Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

training in castlebar

Options
  • 28-04-2014 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭

Hi all, I'm in castlebar on placement for a couple of weeks - does anyone train around here and could recommend some running routes?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

I dont know about running but cycling you can head out over the windy gap to Laherdane, into Pontoon and back will give you about 60k, go further to Crossmolina, Ballina and back will give you 120k +

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

A run to the booster station would be a good workout, check out the harlequin duathlon for the route

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭toomuchdetail

Hi all, I'm in castlebar on placement for a couple of weeks - does anyone train around here and could recommend some running routes?

If your looking for swim training our club in Westport has a 6:30am session twice weekly and if your TI regsitered you could tag along for a small class charge, loads of running around Westport too with the Greenway going to Achill and sessions Tuesday and Thursday eve's. Cycling is generally with the local club but you would possibly need to be Cycling ireland registered . Look up Westport triclub FB page , we have some impromtu sessions on there including some open water swims over the next few weeks. There are also the park runs in Westport and Castlebar on Saturday mornings.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Fitzilicious

The lake where the Castlebar park run is held has a nice running loop with some good hills if you want to do hill reps etc.
    It's very close to the hospital and has a good surface for running.

The ring road around the town while boring is a good route also to get the miles in.

There is also a running tack behind the hospital, it's not in great condition but the surface is fine and it's handy for intervals etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭littlemsfickle

Sorry for dragging this back up again, just wanted to say thanks to all who posted. I didn't have a car so couldn't drive outside castlebar (actually I don't have a licence either so prob not a bad thing!) or my bike so it was just local run routes I was looking for. I made good use of that park and the ring road so thanks for the tips! If anyone trains in the Enfield area give me a shout!

• Advertisement
Advertisement