Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent allowance limits need to rise.

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Eldarion

Pocoyo wrote: »
    Savings,savings? i was what the economy needed i used to buy my dog steaks twice a week ffs,I cant even buy myself one now,I shared my very limited wealth for the good of this country i didnt help the bank with their schemes and as i said i paid 180e tax most weeks and didnt complain about it...

If I hadn't seen your previous posts I'd be convinced this was satire or trolling.

This is some amazing mental acrobatics, I wonder if it's this train of thought that people use to justify their financial imprudence in the boom years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Pocoyo

Eldarion wrote: »
    If I hadn't seen your previous posts I'd be convinced this was satire or trolling.

This is some amazing mental acrobatics, I wonder if it's this train of thought that people use to justify their financial imprudence in the boom years.

Dont try to discredit me with your lies i find that offensive also mods dont like the T word maybe you should edit your unjustified post before its seen or reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Savings,savings? i was what the economy needed i used to buy my dog steaks twice a week ffs,I cant even buy myself one now
    well then, I guess that's the lesson. Then, like now, you should have been more frugal. Had you fed your dog more wisely, and saved the difference you would have been able to feed yourself steak once a week well into the recession. And who knows, you might even been able to afford a steak now.

Lesson learned. (I hope)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

ted1 wrote: »
    There's a difference between ex council houses and council areas which never experienced the boom and has a low employment rate.
    No there really isn't. There hasn't been many council houses built for a long time pretty much all council housing is ex council housing now. There is only one exception I can think of and that was completely refurbished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

i used to buy my dog steaks twice a week
    Seriously?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭jane82

No Pants wrote: »
    Seriously?

Dog steaks. Sounds rough but Id try it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

jane82 wrote: »
    Dog steaks. Sounds rough but Id try it.

In Korea its apparently served as "hot dogs"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭jane82

Gatling wrote: »
    I'm Korea its apparently served as "hot dogs"

Hello korea pleased to meet you.

Funny it wasn't like there were any warnings about saving for your future.:rolleyes:

The government literally gave people money to save. I would have put more in on them scheme if I could have. I certainly wasn't buying steak for my dogs. Still only have one car between us and it is economical one at that.

I spent money I had after saving and took no unsecured debits. Bloody hate people complaining about their own stupidity while blaming everybody else for their own actions.

Still hope to retire when young

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Funny it wasn't like there were any warnings about saving for your future.:rolleyes:

The government literally gave people money to save. I would have put more in on them scheme if I could have. I certainly wasn't buying steak for my dogs. Still only have one car between us and it is economical one at that.

I spent money I had after saving and took no unsecured debits. Bloody hate people complaining about their own stupidity while blaming everybody else for their own actions.

Very similar here. Maxed out the SSIA and wished it could have been more. Never borrowed money for anything other than property, which I still own. We have one car in the family as well and again, it's economical/practical.

If you blew €200 every weekend in Temple Bar then you have nobody to blame but yourself!

Also expect to be able to retire from my day job early (though I like my job and it keeps my mind active, so it's not a "must have").

• Advertisement

I have a pension and I've watched it go up and down like a yoyo. I plan to either work until six months before I die, or win the lottery. These plans are not mutually exclusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭twinytwo

zef wrote: »
    Raising rent allowance won't help. The main problem facing RA recipients is getting a LL to accept it.

Not accepting RA is a two pronged sword.

Either a) the landlord isnt paying his taxes and or cheating the system in some form or another

Or b) the recipient isn't actually entilteled to RA, in which case if discovered it becomes the responsibility of the landlord to refund all monies recieved. Which in some cases could be multiples of a years rent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Pocoyo

Hope to retire,you work?

You seem to be available to post anti tenant nonsense anytime you wish i dont think you have ever missed a property thread.

twinytwo wrote: »

Either a) the landlord isnt paying his taxes and or cheating the system in some form or another

Or b) the recipient isn't actually entilteled to RA, in which case if discovered it becomes the responsibility of the landlord to refund all monies recieved. Which in some cases could be multiples of a years rent.

Neither are true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

twinytwo wrote: »

Just to be clear, are you saying these are the only two reasons why a landlord wouldn't accept RA tenants?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Barely Hedged

Savings,savings? i was what the economy needed i used to buy my dog steaks twice a week ffs,I cant even buy myself one now,I shared my very limited wealth for the good of this country i didnt help the bank with their schemes and as i said i paid 180e tax most weeks and didnt complain about it,I want to be able to work are you blind or what did you read my post i can either look for work or eat,after i pay my bills im left with 25e to buy household items and food so please dont talk rubbish to me my current rent is 480e im not living in dublin or in a lap of luxury.
    Savings,savings? i was what the economy needed i used to buy my dog steaks twice a week ffs,I cant even buy myself one now

Im pretty sure this is a joke?
    I shared my very limited wealth for the good of this country

This is commendable and the fact that you are/want to re-enter employment
    i didnt help the bank with their schemes

What schemes?
    as i said i paid 180e tax most weeks and didnt complain about it

A siginifcant of people pay a lot more and taxation provides the basis for the society we live in to exist. Are we supposed to be grateful for you for doing what 96% of the labour force did in the years of full employment?
    I want to be able to work are you blind or what did you read my post i can either look for work or eat,after i pay my bills im left with 25e to buy household items and food so please dont talk rubbish to me my current rent is 480e im not living in dublin or in a lap of luxury.

I am not blind and i am not talking rubbish. The tone of your posts is self serving and entitlement. Unemployment benefit is and was not setup to support "luxury". Its a basic service.

Like people who work and also dont live in luxury, what they cant afford they dont get and they need to trim outgoings accordingly. You cant have your steak and eat it being unemployed

Hope to retire,you work?

You seem to be available to post anti tenant nonsense anytime you wish i dont think you have ever missed a property thread.
    I wouldn't say Ray is anti-tenant. He's a landlord, he's not secretive about that and, as expected, his perspective is different from that of a tenant.

Regarding his work, the money to buy property and maintain it doesn't normally grow on trees.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

No there really isn't. There hasn't been many council houses built for a long time pretty much all council housing is ex council housing now. There is only one exception I can think of and that was completely refurbished.

In the last few years nothing has gone up really. But before the crash there were more places being built than people realize, in Dublin at least. Ballymun obviously, but there were more houses and apartments built then there were original housing and flats. Plenty of council estates in Clondalkin with some more housing dropped into spaces within and around existing estates in Blanch. A fair few developments in Tallaght actually built their required social housing rather than paying it off. Some even planned for it, segregating the housing from the rest of the estate in a discrete way.

In Dublin at least, the reality is hitting home with a number of people that you need a really good job to afford to live there without social assistance. I don't think we will ever see those large scale social housing developments again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Just to be clear, are you saying these are the only two reasons why a landlord wouldn't accept RA tenants?

Pretty much the only reason people don't house RA recipients they don't know, is that when or if they choose to not pay there is little to no recourse to recover any money. I've spoken on this forum about it before, any tenant can cost a landlord 20-30k in damages and lost rent.

For somebody with a job and assets you can track them down, send in the sherrif and get wages garnished. At least try to recover some of the loss. With a RA tennant, you will in most cases get nothing. Any decent solicitor will tell you to drop it immediately.

i paid 180e tax most weeks and didnt complain about it,.

Oh how did I miss that. That's hilarious. Try paying 6-7 times that and be told you are entitled to absolutely nothing if you are out of work. Or that you are actually taxed more than a paye worker for the privilege of not getting anything. While people say you are a parasite for providing a service and keep having your tax bill increase as your income goes down with people cheering this on as some form of justice.
    Then when your income rises again people call for you to be taxed more and that your business should be stopped from making money. While people casually mention you are a tax cheat as if it is fact. Then you also get berated because you don't offer a service at a loss and say it is discrimination.

Some people should actually think about the rest of the world before they talk because look solely at yourself you miss why you don't get what you want without effort and it doesn't come free.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

anyone on rent allowance will almost certainly be unemployed, unlike employed people they have no reason to 'need' to live in dublin and close parts of north kildare , wicklow and meath. I dont understand anyone complaining when they could go live in areas like athy, gorey , kilcock , bettystown and other areas with a lower demand for housing and cheaper rents, even if you need to come up to dublin once a month for a job interview then you can as some public transport is available.

anyone who thinks they are 'entitled' to live in dublin on rent allowance is mad.

I can think of 3 situations amongst my friends why they need to live where they do. One is a lone parent with a special needs child who fought long and hard to get him into a special school in Dublin 1.
    Another is a mature student in the Dublin area who decided after 3 yrs unemployment to go back to edu to better his chances to take his family out of the poverty trap they fell into after he lost his job.
    My very close friend has an illness that has nearly killed her several times. She lives in a small apartment near the hospital. I have lost count on her hospital admissions since she started living independently. Social workers recommended she move out but be near her family.
    I am sure there are many other situations why people need to stay in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Eldarion

zef wrote: »
    I can think of 3 situations amongst my friends why they need to live where they do. One is a lone parent with a special needs child who fought long and hard to get him into a special school in Dublin 1.
    Another is a mature student in the Dublin area who decided after 3 yrs unemployment to go back to edu to better his chances to take his family out of the poverty trap they fell into after he lost his job.
    My very close friend has an illness that has nearly killed her several times. She lives in a small apartment near the hospital. I have lost count on her hospital admissions since she started living independently. Social workers recommended she move out but be near her family.
    I am sure there are many other situations why people need to stay in Dublin.

2 out 3 of those are exceptional circumstances and should not be catered for or fall under the general RA blanket being discussed here.

The one that is not is a result of life choices and imprudence, the burden of which should not fall on the taxpayer.

Advertisement