Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

readybrek?

Options
  • 28-04-2014 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

Hi all, my little man is 6 months old and i was thinking of introducing him to readybrek and weetabix. just wondering is this ok at 6 months, has any mothers out there done this at this age and how did baby take to it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Readybrek is great fantastic for breakfast. Weetabix was a disaster here she is prone to constipation but it totally clogs her up: I'd definitely stick to the readybrek personally anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Ya we use Ready Brek alot for our almost 7 month. Its very versatile because you can adjust the thickness quite easily and I sometimes add some stewed fruit.

Haven't used Weetabix for the same reason as the last poster, I was afraid it might be a bit heavy on the system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Strange, I thought weetabix got things moving rather than the opposite?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

My lad loves ready brek with a bit of fruit purée in it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Strange, I thought weetabix got things moving rather than the opposite?

Too much fibre can cause constipation too. So too little will leave them bunged up as well as too much!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Ready brek is great with some steamed (well microwaved) fruit in it. Blueberries, raspberries, strawberries etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭newtoboards

Sorry to jump in with another question but how much readybrek are you giving to your babies at 6 months?

cyning wrote: »
    Too much fibre can cause constipation too. So too little will leave them bunged up as well as too much!
    God that explains why my little fella didn't improve when I gave him weetabix. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

You should give a sippy cup of water with weetabix. I notice even my little lady who has no constipation problems gets a but bunged up if she doesn't drink water after eating it for breakfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭jackben

Thanks all, i havent Starter giving him the readybrek yet, but for the past 6 Weeks or He has been having milupa breakfasts, an He would have about 2 tablespoons of those so prob bout the same with the readybrek...
    I thought too that weetabix would help with constipation too an He suffers a Bit from that so i think ill keep the weetabix West for a while..
    Thanks all

• Advertisement

jackben wrote: »
    Thanks all, i havent Starter giving him the readybrek yet, but for the past 6 Weeks or He has been having milupa breakfasts, an He would have about 2 tablespoons of those so prob bout the same with the readybrek...
    I thought too that weetabix would help with constipation too an He suffers a Bit from that so i think ill keep the weetabix West for a while..
    Thanks all
    Milupa breakfasts have rice in them, that's constipating too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Porridge is better. Those milupa foods are full of sugar and not suitable for babies. I don't know why so many people give them.

? A lot of the baby cereals have no added sugar, I have a box of Milupa oat and apple here and there's no added sugar. Weetabix contains sugar, as do most adult cereals! Ready brek has no added suger - he's getting the milupa this morning cos I ran out of ready brek! I think Heinz are bad offenders for putting sugar in their baby foods, but I've given him Milupa, Aptimil and Cow and Gate breakfast cereals and none of them had added sugar in them.

I wouldn't feed.my children processed food like milupa. I don't eat cereals like that myself, I eat porridge and so do my children. Milupa and othe such highly processed foods are not good for children. Sunshine orange has sugar in it. They might dress it up as no added sugar but preservatives and things like fructose are sugars.

Ready Brek is fine, my 3 year old has it every morning.

List of ingredients:

http://www.weetabix.co.uk/brands/readybrek/original

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Ready brek as compared with standard porridge is fortified with minerals and vitamins. The iron content particularly is around double as I remember. In this case im happy to use something a little more processed.

Ready brek as compared with standard porridge is fortified with minerals and vitamins. The iron content particularly is around double as I remember. In this case im happy to use something a little more processed.

lazygal wrote: »
    I wouldn't feed.my children processed food like milupa. I don't eat cereals like that myself, I eat porridge and so do my children. Milupa and othe such highly processed foods are not good for children. Sunshine orange has sugar in it. They might dress it up as no added sugar but preservatives and things like fructose are sugars.

All that's in the milupa cereal I have here is follow on milk, oats, wheat, rye, maize, barley, millet and apple. No fructose, sucrose or any other ...ose, no preservative, nothing. And as Kandr says, there's extra iron and 100% RDA of vitamin D. I think its a bit sensationalist to say it's bad for children Obviously some cereals aren't great sugar wise, but a quick glance of the label will tell you.

nikpmup wrote: »
    All that's in the milupa cereal I have here is follow on milk, oats, wheat, rye, maize, barley, millet and apple. No fructose, sucrose or any other ...ose, no preservative, nothing. And as Kandr says, there's extra iron and 100% RDA of vitamin D. I think its a bit sensationalist to say it's bad for children Obviously some cereals aren't great sugar wise, but a quick glance of the label will tell you.

A balanced diet should provide all nutrients. Why wouldn't you just give an apple rather than apple flavour cereals? Also "follow on milk" is designed to be sweeter than normal milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lolademmers

Can I just ask about porridge? As in flavahans oats? Is that suitable for a 6 month old? I eat it and thought it wasn't so I have him the baby porridge instead Would be very handy (and cheaper) if he ate regular porridge too.

• Advertisement

I gave regular porridge from six months.

Yes a balanced diet should provide all nutrients but we don't generally get adequate vitamin D in Ireland. I'm happy to give fortified Ready Brek.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Pretty much from 9mths up to now (21 mths) I've given my guy the same breakfast. He never turns it down and it gets fruit into him (he's not a major fan)

1/2 a Weetabix (aldi version)
    Few spoons of ready brek (aldi version)
    enough milk for right consistency
    1/2 a banana mashed up
    some other fruit mashed in - kiwi, pear, mango, berries, plum, whatever's ripe really.

A balanced diet should provide all nutrients. Why wouldn't you just give an apple rather than apple flavour cereals? Also "follow on milk" is designed to be sweeter than normal milk.

What baby being weaned is on enough food to get a fully balanced diet? Since these nutrients (such as minerals and vitamins) in breast milk start to deplete at 6 months, I see no reason not to give something that boosts them. Assuming of course that there's no added sugar. I don't think many people would be under the illusion that the apple flavouring counts as one of five a day either. I personally would choose the plain flavours and add fresh fruit cos that's what I do for my own breakfast but I see no harm in it as long as it's not too much added sugar. You have to read the labels.

Ingredients stated apple, not apple flavour, and he gets fresh pureed pear, mango or banana in it too. There's no sugar in the follow on milk either as far as I can see. You'd swear I was feeding him a McDonalds milkshake - he got milupa and fresh mango today cos I ran out of ready brek. He also got, for the record, homemade organic beef, carrot and butternut squash, organic yogurt and organic apple puree, and sugar free organic cookies mashed up with his milk. Tomorrow he's getting organic avocado mashed up with organic chicken. The thigh meat, cos there's more iron in it than breast meat. I think I'm doing okay balanced diet wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lolademmers

nikpmup wrote: »
    Ingredients stated apple, not apple flavour, and he gets fresh pureed pear, mango or banana in it too. There's no sugar in the follow on milk either as far as I can see. You'd swear I was feeding him a McDonalds milkshake - he got milupa and fresh mango today cos I ran out of ready brek. He also got, for the record, homemade organic beef, carrot and butternut squash, organic yogurt and organic apple puree, and sugar free organic cookies mashed up with his milk. Tomorrow he's getting organic avocado mashed up with organic chicken. The thigh meat, cos there's more iron in it than breast meat. I think I'm doing okay balanced diet wise.

Can my guy go to yours for dinner haha ;-)

There's conflicting evidence on whether and why iron depletes after six months. Some research shows it depletes naturally to allow babies get used to solid food. Either way, I'd feed my child real food, not processed and added nutrient stuff like Milupa or readybrek. Milk, breast or formula, is supposed to be the main form of nutrition until 12 months anyway, so why believe the hype about added vitamin d or whatever anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Milupa I wouldn't go for alright, but ready brek is porridge... Just the oats are milled finer to make it mix a bit smoother. It's a bit quicker to make in the mornings. 60 seconds in microwave, done.

I've eaten readybrek myself for years. Very handy for work where there is no canteen on site.

Can my guy go to yours for dinner haha ;-)

And me too ;-)

• Advertisement

There's conflicting evidence on whether and why iron depletes after six months. Some research shows it depletes naturally to allow babies get used to solid food. Either way, I'd feed my child real food, not processed and added nutrient stuff like Milupa or readybrek. Milk, breast or formula, is supposed to be the main form of nutrition until 12 months anyway, so why believe the hype about added vitamin d or whatever anyway?

Readybrek is just porridge oats ground up a bit. Milupa is powdered formula with added finely ground cereals, including oats. HSE guidelines state that babies - breast or bottle fed - should be given a vit D supplement from birth. The other fortified vitamins in cereals or whatever food are extra - they might not be beneficial, but they're certainly not harmful. And I don't know if you read the rest of my previous post - my child gets real food, and plenty of it. Beef, chicken, fish, all manner of fruit and veg, yogurt, cheese, lentils, chickpeas, avocado, spinach, most of it organic, most of it homemade. Sometimes he gets a bit of milupa, or sometimes he *GASP* gets a jar or an Ella's pouch; I've even been known to give him a rusk - don't tell the Baby Police though. Overall, he gets a healthy, balanced diet. A bowl of milupa now and then isn't gonna hurt anyone.

Advertisement