Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

paying VRT/VAT on a UK bike

• 28-04-2014 4:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭

For those who have a bit of experience with this..few questions I hope can be cleared up:

-The 6 month and 6k km rule for VAT- are the strict with this i.e If I present with a 2 yr old bike with 4.5k km will they actually charge me VAT?

-Which mileage reading counts, the one on the invoice from a UK dealer the day you bought it, or the reading on the bike on the day on inspection at the NCT i.e up to 30 days after it arrived in the state.?

-I was told by revenue that there is a late penalty if you go beyond the 30 day limit . It's 0.1/% of the VRT amount for every day it's late eg. 1% if 10 days late. So if I buy a bike with only 3k km and 30 days later it has 5k km, I can delay the VRT until I rack up 6k km to avoid the VAT and instead just pay a small late fee?

-What happens if I buy a bike on yellow plates from a private seller in Ireland and he has had it for 6 months? Will I be penalised when I take it to pay VRT as the bike has been way over 30 days in the state?

Any info appreciated

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

Mileage on the day is what's logged. I'd imagine that they would be strict enough with the 6mth/6k rule after all the revenue only see in black and white!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

serious3 wrote: »
    Mileage on the day is what's logged. I'd imagine that they would be strict enough with the 6mth/6k rule after all the revenue only see in black and white!

Yeah its the milage when you present it, you can take the long way to the ferry ;-) You have to make the appointment within 7 days and have 30 days to complete the registration, since it's a large revenue stream there aren't many delays getting the vehicle checked, where they note the milage. The only delay is getting OMSP for the extras but bikes are purely CC for VRT so no delays.
    Buying a UK bike that's been here a while could be an issue. I know it's come up in Motors a good few times but I've never read the threads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

if you're getting charged VAT, it'll be the rate on whatever invoice you present to them - handwritten or otherwise

the mileage is checked on whatever clocks are fitted to the bike at the time of inspection

the bike entered the country on the date of the ferry ticket you present to them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

Wossack wrote: »
    if you're getting charged VAT, it'll be the rate on whatever invoice you present to them - handwritten or otherwise

VAT is actually calculated on what they deem the OSMP would be, and in fact what the OSMP of the bike new.

This is from personal experience of when they wanted to charge me 2.5k on a bike that was only worth 4k at the time, but was worth over 10k brand new, which is where the 2.5k bill came from.

Make sure the miles are on the bike when you turn up at the NCTS, if they're not, it's really not worth the hassle, better to buy another bike with more miles on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,389 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Wossack wrote: »
    the bike entered the country on the date of the ferry ticket you present to them

Bit inconvenient if you bought in NI...!

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
Advertisement