Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Manual Lawn Aerator

• 28-04-2014 3:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭

Hi

Anyone know where I can find a manual lawn aerator like this one locally? I tried Woodies and they don't stock these.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭jrby

i got one last year, it was either the garden centre ont he nass dual carraige way, near nass or the one on the was out to celbridge...

didnt find it much good though as it kept clogging up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

jrby wrote: »
    i got one last year, it was either the garden centre ont he nass dual carraige way, near nass or the one on the was out to celbridge...

didnt find it much good though as it kept clogging up.

Looking at the link you gave I see a pair of "sandals" with spikes on them claiming to aerate the garden by walking on it! I'm intrigued :-D does it work?

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭jrby

i got the thing above that...and it really doesnt work, it just compresses the soil....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭positron

Reviews are good for the sandals too. However, I am worried that it would be more or less like compressing the soil further with each spike pushing the soil to all sides. I was hoping for something that would actually take out some soil where new compost + sand mix can gently fill in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

They do work. But you have to do it at the right time. Preferably a couple of days after it rains. In other words, the soil cant be too dry and hard or too wet. Too dry and you will kill yourself trying to push it into the ground. Too wet and the soil will not travel up the hollow tine correctly and what does will just compress with each push into the ground. You'll end up having to stop and poke the soil out with a stick.
    But if you judge the soil right they are great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭positron

My "soil" I suspect is just a lot of organic matter accumulated over the years over a wafer thin layer soil which builders spread to hide building rubble. Full of stones and what not. It's always wet and soggy at the back, so I am almost certain it will clog.

I will give it a go anyway, if I can find one. Will update!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭LurkerNo1

positron wrote: »
    My "soil" I suspect is just a lot of organic matter accumulated over the years over a wafer thin layer soil which builders spread to hide building rubble.

You'll be wasting your time and money better in the long run to hire a rotovator or dig it over if it's small and start from scratch. You can't polish a turd in other words.

positron wrote: »

I will give it a go anyway, if I can find one. Will update!

maybe this one? http://www.thegardenshop.ie/aerator.html if you cant find anywhere to buy it your self.

Advertisement