Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone from NYC

• 28-04-2014 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

If I buy an iPhone in the Apple store in New York is it easy to get it unlocked over here?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,906 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

If I buy an iPhone in the Apple store in New York is it easy to get it unlocked over here?

They are unlocked when you buy them. Beware that your warranty isn't applicable in Europe and your iPhone probably won't be able to use 4G in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Rael

Aodhagan wrote: »
    They are unlocked when you buy them. Beware that your warranty isn't applicable in Europe and your iPhone probably won't be able to use 4G in Ireland.

An iPhone bought from Apple will be unlocked. I got mine over there over a year ago and had no problems, being an iPhone 5 I can't use 4G over here but I have no problems on 3G.

The one year worldwide warranty would still apply, however Apple would probably require you to send it back to the States if there was a problem.

Just as an aside, I thought they standardised the frequencies for 4G so the 5C & 5S will work anywhere for 4G?

Rael wrote: »
    An iPhone bought from Apple will be unlocked. I got mine over there over a year ago and had no problems, being an iPhone 5 I can't use 4G over here but I have no problems on 3G.

The one year worldwide warranty would still apply, however Apple would probably require you to send it back to the States if there was a problem.

Just as an aside, I thought they standardised the frequencies for 4G so the 5C & 5S will work anywhere for 4G?

Thanks for repeating everything I said :P & no, the different models don't all have the same bands for 4G. The USA model (A1533) has different ones to the (A1457) sold here. Same goes for the 5c.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Rael wrote: »

How can you think it's a worldwide warranty if it has to go back to the states?

guil wrote: »
    How can you think it's a worldwide warranty if it has to go back to the states?

Also to add to that, you can't just "send it back to the states". You need to present it in the states. They don't accept it being sent directly to them.

You could save yourself €100-200 buying in US depending on sales tax but I would be much more comfortable paying the premium at home with no risks involved. Plus there is always the risk of custom duties bringing it back to Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 IsMiseAvril

Thank you for the reply guys. My iPhone 5c was stolen just a couple of weeks after I bought it. I didn't take out insurance as I've always been super careful with iPhones and I was hoping to treating myself to a new one at a decent price on my hols!

Thank you for the reply guys. My iPhone 5c was stolen just a couple of weeks after I bought it. I didn't take out insurance as I've always been super careful with iPhones and I was hoping to treating myself to a new one at a decent price on my hols!

Ouch that's horrible news. Well I guess my suggestion would be to do what feels best based on the above! Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 20 IsMiseAvril

Aodhagan wrote: »
    Ouch that's horrible news. Well I guess my suggestion would be to do what feels best based on the above! Good luck

Yes, will do! Very helpful points. Thanks.

Advertisement