Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

By Election

Options
  • 28-04-2014 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭

Has anyone been confirmed as a candidate in the by-election. I've heard a bit of noise that the sons of Mary O' Rourke and Albert Reynolds might be going for the FF nomination and obviously Gabrielle McFadden for FG. It seems like what's on your birth cert is the major factor in getting a party nomination.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭tubos

You could hardly begrudge Gabrielle McFadden the opportunity given the circumstances. FF will be deciding tonight who'll be running.

If its on the same day as the local elections, do the candidates have to remove themselves from the local election ballot paper?? I'm a bit confused how its going to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Aengus has that many signs up there is no way he is not going for it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭techdiver

tubos wrote: »
    You could hardly begrudge Gabrielle McFadden the opportunity given the circumstances. FF will be deciding tonight who'll be running.

I really don't get this attitude. It's a symptom of what is wrong with our system. The same crap happened in Meath with Helen McEntee winning the seat left by her father after his death.

You should be elected based on merit and not because of sympathy. Of course with the opposition likely to go the nepotism route too, there is little choice on who to vote for so.

In the end, the people always get the government they deserve.

techdiver wrote: »
    I really don't get this attitude. It's a symptom of what is wrong with our system. The same crap happened in Meath with Helen McEntee winning the seat left by her father after his death.

You should be elected based on merit and not because of sympathy. Of course with the opposition likely to go the nepotism route too, there is little choice on who to vote for so.

I wont be voting for her but I can understand why people would.

At least there is a bi-election and not just a simple so-option system like in the councils. I think its ridiculous that this system is in place in the councils. Councils should be clear of any party politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭athlonelad

Hopefully FG lose a seat or two in the 2 by-elections.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

You could hardly begrudge Gabrielle McFadden the opportunity given the circumstances.....

This is the kind of stuff that grinds my gears.
    The 1st time she went for a local election and landed to the door, I asked her why she was running and what would she do.
    The answer .... "Well all my family are in politics so I thought I'd give it a go"

I thought Alan Shaw hadn't been nominated to run for council this time. But I saw his posters today, I presume with the bi-election looming that allowed him back in to run for council.

On the McFadden issue, I think the wishes of the outgoing TD should be respected and her choice of successor be allowed at least run. She was voted in for a 4 year term so should at least be allowed suggest who should run for her seat and get that wish. Its up to the electorate to decide then.

Does anybody know if FF have chosen their candidates for the bi-election?

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/fianna-fail-directive-on-candidates-sparks-fury-30226319.html

There seems to be a history of FF'ers leaving the party in recent times in Athlone : Buckley Byrne, Boxer.

On the McFadden issue, I think the wishes of the outgoing TD should be respected and her choice of successor be allowed at least run. She was voted in for a 4 year term so should at least be allowed suggest who should run for her seat and get that wish. Its up to the electorate to decide then.

Ah, okay, I forgot that the electoral system in Ireland was a de facto monarchy. That makes sense.

I have no doubt that she will be elected though, as the Irish electorate are not the most political savvy bunch to say the least.

Think Aengus O'Rourke got the nod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭haro124

athlonelad wrote: »

They only have one seat to lose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭huey1975

athlonelad wrote: »

It will be hard for FG to lose two seats considering Patrick Nulty was elected as a labour td and then left to become an independent.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭athlonelad

huey1975 wrote: »
    It will be hard for FG to lose two seats considering Patrick Nulty was elected as a labour td and then left to become an independent.

I meant FG/LAB.

I have no doubt that she will be elected though, as the Irish electorate are not the most political savvy bunch to say the least.

Wait and see!

For me I'd prefer to have the better candidates on the county council where they have much more of an influence on local issues compared to getting voted into the Dail midway through a term.

Wait and see!

For me I'd prefer to have the better candidates on the county council where they have much more of an influence on local issues compared to getting voted into the Dail midway through a term.

I completely agree with that.

I think the country needs to move to a system that empowers the councils and keeps national politicians out of local issues. A national politician should never be elected based on who's planning permission they pushed through.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

When local councillors are given veto over county council budgets and actually have power to make decisions, then they will be relevant.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

If its on the same day as the local elections, do the candidates have to remove themselves from the local election ballot paper?? I'm a bit confused how its going to work.

Well, if there was a more solid Fg candidate than McFadden, for national politics, then begrudgery would be legitimate . There is no birth right, well, actually, there should not be a birth right, we all know, irrespective of her own ability or achievements, she will get in, because Irish people are idiots. Now of course, maybe she is an excellent public representative, but bloody hell dynasty politics is alive and well in the Midlands.

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    This is the kind of stuff that grinds my gears.
    The 1st time she went for a local election and landed to the door, I asked her why she was running and what would she do.
    The answer .... "Well all my family are in politics so I thought I'd give it a go"

Sure, she initially got into the council by co opt system when the sister went to the senand,

Expect Ends to come down, and then never speak to her again when rotting in the back benhes (to be fair, same could be said for other parties and candidates)

This might be unfair, but the rare time I heard of her was during the art gallery fiasco, when, laughably, she boldly stated that politics has no place in the arts, blindly ignoring that many pieces are influenced by politics and social issues. Reminded me of dermott Morgan's Albert Reynolds joke about "real art in the midlands" - a painting of a bowl of fruit or a clown with a tear in their eye.

I thought Alan Shaw hadn't been nominated to run for council this time. But I saw his posters today, I presume with the bi-election looming that allowed him back in to run for council.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/fianna-fail-directive-on-candidates-sparks-fury-30226319.html

There seems to be a history of FF'ers leaving the party in recent times in Athlone : Buckley Byrne, Boxer.

The wishes of an outgoing TD should always play second fiddle to the needs and best interest of the party, both local, national and parliamentary. Best candidate only. If that turns out to be the sister so be it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Political dynasties are a joke.
    TDs should also be limited to two terms.

nice_guy80 wrote: »

That would be undemocratic. Why should an individual who is excellent at their job, be forced to only 2 terms? That would further encourage short time legislation and oppose to looking at the long term issues

The issue aint really with dynasties per se, after all, why other more efficient people run against them? No one puts a gun to the voters head. It says more about the voter than anything

If a member of the family turns out to be just as good or better than daddy ... what is the problem?

Fine Gael Westmeath must really stink if they can only come up with McFadden however.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭slowharry

That would be undemocratic. Why should an individual who is excellent at their job, be forced to only 2 terms? That would further encourage short time legislation and oppose to looking at the long term issues

The issue aint really with dynasties per se, after all, why other more efficient people run against them? No one puts a gun to the voters head. It says more about the voter than anything

If a member of the family turns out to be just as good or better than daddy ... what is the problem?

Fine Gael Westmeath must really stink if they can only come up with McFadden however.

The office of president is limited to two terms. Not worrying about getting re-elected might actually encourage some long term policies instead of chasing after medical cards. The 2nd term of a US president is the generally considered the most productive (although US politics is not a great example I admit).

As you said this says a lot more about the voters that they keep voting for a surname rather than the policies or levels of competence. As for FF or FG they don't care if O'Rourke or Mc Fadden are anyway promising as future TD's all they just want another seat in the Dail.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭huey1975

nice_guy80 wrote: »

So assuming you are in opposition for one term then suddenly you are Taoiseach or a senior minister and then you are out on your ear. There wouldn't be much continuity with that system. Did you just type that without thinking or are you that moronic?

Was reading the questions and answers with Bye-election candidates today in the Advertiser.

Donal Jackson was asked who his inspiration/political hero was. He said that his wife was, which is fair enough, and then went on to say that if he is elected in both the bye-election and the local election that he will give his seat to his wife!

Was reading the questions and answers with Bye-election candidates today in the Advertiser.

Donal Jackson was asked who his inspiration/political hero was. He said that his wife was, which is fair enough, and then went on to say that if he is elected in both the bye-election and the local election that he will give his seat to his wife!

He went for elections last time around declaring that if he was elected he had a fool proof plan to have the Bondholders begging to be let pay back their loans themselves!

I'm assuming he decided not to share the secret when he didn't get elected!

Just seen this in the online edition. Holly sweet Jesus what a shower of idiots the lot of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

I really think Westmeath has the worst standard of politicians in the country. Laughable.

Raf32 wrote: »
    I really think Westmeath has the worst standard of politicians in the country. Laughable.

I suppose the issue is, why would anyone decent run, when the sheep of the county will vote for the same family dynasties anyway. That only leaves nut jobs to run against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

The 10 questions in the advertiser weren't exactly... taxing.

They're missing "What's your favorite film"

BoB_BoT wrote: »
    The 10 questions in the advertiser weren't exactly... taxing.

They're missing "What's your favourite film"

Judging by their political influences it would be 'Gandhi' or 'Mandela: Long walk to Freedom'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Is Benny Cooney running? An election stalwart.

Advertisement