Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent allowance limits need to rise.

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Pocoyo

Carriexx wrote: »
    If I cant afford to pay rent in a certain part of a city I look to another area. Why should this be any different for people on rent allowance.

Its unfortunate that rent allowance isnt accepted by alot of landlords but I personally was burned twice, and would not take rent allowance again.

I have a feeling if the limits were raised you wouldnt be saying that. :rolleyes:

I love these anti RA tenant comments ''oh they are dirty,smelly,robbing animals''
    I didnt hear much of this before the decrease.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

If I cant afford to pay rent in a certain part of a city I look to another area. Why should this be any different for people on rent allowance.

Its unfortunate that rent allowance isnt accepted by alot of landlords but I personally was burned twice, and would not take rent allowance again.

Here lies another problem if you start shifting families and so on out side the cities and further a field ,rents in other places then start to rocket then you get locals crying foul because there families can't afford increases due to bigger uptake of low rent properties ,
    Its a vicious circle that should have been delt with properly nearly 20+ years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Carriexx

Pocoyo wrote: »
    I have a feeling if the limits were raised you wouldnt be saying that. :rolleyes:

I love these anti RA tenant comments ''oh they are dirty,smelly,robbing animals''
    I didnt hear much of this before the decrease.

Raise the rents all they want.

Gatling wrote: »
    Here lies another problem if you start shifting families and so on out side the cities and further a field ,rents in other places then start to rocket then you get locals crying foul because there families can't afford increases due to bigger uptake of low rent properties ,
    Its a vicious circle that should have been delt with properly nearly 20+ years ago

This has already happened in most of leinster,Its a disgraceful we may ship these families of to the west coast but there are only 500 properties in the whole country accepting RA so it seems we will have to invest in trailer parks.

Raise the rents all they want.

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Magicmatilda

Jesus, I had now idea that rest supplement was so high. A single person in Dublin can get €520 a month, that's insane.

Currently 5 properties in Daft that you could rent for that - all of them studios. Not saying that prople on RA can't live in studios of course they can,any of us can, but this notion that if you are unemployed you can get a one bed apartment in Dublin City on RA is outdated.

Also if you are in shared accomadation the rate is €400.

Just to add some facts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Caliden wrote: »
    The figure they are quoting is for EVERY rental property in Dublin with no max rent.
    With only 18 of that 1683 accepting RA.
    With a max rent of 1000, there are 303 and of that 303 they are saying only 10 accept RA.

Jesus wept at those figures.... 18 months ago when I was looking for a place there were 18,000 places for rent in Dublin.

My guess is that this isn't demographics etc. but the law against bedsits killing that part of the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

The recession and plummeting of rents allowed people on Rent Allowance to rent properties in areas they historically wouldn't have been able to, the status quo has now returned and unfortunately they need to move to less desirable locales or further out from dublin. It's unfortunate, but nothing can be done about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Currently 5 properties in Daft that you could rent for that - all of them studios. Not saying that prople on RA can't live in studios of course they can,any of us can, but this notion that if you are unemployed you can get a one bed apartment in Dublin City on RA is outdated.

Also if you are in shared accomadation the rate is €400.

Just to add some facts.

A 4 bed house in Athlone can be got for that. $ tenants could live in it instead of 1. It would be much more economical to tell single renters to stay out of Dublin until they get a job and can pay their own rent. A grant (repayable) could be given to people giving up rent allowance and taking a job to cover their first rent and deposit.

A 4 bed house in Athlone can be got for that. $ tenants could live in it instead of 1. It would be much more economical to tell single renters to stay out of Dublin until they get a job and can pay their own rent. A grant (repayable) could be given to people giving up rent allowance and taking a job to cover their first rent and deposit.

But if that happens where would a needy athlone family live?

• Advertisement

drumswan wrote: »
    Somewhere where rents are lower

I'd be a big fan of the free market approach to kicking economic actors out of their house if they couldn't afford it, if that also applied to mortgage holders.

Since it doesn't, I don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

But if that happens where would a needy athlone family live?

In Athlone!

In Athlone!

Does athlone have an unlimited abundance of RA properties?

Scratch that only 3 properties are accepting RA you may send them further away still..

Inquitus wrote: »
    The recession and plummeting of rents allowed people on Rent Allowance to rent properties in areas they historically wouldn't have been able to, the status quo has now returned and unfortunately they need to move to less desirable locales or further out from dublin. It's unfortunate, but nothing can be done about it.

Actually thats not true ,

People were living in properties where rents were fairly high but were able to live comfortably thanks to rent allowence and the Ra's scheme ,
    I know one landlord who was making 1400 pm thanks to the Ras scheme despite all the other properties around it making 750 maximum for the last 4 years

Inquitus wrote: »

Really, nothing? I can think of lots.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Really, nothing? I can think of lots.

anyone on rent allowance will almost certainly be unemployed, unlike employed people they have no reason to 'need' to live in dublin and close parts of north kildare , wicklow and meath. I dont understand anyone complaining when they could go live in areas like athy, gorey , kilcock , bettystown and other areas with a lower demand for housing and cheaper rents, even if you need to come up to dublin once a month for a job interview then you can as some public transport is available.

anyone who thinks they are 'entitled' to live in dublin on rent allowance is mad.

anyone on rent allowance will almost certainly be unemployed, unlike employed people they have no reason to 'need' to live in dublin and close parts of north kildare , wicklow and meath. I dont understand anyone complaining when they could go live in areas like athy, gorey , kilcock , bettystown and other areas with a lower demand for housing and cheaper rents, even if you need to come up to dublin once a month for a job interview then you can as some public transport is available.

anyone who thinks they are 'entitled' to live in dublin on rent allowance is mad.

I dont know about the other areas but athy is a no go im afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

Don't see why people should have to move away from their area where their family and friends are just because they become unemployed :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Don't see why people should have to move away from their area where their family and friends are just because they become unemployed :confused:

They dont, they cant pay rent from their savings while looking for a new job...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

So the government should pay €3000 a month for people to stay in Donnybrook or Dalkey 'cos they grew up there? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

I don't see why they expect to be able to afford places just because they grew up there. If they were working and couldn't afford it what would you expect them to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

They don't need to move if they saved money while working.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭newbie13

Where can I start a discussion about the L.L who doesn`t accept the rent allowance even the rent band is cover with his asking rent price?

I can understand that he owns the house and he has right to let his property to anybody who likes, but still why doesnt landlord accept the rent allowance ??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

newbie13 wrote: »
    Where can I start a discussion about the L.L who doesn`t accept the rent allowance even the rent band is cover with his asking rent price?

I can understand that he owns the house and he has right to let his property to anybody who likes, but still why doesnt landlord accept the rent allowance ??

He may have had a bad experience. Just like landlords that wont let to students.

newbie13 wrote: »

Ever since the rent allowance rates were decreased letting agents and wealthy LL's started to discriminate against RA tenants and the negative illusion has made its way down to landlords that cant even afford their own property its a shame,but soon enough landlords with views like these will lose their properties people are turning against home owners taken the mick with their mortgages,once we get tougher on these kind of people rent will go down as they wont be able to afford to keep their properties empty while they seek tenants to pay their extortionately high rents.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Ever since the rent allowance rates were decreased letting agents and wealthy LL's started to discriminate against RA tenants and the negative illusion has made its way down to landlords that cant even afford their own property its a shame,but soon enough landlords with views like these will lose their properties people are turning against home owners taken the mick with their mortgages,once we get tougher on these kind of people rent will go down as they wont be able to afford to keep their properties empty while they seek tenants to pay their extortionately high rents.
    They aren't discriminating as that is a set legal term and being on RA does not qualify on any grounds.

It is pure an simple financial decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

I'd live to live in the city centre where most of my friends are, but hey I can't afford it.

That's life. You either pay to live in the area you want, or you take what the tax payer is able to fund. Everyone has a right to shelter. That right doesn't mean you can chose to live on Shrewsbury road, funded by taxpayer, because sure that's where you grew up and your friends are.

I'd live to live in the city centre where most of my friends are, but hey I can't afford it.

That's life. You either pay to live in the area you want, or you take what the tax payer is able to fund. Everyone has a right to shelter. That right doesn't mean you can chose to live on Shrewsbury road, funded by taxpayer, because sure that's where you grew up and your friends are.

So if say you lost your job tomorrow and applied for social welfare as you would be entitled to ,and they tell you sorry you can't apply in Dublin for any benefits including rent allowence ,until you move to the arse of cork or Kerry ,
    Would you just upsticks and go or would you be screaming discrimination and telling everyone how your been forced to live in a totally different part of the country on social welfares demand

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭jane82

I personally know of two respectable enough renting families who have had the rent raised so much they had to move. One of them has presented homeless the others lease is up in a week and will be doing the same.
    Houses in the places where rent allowance was expected are now saying no to rent allowance.
    I luckily got a years lease from a friend at a decent price but was a week away from taking the kids to declare homeless
    when I got lucky.
    Its a bad state out there at the moment.

• Advertisement

Here's another example of problems shifting people around the country ,
    I suffer 3 degenerative conditions I'm practically hospitalised for 2/3 weeks every years and have regular gp and physio visits ,
    All this with 2 kids one school going ,now we've looked into moving away from dublin ,Kildare ,Carlow as far as Kilkenny ,
    Proper research we found schools had massive waiting lists some up to 4+ year waits for admissions ,doctors surgerys over subscribed and very few willing to take new patients ,
    No car and can't afford one so then have to figure in costs to and from gp's and hospitals and commuting to schools ,
    So just when some people think ah sure you just leave your county you will be grand ,not everything is as simple as it sounds

Advertisement