Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

to TO or not to TO

Options
  • 28-04-2014 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭

does the ifgc need more players or need more tournament organisers?
    what do you think would help/encourage people to get involved?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Voa

This is a weird question.

Long and short, more people is always better.
    TOs are a rare breed of idiot though :P

If there's some context to this query, you might get a better answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Nutrient

All I have to add to this vague thread is respect the TO

Help 'em out anyway you can when theres clearly loads to be done

Unpacking/packing stuff, reporting scores right after a match, informing T.O when you go to grab a bite during tourney.
    Even just grabbing them Lunch would be a tremendous help

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

Yep. When you're so focused on your games you may not realize how much the humble TO generally does on a given day :P

On the main topic though, I think the number of TOs will generally naturally grow with the number of players you have. Everywhere needs to start with one TO, but once the number of players exceeds a certain amount, more staff/organizers will be needed. In the bigger Cork tournies I always tried to make a random player at each station the organizer for that group, who was responsible for collecting results and then pass them to me.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I think it's important for there to be at least 2 people in any scene willing to work at tournaments, I've seen loads of people blow out from it. Especially if you try to run weekly or monthly tournaments. You need a break or it becomes a pain in the arse instead of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Hey, somebody has to step up and do it.

Especially when there haven't been any tournaments in your scene in... oh I dunno 2 years... ;)

• Advertisement

Especially when there haven't been any tournaments in your scene in... oh I dunno 2 years... ;)
    Yeah, uh, Cork lads. Get your heads out of your asses. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭jimmypenguin

there will be a nerd alert taking place in limerick next month. i hope some of the cork players can attend, and the idea is to do one in cork in june/july.

there will be a nerd alert taking place in limerick next month. i hope some of the cork players can attend, and the idea is to do one in cork in june/july.

Jimmy staking out the West Coast territory. Vince McMahon will not be happy

i used to wrestle for vince.. i know the craic..

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Chris IWS

Sairus wrote: »
    Yeah, uh, Cork lads. Get your heads out of your asses. :pac:
    I'm at the stage now where I'll settle for travelling to the city for some casuals, or hosting myself if people are willing to make the trip.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=90169804#post90169804

• Advertisement

Chris IWS wrote: »
    I'm at the stage now where I'll settle for travelling to the city for some casuals, or hosting myself if people are willing to make the trip.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=90169804#post90169804

Maybe if you ask Jimmy nicely he'll run a tournament there.

Maybe if you ask extra nicely I'll come down and record it too :)

im up for running a tourney in cork..
    in fact i plan on running an invasion event there at some stage..
    most important thing is finding the right venue...

most important thing is finding the right venue...
    Yup, don't have any contacts in the city anymore. I miss it so much!

The Mardyke was pretty good the few times I made it there, though.

i have hook ups down there from music events etc ive been involved with in the past.. so ill see if i can sort something..
    not paying for a venue is important..

not paying for a venue is important..
    I seem to remember more money always going towards the venue than to the players whenever I attended, which was always unfortunate. Nothing against the organizers, of course. No real way to get around that unless you "know a guy" or are hosting yourself.
    Maybe if you ask extra nicely I'll come down and record it too
    Appreciated. At some point, I'll just send you some SD cards with a bunch of games on them. Eircom 384k upload speeds are not conducive to archiving match videos. :pac:

its a scene killer.. money going to the venue instead of the players..

i never liked the sound of you guys paying for the venue. ill see if i can source anywhere more accommodating.

i never liked the sound of you guys paying for the venue. ill see if i can source anywhere more accommodating.
    To be fair, when shokashi was running out of the Mardyke, food was included, which I'm sure was appreciated by players.

yeah, but if i wanted to come from galway to attend it would have cost 25/30 euro return on bus, and tenner entry fee.. and in return i get finger food and winner of the event doesnt even get a decent prize payout..

free food is good.. paying the venue and them supplying 5 euro worth of chips and sausages, isnt worth it.

if it wasnt for the deal we had with our venue our scene would never have gotten of the ground..

yeah, but if i wanted to come from galway to attend it would have cost 25/30 euro return on bus, and tenner entry fee.. and in return i get finger food and winner of the event doesnt even get a decent prize payout..

free food is good.. paying the venue and them supplying 5 euro worth of chips and sausages, isnt worth it.
    Pretty much how I felt. Managed a second place and I think the prize barely covered entry. Scene was pretty anaemic at that stage though.

• Advertisement

Yep. I aaaalmost had another venue secured that would have been basically free, but the guy never got back to me and started ignoring my calls :(

If you have a lead on somewhere cheap/free do it please! :D

Sairus wrote: »
    If you have a lead on somewhere cheap/free do it please! :D

i have every intention of trying to source an accommodating venue in both limerick and cork... i know its possible.

i have every intention of trying to source an accommodating venue in both limerick and cork... i know its possible.

It's ok to pay if they're giving you xboxes, though :)

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

You could try the place we used to run the Glacial League back in the day, if they're still open. 4 TVs, 4 couches, 4 xboxs. It's just a video rental place so there's no food or drink or anything. It's been years so I dunno what the story is but if you're stuck I can look into it for you (name/location/contact details wise).

would be interested to find out more about that place

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

This is the place. Guy who ran it at the time was super sound, if it's still him see if he remembers us :P haha

cheers dude

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭OdgeXD

I'll keep on motoring up here in Donegal

47053b3393e8903445d1db94dc81f8aef4e580b7_m.gif

But yeah, it's too expensive to travel for me most of the time and since I literally know no one else around here that plays any fighting games trying to organise something would be pointless.

i thought there were no other players in galway either till i stuck sticks on peoples laps and now theres a growing scene.. hope you find some players to spar with soon bro.

• Advertisement
Advertisement