Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent allowance limits need to rise.

Options
  • 28-04-2014 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

I know there is a more suitable place for this thread, but I think it would be better highlighted here, on a daily basis family's are being forced to move from stable environments into homelessness, homes were they have probably lived for years, they are having to move into emergency accomadation, hotels or hostels that might be miles from their children's schools and friends, rent caps need to be put in place, but for some people it will be to little to late, possibly affecting future social development and education.

I have heard that these hotels and emergency places are costing more to sustain than just paying for the extra to keep family's in stable homes, sometimes near double, tax payers money, and the government need to act now, things are getting out of hand, even private renters are being put out on the street due to rents rising to such unfair levels, this is yet another problem created by our government, and they are burying their heads in the sand.

Please can someone think of the children, thanks for reading.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Was that 'please, can someone think of the children' meant to be a Simpson reference, or are you being sincere?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I know there is a more suitable place for this thread, but I think it would be better highlighted here, on a daily basis family's are being forced to move from stable environments into homelessness, homes were they have probably lived for years, they are having to move into emergency accomadation, hotels or hostels that might be miles from their children's schools and friends, rent caps need to be put in place, but for some people it will be to little to late, possibly affecting future social development and education.

I have heard that these hotels and emergency places are costing more to sustain than just paying for the extra to keep family's in stable homes, sometimes near double, tax payers money, and the government need to act now, things are getting out of hand, even private renters are being put out on the street due to rents rising to such unfair levels, this is yet another problem created by our government, and they are burying their heads in the sand.

do you have figures please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

When there is a more suitable place, use the forum. Don't post in After Hours for the larger audience (against the charter).

Moved from After Hours, the Accommodation and Property charter now applies.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Been rent allowence is due to be cut again fairly soon your wasting your time op ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

One of the biggest reason for a shortage of housing, is the type of housing planning permits in Ireland. You go to Germany and privately built housing in towns of 10-20 thousand people, are up to 20 storeys high. High density housing is encouraged to prevent urban sprawl. Housing even on the outskirts of the suburbs are still 5/6 storeys high. The apartments are big and more like houses with no gardens.

Yet anything more than a few storeys in Dublin is "damaging to the historical skyline". Dublin doesnt have a skyline and the streets are so narrow you can barely see whats the building in front of you. Certain lobby groups have made planning authorities believe anything more than 5 storeys will have Dublin looking like Hong Kong or Singapore.

There is a massive shortage of land in Dublin city. Unless we allow high rise within the city, there will be no where to build housing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

I think raising the rent allowance would only add fuel to the fire that is the shortfall of available rental housing.

Relying on private landlords to shore a failing social housing scheme went on for too long and now it's rearing it's ugly head because those on rent allowance can't compete in the rental market against those who are pulling in a salary.

More social housing needs to be built because if rent allowance goes up two things could happen:

1) those on rent allowance still can't find anywhere because private landlords still won't accept rent allowance
    2) rents go to an even higher level due to the increased limit and now workers are locked out of the market due to the price.

I foresee that in the next 12 months there is going to be an epidemic but by that point it will be too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Or they could do what normal private tenants do when they cannot afford rent - move to somewhere cheaper.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

The whole rent supplement system is moving to local authorities under new legislation.
    It will mean the Council will find you a rental property in the private sector and you will be removed from the housing list. Basically the State transferring funds to private investors instead of building social housing.
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/limerick-pilot-to-allow-rent-allowance-recipients-return-to-work-263076.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭visual

Zamboni wrote: »
    Or they could do what normal private tenants do when they cannot afford rent - move to somewhere cheaper.

Or bring in rent control

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭fash

snubbleste wrote: »
    Basically the State transferring funds to private investors instead of building social housing.

Which they do because it is the cheapest way for the state to secure accommodation. Look up the build and maintenance costs for social housing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

Some reasonable points there OP, but tacking this onto the end makes it ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Eldarion

This is gonna get me slammed but I read this as:

Please can someone think of the people who make life choices that they can't sustain or support and expect the tax payer to bail them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

visual wrote: »
    Or bring in rent control

Rent control won't work. What happens to the person who can afford to pay more per month, but because all the stock is currently locked in at below the real market rate, can't find anywhere to live.
    Due to the lack of supply in the market, he'll either go homeless or rent outside of dublin. Yet he could afford to pay more.
    Surely this isn't fair. He's being prevented from spending his money on what he feels fit to spend it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

im already paying a ton of tax and a LOt of rent..dont need higher rent allowances pushing rental prices up higher...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

visual wrote: »
    Or bring in rent control

There is rent control. The PRTB can reduce a rent if it is above market rates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

There is rent control. The PRTB can reduce a rent if it is above market rates.

The problem is market rates

The problem is market rates

That is a different thing. Trying to block the market is unconstitutional. The only way to reduce rent is to increase supply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Eldarion wrote: »
    This is gonna get me slammed but I read this as:

Please can someone think of the people who make life choices that they can't sustain or support and expect the tax payer to bail them out.

I'll be getting slammed with you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

That is a different thing. Trying to block the market is unconstitutional. The only way to reduce rent is to increase supply.

Not really. Market rates have an artificial floor because of rent allowance

Not really. Market rates have an artificial floor because of rent allowance

It isn't an artificial floor. The market is influenced by the presence of rent allowance. Take it away and see what happens to the market. Increase supply and see what happens.In any event the rent allowance limits are reduced in line with general market falls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Caliden wrote: »
    now it's rearing it's ugly head because those on rent allowance can't compete in the rental market against those who are pulling in a salary.

I'm trying to understand why it is a bad thing that someone who is working can have more available income/higher standard of living than someone who is not.

It isn't an artificial floor. The market is influenced by the presence of rent allowance. Take it away and see what happens to the market. Increase supply and see what happens.In any event the rent allowance limits are reduced in line with general market falls.

And if rents don't fall after abolishing rent allowence ,how do you then deal with 90,000 potential homeless people

Gatling wrote: »
    And if rents don't fall after abolishing rent allowence ,how do you then deal with 90,000 potential homeless people

So there are 90,000 people willing to pay market rents for the 90,000 who will become homeless when rent allowance is abolished. Where are they housed now?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Raising rent allowance will only inflame the rental market and make it even more expensive for those not in receipt of it. Rent allowance is not any kind of long term sollution, only social housing is. Look at Tallaght - there's hundreds of unfinished appartments just lying empty. Finish them and turn them over to the local authorities.

So there are 90,000 people willing to pay market rents for the 90,000 who will become homeless when rent allowance is abolished. Where are they housed now?

So 90,000 new tenants and 90,000 homeless sensible approach to some

So 90,000 new tenants and 90,000 homeless sensible approach to some

Where are the 90,000 new tenants housed now?

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Eldarion

That's not really what he said. He simply said reduce demand and see what happens to the market, or increase supply and see what happens to the market.

I'm sorry if I don't share the sentiment that rent allowance should be increased to cover the rent of a 2 bed apartment in the center of Dublin or a 3 bed semi in one of the SCD suburbs.

Why is it that those who are renting privately have to make a decision on location/quality/room sizes based off what they can afford to spend on rent each month but those in receipt of rent allowance should not?

There's plenty of well earning professionals who have also been priced out of the most desirable areas and accommodations, where's the wailing for their children?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Where are the 90,000 new tenants housed now?

At home with their parents? Every year you will get thousands of new rental tenants from the next generation. However these are normally balanced by the people buying houses. Those people haven't been buying houses for the last few years though.

At home with their parents? Every year you will get thousands of new rental tenants from the next generation. However these are normally balanced by the people buying houses. Those people haven't been buying houses for the last few years though.

Are they going to come running out the door of their parents house and rent flats at current rates? They would get the flats now ahead of rent allowance tenants so how would the de housing of rent allowance tenants make any difference to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

I'm confused. Is the proposed argument here to remove rent allowance and let them pay from their dole alone?

Advertisement