Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

jcb 2cx airmaster

Options
  • 28-04-2014 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭

Hi guys , I've came across a few of these for sale up north selling for around £6k, would I be right thinking this is cheap and would there be something wrong with it.

Also what are these machines like for farm work, look tidy enough

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭MFdaveIreland

bump

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

never drove one myself, but bought a mealbin off a lad once who used his to load it. Looked veru handy, forward reach poor enough and lift probably just enough to load a Keenan. I wouldnt be putfing a six foot shear grab on one and be spinning around with it up high. If your yard was tight and had lowish buildings, then should be a quality tool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

I drove one , it was a grand yoke but the wheels are a bit small for doing any road travelling . But its perfect for around sheds . Yer man I know has a 4 1/2 ft sheargrab on it and doesn't have a bother .
    Is it 6k sterling ? I wouldn't think its too cheap depending on age and conditions I suppose it could be about right .

moy83 wrote: »
    I drove one , it was a grand yoke but the wheels are a bit small for doing any road travelling . But its perfect for around sheds . Yer man I know has a 4 1/2 ft sheargrab on it and doesn't have a bother .
    Is it 6k sterling ? I wouldn't think its too cheap depending on age and conditions I suppose it could be about right .

True enough , I wasn't looking so to speak but thought it was cheap, but saying that it seems to be the rate on most of them , worth noting it had no back actor just a compressor
    I'm not too sure of the point of a compressor

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Only drove one around a dealer's yard, really liked it and would have one only it wouldn't fill the feeder. Good access and very nimble, better option than a skidsteer I think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

Neighbour has one, I borrow a couple of times a year to clean out a low shed.

Have to say a very impressive little machine. He has a 5' time grab on it. Loads feeder and loads and carries about 800 bales a year.

Compressor really handy he even uses it to unblock pipes.

I have one on my wish list, would prob go for one with back hoe

True enough , I wasn't looking so to speak but thought it was cheap, but saying that it seems to be the rate on most of them , worth noting it had no back actor just a compressor
    I'm not too sure of the point of a compressor

Id say they might have more industrial type work in mind for them with the compresser for jack hammers and stuff like that . But it would come in handy on the farm aswell for pumping tyres or opening nuts if you had the air ratchet

25041850.jpeg

Not sure if link has worked.

I have seen a few people mention size of wheels, and looking at the pic they don't look much different to those on the likes of a matrbo tr200 etc, could be wrong. any views, I assume these yokes would be useless in a field with a silage bale hanging of the front

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Zr105

25041850.jpeg

Not sure if link has worked.

I have seen a few people mention size of wheels, and looking at the pic they don't look much different to those on the likes of a matrbo tr200 etc, could be wrong. any views, I assume these yokes would be useless in a field with a silage bale hanging of the front

I think there on a 20inch rim, so would be same as a tr 200 i think. The tires on that one in your link look fairly decent width wise, a lot of them seem to only have little narrow industrials,
    biggest problem if you happen to be looking at one that had the narrow wheels and you wanted to go wider is you'd probably have to but rims aswell

Zr105 wrote: »
    I think there on a 20inch rim, so would be same as a tr 200 i think. The tires on that one in your link look fairly decent width wise, a lot of them seem to only have little narrow industrials,
    biggest problem if you happen to be looking at one that had the narrow wheels and you wanted to go wider is you'd probably have to but rims aswell

Would you reckon that type of tyre in photo would suit farming moreso and field work etc

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭corkoian

We bought one in July. 10k for a 2003 airmaster with bucket. Just a few points id have.

PROS
    -Great for operating in tight corners with the all wheel steer
    -Compressor comes in handy

CONS
    - Wheel base is kinda narrow so can be very ease to turn one over
    - The four wheel steer has started to cause the back of the loader to not run parallel to the rest of the machine
    - Some times i think we would be better off with a telescopic for the extra few feat of reach.
    - Wont recommend a grab bigger than 4 foot.
    - Doesnt operate well in fields

If you are buying it, make sure you get the quick hitch fitted coming. It saves a lot of hassle!

Would you reckon that type of tyre in photo would suit farming moreso and field work etc

Yes, the wider wheel would probably suit a bit better, but will probably wear a bit quicker than narrow industrials, which would have little grip and probably cut straight down into the ground the minute it hit anything soft at all

corkoian wrote: »
    We bought one in July. 10k for a 2003 airmaster with bucket. Just a few points id have.

PROS

CONS
    - The four wheel steer has started to cause the back of the loader to not run parallel to the rest of the machine
    - Some times i think we would be better off with a telescopic for the extra few feat of reach.

If you are buying it, make sure you get the quick hitch fitted coming. It saves a lot of hassle!

I think there's suppose to be a valve in them somewhere that you open to straighten out the steering, but I'm not exactly sure of the procedure or its location to be honest. Think it may be in engine bay and it's probably a case of go to full lock, open valve then steer wheel a bit more to bring both axles to full lock then shut valve again or something

corkoian wrote: »

PROS

CONS

Yes, I was going to mention telehandlers , but trying to figure out plus points etc, seen a few of these lately

Hard to know

I couldnt tell you anything about telehandlers. My knowledge is only in the airmaster

Zr105 wrote: »
    I think there's suppose to be a valve in them somewhere that you open to straighten out the steering, but I'm not exactly sure of the procedure or its location to be honest. Think it may be in engine bay and it's probably a case of go to full lock, open valve then steer wheel a bit more to bring both axles to full lock then shut valve again or something

I cant remember is there a switch to knock off the crab steer . There was one my teleporter and you could line up the wheels by just knocking off the crab steer and doing the same as you said .

There is a switch in the cab but it still slowly moves to the side. I'll contact jcb to see if i can find anything about that valve!
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭oldsmokey

Theyre a great little machine with a few limitations...not much poke, unstable with the load up high, hopeless in a wettish field, no diff lock for 4wd, .
    But if your yards are tight, money is tight, and you want something 20 times better than a skiddy they're great!Fast hydraulics, easy to jump on/off - we took the door off ours, compressor is useful, big cab, reliable, jcb stuff is reasonable, great vision...good tool

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Odelay

oldsmokey wrote: »
    Theyre a great little machine with a few limitations...not much poke, unstable with the load up high, hopeless in a wettish field, no diff lock for 4wd, .
    But if your yards are tight, money is tight, and you want something 20 times better than a skiddy they're great!Fast hydraulics, easy to jump on/off - we took the door off ours, compressor is useful, big cab, reliable, jcb stuff is reasonable, great vision...good tool

I seen one used by a tarmac crew doing repairs, machine was 8 years old at the time. The abuse it got removing a tipped load of hardened left over tarmac was unreal, I assumed it was due to be traded in soon going by how hard the operator was throwing it at the rock hard tarmac.
    Turns out that that is how they use it, machine is still going strong, now 13 years old. amazed every time I see it working.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭TheClubMan

I'm looking at buying a 2CX with a backhoe which is the streetmaster model but they are hard to come by. There is only one for sale at the moment that I can see and it's a bit pricey for the year.

Does anyone know if it is possible to fit a JCB backhoe to the Airmaster model or would it be too expensive?

• Advertisement
Advertisement