Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Closing Statement for account...

Options
  • 28-04-2014 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭

Wow. you guys sure know how to annoy someone.

I had an account with Ennis Co. Clare BOI Branch for many years.  I closed it around January and moved all my banking to PTSB.   I could no longer justify the 'fees' you impose on customers for using day to day services!

I had been signed up for e-statements.  That is absolutely fine by me, I don't need paper statements most of the time.

however, when my account closed i lost access to e-statements.  The closing balance being one of those statements !
    A paper copy was never sent to me.

I now need a copy of Nov/Dec 2013 statements for a loan application.  

I called your helpline who told me:
    • I could not talk to the branch directly on the phone anymore
    • I can't order copy statements on the helpline
    • I had to visit the branch in order to get my printed statement 
    [*]

I therefore had to take time off work and drive the 50 mile round trip today to Ennis branch.

I waited in line for about 20 minutes before i was noticed
    when someone finally approached me i explained what I needed (a simple statement) and i was directed to a phone booth where I should call the helpline as the branch cannot help with my need.
    I (politely) explained that I had already called the helpline and they told me to come to the branch!!!

Nevertheless, I called the 'helpline' and explained AGAIN my requirement for a simple statement.  I was told I had to talk to the branch directly!

I explained that i was IN THE BRANCH and they told me to CALL THE HELPLINE !

The helpline guy then asked to speak to a member of bank staff.  The phone line was extremely bad and I could barely hear what he was saying.

I finally found another member of staff. The original one had vanished. She spoke to the helpline person and gave a number of some kind.  The helpline person said he would send a copy statement to the branch.

so i was told to come back to the branch to get the copy statement in 5-7 working days !

At that point i became extremely annoyed.  I simply don't have time to play these games with you people.  I can't take another 2 hours off work and drive another 50 miles to pick up a simple piece of paper...   
    the bank clerk took pity on my predicament and agreed to post out the statement to me when it arrived.

I can't imagine why you can't simply post it to me in the first place directly.

This is absolutely absurd as i hope you can comprehend.  

You deleted my access to e-statements when the account closed.  How am I supposed to get my closing statement ???

Not amused.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Sarah

Hi sibergoth,

Thank you for contacting us here on Boards.

We understand your frustration in this matter and are sorry to hear you are unhappy with the procedure to receive this closing statement. 

If you hold no other accounts with Bank of Ireland, it is necessary and the normal procedure to call into the branch in person so that a representative can verify your identity with a photo I.D. This would be the reason why the representative on the phone directed you to call into your branch. 

We do advise in our FAQ's here that if you wish to close your account and you are signed up to eStatements, it would be necessary to switch back to paper statements before closing, or to download your latest statement. 

Once you close your account, you will no longer have online account access through Bank of Ireland 365 Online. 

As you have already closed your account, and requested your closing statement, it will arrive within 5-7 working days. 

We will be sure to pass on your experience to the appropriate areas so that customers who are closing their account are made more aware of these conditions regarding eStatements. 

Thank you for taking the time to contact us here and if you need help with any other query please do not hesitate to contact us. 

Thanks,
    Sarah

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭sibergoth

I anticipated the need for photo ID and brought that with me to the branch, however no one checked that or asked me for any evidence of who i was other than a copy of an old statement.

I am not in the habit of reading your entire FAQ in my spare time.
    however, I would think it reasonable that I should still have some kind of access to my statements online even after an account is closed.

I still don't have a closing statement from my account.  

I need someone to call me ASAP with a reason and a remedy on how I can get the closing statement from my account.  This is not good enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Billy

Hi sibergoth, 

Thanks for posting.

Can you please send a PM with your name and contact details and we will follow this up with the account holding branch. 

Thanks

Billy

Bank of Ireland: Billy has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her.

!

• Advertisement

sibergoth wrote: »
    Bank of Ireland: Billy has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her.

!
    Hi sibergoth,

Can you please enure that you have 'signatures are displayed' checked in your Control Panel Settings. Once this is done, please click the PM Link in my signature. 

Thanks

Billy

Hi sibergoth, 

Thanks for the PM. 

We'll update the staff member in the branch, who you mentioned is already looking into your request. 

Thanks

Billy

The problem is that she doesn't have any authority to organise the statement.  It seems no one does.

if it was as simple as contacting the staff member in the branch then I would have had the statement a long time ago.

I need this to be looked at by management, you have a major flaw in the process for getting a statement for an account that has been closed.  I believe you are legally obliged to provide this data, so you should have a better process in place for arranging it.

Making me drive up and down the country and then argue on phone calls repeatedly is hardly an adequate process.

I need my statement sent urgently. 

Advertisement