Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IS A TAX-REFUND A REAL THING IN IRELAND??

Options
  • 28-04-2014 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all,

Just a quick question on tax back, I would appreciate ANY response and info!

I worked the whole of 2013 in dublin, was paying tax. moved to Australia in Jan 2014 and my english friends travelling with me mentioned that if you paid tax and are either unemployed or abroad you can get a Tax Refund. I filled out my p50 form sent it away and got a cheque for 135 euro for all of 2013. my friends how ever got £800. I rang the revenue, and they said this was what I was OVERCHARGED on tax for 2013. But this is not what I was apply for, I was under the impression that I could get some of the 21%-41% tax back I paid and never benefited from as I went abroad for the year. I completely understand the uk is different but I thought they MUST be something like this in ireland?? is there not at all? or have I filled out the wrong form? not repaided for over charged tax but a refund for tax when not in the country??

Like I said ANY help will be great, this is my first forum and would love some info!

Thank you so much in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭vandriver

No you don't get a refund on last years tax when you emigrate in a new tax year.Your English friends however would have emigrated during their current tax year,so would have unused tax free allowance .(English tax year runs April to April)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jadest

vandriver wrote: »
    No you don't get a refund on last years tax when you emigrate in a new tax year.Your English friends however would have emigrated during their current tax year,so would have unused tax free allowance .(English tax year runs April to April)

Thank you so much for this reply, so great to have a clear and decisive answer. Just so I know completely and I can resign totally and down my sorrows in ice cream... There is no way to apply to get it back? It's gone forever?

Thanks again, it's much appreciated!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,366 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

jadest wrote: »
    Thank you so much for this reply, so great to have a clear and decisive answer. Just so I know completely and I can resign totally and down my sorrows in ice cream... There is no way to apply to get it back? It's gone forever?

Thanks again, it's much appreciated!

:D Yes

If you had worked for a part of a year rather than the full year you may have gotten more back as you would still have unused credits but since you worked the whole year all of your credits were most likely used.*

Impossible to say for sure without reviewing your P60.

Advertisement