Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WIN a Pebble Smartwatch and get set for Darkness Into Light!

Options
  • 28-04-2014 3:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi everyone,

Darkness Into Light, a fantastic fundraising event for Pieta House which we're proud to support, is less than two weeks away! It’s a nationwide 5km run/walk (or whatever you fancy!), which commences at 4.15am on Saturday 10th May and takes the participants, literally, from the darkness of the early morning to the light of day.

The number of entries so far is making #DIL2014 the most successful event yet, and to mark the occasion, we are giving away a Pebble Smartwatch - perfect for keeping connected on the go.

PebblewatchwithDILtime_zpse40335d4.png

To enter, just answer this: Are you a night-owl or are you an early-to-bed person? Could you stay up for a 4.15am walk/run or would you need to set every alarm possible? Let us know below (with accompanying anecdotes if you like). :)

This competition closes next Tuesday, 6th May, and the winner will be chosen randomly as per our T&C's.

Best of luck!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Absolutely a night owl. I could stay up until 4.30 no problem. Not sure I'd run all that fast if I did but I'd at least be awake. Good thing the DiL isn't a serious competitive run, I much prefer the idea of a casual community spirited event for that hour of the morning.

Have been working early mornings (7.30ish) the last month or two and even though I'm present and accounted for at that hour, I'm not really functional until about 9 anyway. I always work better in the evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 robyn4

I'm definitely a night-owl. Unless I am late and need to catch a bus, I tend to go jogging in the evening! Once I fall asleep it's tough to wake me up! 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭surpy

i can stay up late...

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Definitely a night owl! I could be tired all day, but when it comes to time to head to bed, I'm usually wide awake and unable to sleep, and then can't get up in the morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Entonces

total nightowl...so absolutely wrecked by this time of day zzzzzz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭wyrn

I'm a bit of both. Total night owl, completely wired at night, however I do love to have an early night and read until the early hours of the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Night owl - generally leaving the office late at night anyway so I stay up late to enjoy a bit of "me" time at night :)

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Mr. Muddle

The early bird catches the worm.....

..to put in my tequila

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Yep, night owl, give me free stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Late to bed, early to rise. Children enforce this arrangement quite strictly!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Trev De rev

Bit of both really. Work shift work so my body clock all over the place. Hate sleeping during the day. Plus my daughter Lucia is a early riser so no sleep in mornings

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭jim_bob

Am a night owl but forced to be an early bird

• Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

I'm an early bird. I love watching the rising sun in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Definitely a night owl, although sometimes the brain doesn't function well at night. I did the North Co Dublin DiL last year. I didn't bring a jacket and decided to leave my hoodie in the car as it was drizzling out and i reckoned it would be better to have something dry to put on after the walk. 

I can safely say that even if you are wearing a bright yellow Electric Ireland Darkness into Light T-Shirt, it doesn't make a drizzly, cold and tired walk any easier that early in the morning. I got home at about 8am the next morning and was never so happy to see my bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Night Owl, hate getting out of bed in the morning, procrastinate endlessly when I need to go to bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭niallb

Early bird these days!
    Looking forward to this and to the Tara Dawn run in June.
    What else would you be doin' at that hour?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Fair play to the people performing that early run! Starts at a time I used to go to bed at!

As you can tell I'm definitely a night owl, nearly always stay up till the early hours. Unfortunately as I've had to start getting up at around 6AM for work its not really working out as well as it used too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭biomed32

I think in life, an alarm clock is always necessary, particularly if you need to be awake, either for a holiday, event, job interview, life changing event or simply a job. 

Although a night owl, I personally will need an alarm clock to get me out of bed but its more of an indication to get going rather then to wake me from a deep slumber. For me it's the anticipation of an event that will keep me awake, the excitement that will keep me awake. It's similar to the childhood memories of waiting for Santa at Christmas and going on your summer holidays. 

2011 was my first Darkness into Light after fundraising for Pieta House as part of the Maynooth Students for Charity: The Galway Cycle. It is an incredible and powerful event and deals with an issue that has touched not only my own life but the lives of so many others. 

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

There's a 4.15am!  

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Nah, I wouldn't stay up but would get up at that hour no problem with just the one alarm, or maybe two :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭green123

night-owl 

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Early bird when working, night owl at the weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭wexdevil

Night owl for sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

Night own, I should be cheaper to run for sure. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Was always a night owl, until children entered the equation. Now all I want to do is sleep, so it's early-to-bed, for me. I'm an awful riser too so I use a phone app for my alarm that make me go downstairs and scan a barcode.

Will definately grab a few hours kip before the Walk-into-light, will be volunteering at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,957 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I operate better by night, but alas I need to get up early for work. All-in-all it's a disaster for me... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭HuntingDrog

Hi everyone,

Darkness Into Light, a fantastic fundraising event for Pieta House which we're proud to support, is less than two weeks away! It’s a nationwide 5km run/walk (or whatever you fancy!), which commences at 4.15am on Saturday 10th May and takes the participants, literally, from the darkness of the early morning to the light of day.

The number of entries so far is making #DIL2014 the most successful event yet, and to mark the occasion, we are giving away a Pebble Smartwatch - perfect for keeping connected on the go.

PebblewatchwithDILtime_zpse40335d4.png

To enter, just answer this: Are you a night-owl or are you an early-to-bed person? Could you stay up for a 4.15am walk/run or would you need to set every alarm possible? Let us know below (with accompanying anecdotes if you like). :)

This competition closes next Monday, 5th May, and the winner will be chosen randomly as per our T&C's.

Best of luck! 
    I've no choice in the matter really - the Kids decide these things for me these days!
    However, I always was an early-to-bed person and an early riser. Can't beat sunshine and peace at 5am on a good Summers morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭lotsofthegreen

Early Bird ( due to starting work 4am!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

I am an early bird. Happy to get up for an early morning run, love running to work and seeing the sun come up. Think 4.15 am is early even for me though :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭touts

My alarm goes off at 5am every morning anyway. This would be just a little earlier :-)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement