy terrier. She's excellent :-) she stayed for a good few hours and was able to see us in our home environment and going about daily routines

Advertisement