Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent allowance limits need to rise.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

I'm trying to understand why it is a bad thing that someone who is working can have more available income/higher standard of living than someone who is not.

I guess the point I was trying to make there was that the problem is two fold in that rent allowance forces the rent up which affects both workers and non-workers.
    In Dublin at least, the supply for workers is already at a low level and they're competing against those on rent allowance (where RA is accepted).

The cause for the low supply could be (I don't have figures) due to those on RA renting private accommodation as opposed to them having social housing.

I completely agree with your point that those working should have a better selection available to them than there is now and I'm actually in fear of next November when my lease is up for renewal as my girlfriend and I are paying roughly €200 less per month than similar properties around us for a 2 bed apartment in D15.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭scoobydoobie

Hi, ive yet to catch up, but just to clear up my last sentence, yes it was very sincere, the children are our future, in saying that i was also trying to lightheartadly pre-empt some of the smart comments i had expected in after hours, sorry if it has come accross in poor taste.

i dont have much in the way of figures, only news story's i will ad a link to.

http://www.dublinpeople.com/article.php?id=3527

And another link from last year.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/homeless-family-of-12-may-spend-summer-in-hotel-29327935.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Hi, ive yet to catch up, but just to clear up my last sentence, yes it was very sincere, the children are our future, in saying that i was also trying to lightheartadly pre-empt some of the smart comments i had expected in after hours, sorry if it has come accross in poor taste.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/homeless-family-of-12-may-spend-summer-in-hotel-29327935.html

What good would increasing rent allowance limits do? It would drive rents higher as workers outbid the recipients of rent allowance. There would still be homeless people and more money wasted on rent allowance. The solution is to provide more accommodation and let the market find its own level. There are empty office buildings and shops in Dublin city centre which could be easily adapted as student residences. It would take the pressure off the rental market if that was done. The same is true of other areas of shortage. There are numerous buildings lying idle while people sleep in the streets and cry about rent allowance.

Do you not agree that the responsibility for adequate housing is with the Government?
    Increasing rent allowance is a band aid and shouldn't be viewed as a solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Magicmatilda

I completely agree tht this is a problem that needs to be addressed. Many people in this country with young families have found themselves in receipt of rent allowance owing to job loss. Some of these people may have already lost homes due to repossesions. They are now being housed in hotel rooms, which is ridiculous. These young children are the future of our country and they should be thought of, not only because they deservce better but because children raised under such stress do not turn into happy well adjusted adults (generally speaking).

However I am not sure that an increase in rent allownace is the issue. Personally I think that there should be more social housing built into any new development and that this social housing should be in a mixed development with non social housing. This idea that someone who is richer is a better person is a very sad symtom of today's society. AFAIK there was legislation that developers had to do this but they were able to instead give land to the council, which really defeats the purpose. To put all the people of a lower socio economic class into one place and keep those of a higher socio economic class is another does not work.

It is a massive problem and with the local elections looming it is one I think we should all be raising.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

Raising rent allowance won't help. The main problem facing RA recipients is getting a LL to accept it.
    There are 1,,683 properties to rent in Dublin. 18 accept RA but some of these are well above the RA ceiling. The number of properties under 1k p.m is 10. TEN!
    Many of these are looked after by the same auctioneer. It says on the adverts for his apts- "Email only". I'd hate to be waiting on that email.
    Now if you happened to be lucky enough to get a viewing you would be fortunate indeed to get it at asking price without others pushing up market rates by offering an extra x amount p.m.
    Rent allowance isn't the answer. The provision of social housing is where tenants can work - RA is a deterrent from work as it is clawed back euro for euro. Also a tenant can treat the house as 'their own'- doing decorating etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

zef wrote: »
    There are 1,,683 properties to rent in Dublin. 18 accept RA but some of these are well above the RA ceiling. The number of properties under 1k p.m is 10. TEN!

where are you getting your figures?
    daft just literally showed me
    Found 303 properties. Displaying properties 11 - 20 below
    Searching for properties to let for less than €1,000 per month in Co. Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Only 10 accepting rent allowance I'm assuming. For many good reasons.

The figure they are quoting is for EVERY rental property in Dublin with no max rent.
    With only 18 of that 1683 accepting RA.
    With a max rent of 1000, there are 303 and of that 303 they are saying only 10 accept RA.

Jesus wept at those figures.... 18 months ago when I was looking for a place there were 18,000 places for rent in Dublin.

You need to tick the box that says "accepts Rent Allowance"

Also if you are single - there are no properties under 650e that accept RA.
    Yes bedsits of old were sometimes horrible - but they were better than homelessness.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Pocoyo

Zamboni wrote: »
    Or they could do what normal private tenants do when they cannot afford rent - move to somewhere cheaper.

All the thanks for such a foolish spiteful uninformed comment.

Rent allowance rates are affecting every county where are they going to move?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Pocoyo wrote: »

Somewhere where rents are lower

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭scoobydoobie

That and also as far as I know you can't move from one La and stay on the housing list.

drumswan wrote: »
    Somewhere where rents are lower

Where how many properties are accepting RA inside the bracket? have a look at rent.ie and inform yourself your comment is foolish.

Where how many properties are accepting RA inside the bracket? have a look at rent.ie and inform yourself your comment is foolish.

Daft has 500+ properties accepting rent allowance in Ireland.

Rents may be cheaper 'in the country' and it is certainly a bit easier to get a landlord to accept rent allowance, but the problem one encounters then is social isolation. Also to live in the country in many areas you do need a car. Hard to run on 188p.w.

drumswan wrote: »
    Daft has 500+ properties accepting rent allowance in Ireland.

How many are inside the bracket?

500?? just another 92,500 to go. :D

zef wrote: »
    Rents may be cheaper 'in the country' and it is certainly a bit easier to get a landlord to accept rent allowance, but the problem one encounters then is social isolation. Also to live in the country in many areas you do need a car. Hard to run on 188p.w.

when you say country it means country most affordable RA properties are well outside the towns.

Well they are in meath kildare laois etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

the children are our future,
    Sorry, that statement is too broad to be true. Some of the children will be useful, some will be tolerable, some will be a pain in the hole and some will be an outright drain.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Jesus, I had now idea that rest supplement was so high. A single person in Dublin can get €520 a month, that's insane.

• Advertisement

Jesus, I had now idea that rest supplement was so high. A single person in Dublin can get €520 a month, that's insane.

Must be a huge discouragement to going back to work

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

Ads generally state "rent allowance not accepted" so does it really influence prices?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Ads generally state "rent allowance not accepted" so does it really influence prices?

It sets an artificial floor, below which the rent won't really fall.
    There was an argument that rent allowance led to higher rents and in theory it will. However when the demand of those who aren't on rent allowance outstrip the supply of available properties, rent allowance won't have any influence on the price

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

There was an argument that rent allowance led to higher rents and in theory it will. However when the demand of those who aren't on rent allowance outstrip the supply of available properties, rent allowance won't have any influence on the price

Makes sense...danke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Wish someone would pay 520 quid of my rent. Currently paying 475 in a Dublin suburb. I earn minimum wage (actually probably less when you factor in the hours I work) but I'd rather be out contributing to society than sitting in on a message board bitching about how the government won't keep me in the lap of luxury in a city center apartment while I draw the dole. But there ya go, that's just me.

Wish someone would pay 520 quid of my rent. Currently paying 475 in a Dublin suburb. I earn minimum wage (actually probably less when you factor in the hours I work) but I'd rather be out contributing to society than sitting in on a message board bitching about how the government won't keep me in the lap of luxury in a city center apartment while I draw the dole. But there ya go, that's just me.

More fool you. :D :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

More fool you. :D :rolleyes:

Apparently so judging by the sense of entitlement some people seem to have. (Not you btw.)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Really good post. A lot of people argue that Rent allowance has no effect, yet if you go outside of Dublin at the moment, minimum rents in other areas are always bang on rent allowance +10%.

I know a few people from my old work who do property management, I believe rates in Dublin are being raised without announcement after talking with two separate individuals recently. At this point with supply so low, I doubt it will have any effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Really good post. A lot of people argue that Rent allowance has no effect, yet if you go outside of Dublin at the moment, minimum rents in other areas are always bang on rent allowance +10%.

I know a few people from my old work who do property management, I believe rates in Dublin are being raised without announcement after talking with two separate individuals recently. At this point with supply so low, I doubt it will have any effect.
    I can assure you that it hasn't been raised secretly for Dublin. The system has set rates that you can't override. You either qualify or don't. Somebody is probably telling you porkies or cheating the system.

RA may possibly be an artificial floor in certain areas but it isn't in Dublin where the vast majority of rental exist and are required with it being the highest density of out population.

The government has relied on the private market to provide social housing for years. By cutting the RA as they did they literally cut out the desire to provide it privately and put in disincentives. People warned them this would happen and people claimed it kept rents artificially high. What actually has happened now. Rent continue to rise and less property is available for RA. Precisely what opponents of the cut warned. Yet here we have somebody still insisting it is an artificial floor.
    Reality hits you hard bro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Carriexx

If I cant afford to pay rent in a certain part of a city I look to another area. Why should this be any different for people on rent allowance.

Its unfortunate that rent allowance isnt accepted by alot of landlords but I personally was burned twice, and would not take rent allowance again.

Advertisement