Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Prius MK II Fuel Economy.

• 28-04-2014 6:34pm

O.K so I tried a bit harder today, 80-100 kph, light winds helped I'm sure and warmer temps for the battery.

3.9 L/100 kms. 72.43 mpg. Not bad really for a petrol automatic using 10 year old technology. Normally I drive 80-120 kph and get 4.4-4.6 L/100kms

IMG_20140428_181647.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Bigus

Very good mad lad this is from Edmunds forum main point being 102 mp American gallon.

"Hi All:

Addendum #2. After a few more overseas and local E-Mails, there may have been some translation issues which might make “The Attempt” a possible easier hurdle. It appears the Japan Prius II record for FE over a tank is 85.84 mpg at 1,300 miles, not 102.7 mpg. The Japanese Prius II tanks are bladderless and can hold upwards of 15.9 gallons from my understanding? I will have to do some independent verification of that size tank in the Japanese versions as it seems a bit large vs. the US spec’ed tanks. We have a shot at 1,300 miles even with the US/Canadian spec’ed Prius’ 11.9 gallon tank if we can fill her up with an additional .75 or so gallons. We have an unproven technique for this and we will see if it works just before we begin the 38 + hour team drive. We will have to hit 102.x mpg or so over the tank to reach it but there is a good chance of this after seeing what Krousdb can and has done in regards to FE with his own Prius II on this particular route along the Ohio River near Pittsburgh, PA.

In regards to a maximum FE segment, the Japanese Prius II FE record over a short segment is 107.7 mpg after a 40 Km drive at ~ 22 mph. Given our 105.2 mpg run over 4 - 22 mile segments (11 miles one way) at an average speed of ~ 36 mph, I am sure we nailed at least one of those segments at that level of FE performance although again, the US/Canadian spec’ed Prius II’s MFD is maxxed out so we did not have that level of resolution to see exactly what we achieved after any one RT segment.

Good Luck

Wayne R. Gerdes "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Xpro

Only recently I saw a taxi in town with prius fully stickered up and saying the most economic and efficient taxi in Dublin. 130mpg. I wonder where's he getting his figures from. :rolleyes:

Wow 102 U.S mpg is 122 imp. Don't think I could do that.

Though interestingly driving at 80-100 kph saw me home around 5 mins later compared to driving 120-130 and the odd stint of 140 kph on the motorway. For which 4.4-4.6 isn't bad at all. How you use or don't use the tiny amount of energy in the battery is what makes the difference.

In actual fact the Prius MK II has about 400 watt hrs of usable energy !!!

Adding a 10 KWh battery would make a big difference but it wouldn't make economical sense with the cost of batteries. But it can be done.

Xpro wrote: »
    Only recently I saw a taxi in town with prius fully stickered up and saying the most economic and efficient taxi in Dublin. 130mpg. I wonder where's he getting his figures from. :rolleyes:

Unless he imported a plug in from the U.K and charges at the public charge points when he's not busy, then yeah 130 mpg is highly possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

I got 18,2 mpg today, we cancel each other out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,253 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

@Xpro
    Probably one with an LPG conversion.
    The guys selling the conversion kit claim '130 mpg' but only if you take the price of LPG into account and convert the cost of the Gas into how much Petrol you could buy for the the same figure (if that makes sense).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭vandriver

Its an Lpg conversion.

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    The guys selling the conversion kit claim '130 mpg' but only if you take the price of LPG into account and convert the cost of the Gas into how much Petrol you could buy for the the same figure (if that makes sense).

yeah it makes sense, imagine converting the plug in prius to LPG ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,485 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

vandriver wrote: »
    Its an Lpg conversion.

Wouldn't an LPG conversion get worse mpg though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,066 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

@Xpro

Rather calling it "equivalent of 130mpg" would make more sense.

Otherwise, I could also say my diesel does 53mpg, while in fact it does 50. But surely if I compare price difference between diesel and petrol, then it comes at 53mpg.

Ehhh.

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »

Of course it would.

Yes but it would be the mpg equivalent being calculated, not the real mpg.

I've no doubt the plug in prius could get 130 mpg if you can plug in enough.

It would....but with LPG at around 77/78 cents per litre it would cost a lot less to travel the same distance than just using petrol alone.

Not standing up for the dubious advertising spotted on the Taxi, just pointing out how they 'arrived' at the 130mpg figure.

It would....but with LPG at around 77/78 cents per litre it would cost a lot less to travel the same distance than just using petrol alone.

Not standing up for the dubious advertising spotted on the Taxi, just pointing out how they 'arrived' at the 130mpg figure.

`Do you know for a fact it's LPG ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

Meh I get 4.4l/100km out of my golf on my regular trips to cork and that's back roads and 120kph. And that's from an ancient 1.9tdi engine which is out for god knows how long. I'm sure if I actually tried and emptied the boot out drive at 100 kmh if get more. But 400km to a quarter tank of diesel is plenty good enough for me :) still though the Prius would obviously come into its own on town trips.

Bpmull wrote: »
    Meh I get 4.4l/100km out of my golf on my regular trips to cork and that's back roads and 120kph. And that's from an ancient 1.9tdi engine which is out for god knows how long. I'm sure if I actually tried and emptied the boot out drive at 100 kmh if get more. But 400km to a quarter tank of diesel is plenty good enough for me :) still though the Prius would obviously come into its own on town trips.

Yeah but the prius is automatic and much smoother and quieter than an old rattle box PD VAG diesel. I've had them for well over 300,000 miles. And I than god I'll never have to drive them again.

The Prius is also a bigger car, no need for timing belts.

I don't care how many kms I get from a tank , I can fill up in a few mins !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

And I than god I'll never have to drive them.

I could say the same about the Prius :) but sure look we all have different tastes and likes/ dislikes. It's great that you enjoy your Prius so much and have found it so reliable. It will be interesting to see what it's like when your car miles get really high assuming you are keeping it for another good while.

Bpmull wrote: »
    I could say the same about the Prius :) but sure look we all have different tastes and likes/ dislikes. It's great that you enjoy your Prius so much and have found it so reliable. It will be interesting to see what it's like when your car miles get really high assuming you are keeping it for another good while.

Well just like the old PD, the Prius has well proven itself, The PD was a great engine, my B6 A4 went for 200,000 miles and was still going when I sold it. But boy was it a rough engine. And it was on the long life plan, so all those who say the oil must be changed every 10K miles needs a slap for wasting money, that fully synthetic oil is good stuff.

The prius is the only car I've ever had that gave 0 problems.

Looks like I'll be keeping the Prius beyond 200,000 miles, only 90K miles to go, or another 3.5 years and it cost us 8K or 5 K after the sale of the A4, but I can't believe the price the Prius III goes for today with 80K + miles however due to the reliability I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Miscreant

If I can get near the 70mpg from my Auris Hybrid I will be a very happy man. Only got it 2 weeks ago and I am averaging just over the 60mpg mark but have yet to fill up and make my own calculation.
    Still trying to get used to the car and adjusting my driving to it but I find that people seem to be quite impatient behind me these days even to the point of being undertaken at traffic lights three times so far when I was stopping at a red.... Cars undertook me and flew through red lights..... Never happened when I had my Volvo S60. :)
    Might look online for some hybrid driving tips or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

I managed 5.5l/100 yesterday according to my 1999 1.0 Yaris's Trip Computer doing mostly 120kph with two people in the car and another 100 or so KGs worth of gear, can definitely do way better at about 100kph.

• Advertisement

I managed 5.5l/100 yesterday according to my 1999 1.0 Yaris's Trip Computer doing mostly 120kph with two people in the car and another 100 or so KGs worth of gear, can definitely do way better at about 100kph.

The most I got out of the MK I yaris is about 45 mpg mixed driving like the prius in a week, nowhere even close to the Prius.

The yaris has to be driven very hard, and slows down on the motorway, keeping it to 100 kph helps a lot though. Those generation of cars were a fair bit lighter too.

That's the tank average, not a "on a run" or "on the motorway" figure.

Interestingly this morning I'm still at 3.9 L/100 kms simply by trying harder, not much by the way but not hitting 120 kph helps.

That's the tank average, not a "on a run" or "on the motorway" figure.

I reckon my tank average on a typical week for me would be around the 6l/100 mark or a bit lower as almost all of my driving is 100km/h.

I reckon my tank average on a typical week for me would be around the 6l/100 mark or a bit lower as almost all of my driving is 100km/h.

You could LPG it if you do enough miles.

A 6 speed box would have been a lot better with the MK I it screams something terrible over 100 kph.

You could LPG it if you do enough miles.

A 6 speed box would have been a lot better with the MK I it screams something terrible over 100 kph.

LPG'ing a 99 Yaris would be completely pointless, the cost of the installation is the same as the car :pac:

I find the engine quiet enough at 120, sits at about 3.5K. Now the road noise on the other hand, that's annoying, could just be down to the tyres though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

I got 18,2 mpg today, we cancel each other out
    I got 13mpg on a 150 mile round trip from dublin to kilbeggan via kildare.
    Beat that :D

On the shhhkooooda however I'm averaging 55 to a tank, although that does include some motorway/Dualway driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

LPG'ing a 99 Yaris would be completely pointless, the cost of the installation is the same as the car :pac:

I find the engine quiet enough at 120, sits at about 3.5K. Now the road noise on the other hand, that's annoying, could just be down to the tyres though.

But you would be lpg'ing a proven car, one that you know to be not a lemon.

But you would be lpg'ing a proven car, one that you know to be not a lemon.

That's true, but I don't plan on keeping it forever either :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

My Mk III this morning after 100km mostly busy motorway (M1 & M50 rush hour). If I tuck in behind an artic it goes down to ~3.5 l/100km or thereabouts. I averaged 4.6 doing Dublin - Cork and back a couple of weeks ago using cruise control @120kmh where possible.

I reckon a decent set of tyres would give a significant reduction too, the cheapo Chinese ones on it now are barely worn so it doesn't make sense yet.

BMJD wrote: »
    My Mk III this morning after 100km mostly busy motorway (M1 & M50 rush hour). If I tuck in behind an artic it goes down to ~3.5 l/100km or thereabouts. I averaged 4.6 doing Dublin - Cork and back a couple of weeks ago using cruise control @120kmh where possible.

I reckon a decent set of tyres would give a significant reduction too, the cheapo Chinese ones on it now are barely worn so it doesn't make sense yet.

Ah you can do better ! ;)

But yeah bad tyres make a difference too. I have low rolling resistance tyres and they're actually good.

• Advertisement

Mine came with brand new "Winda" tyres when I bought it, they aren't the worst I've ever driven (BCT wins that one) so I'll stick with them for now.

Winda ? never hard of them.

Think mine are Dunlop, forget which ones now,

`Do you know for a fact it's LPG ?

In this case, not definitely.
    But this '120/130mpg' is the main selling point being pushed by the LPG conversion companies....and they are targetting taxi drivers by advertising in the Taxi Industry Magazines, etc.

In this case, not definitely.
    But this '120/130mpg' is the main selling point being pushed by the LPG conversion companies....and they are targetting taxi drivers by advertising in the Taxi Industry Magazines, etc.

Could be the plug in though too which I could believe gets `120 + mpg provided you can keep the 4 kwh battery topped up, I don't know the exact kwh available out of the 4.

It could be a plug in conversion, I believe there is a mk II Taxi going around

Could be the plug in though too which I could believe gets `120 + mpg provided you can keep the 4 kwh battery topped up, I don't know the exact kwh available out of the 4.

We'll just have to get Xpro to keep an eye out for the same car and let us know what model it is (if he spots it again).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Thats a plug in as I've also seen it. The advertisement and web address is on the back

Miscreant wrote: »
    If I can get near the 70mpg from my Auris Hybrid I will be a very happy man. Only got it 2 weeks ago and I am averaging just over the 60mpg mark but have yet to fill up and make my own calculation.
    Still trying to get used to the car and adjusting my driving to it but I find that people seem to be quite impatient behind me these days even to the point of being undertaken at traffic lights three times so far when I was stopping at a red.... Cars undertook me and flew through red lights..... Never happened when I had my Volvo S60. :)
    Might look online for some hybrid driving tips or something.

Maybe you are just trying to change your driving style in the wrong way.
    Driving a hybrid is not about driving slowly. It's about using advantages of hybrid system. There are how-to's online somewhere ;)

Try to drive it like you drove your S60 and see a different.
    I'm not saying that's going to be the case, but you might get the same mpg, even though you will use more acceleration and braking, and you will travel faster.

I've had prius as rental car once for a week. I was flooring it nearly at all times, and I still didn't go above 6l/100km

On 4.0 L /100 kms, be cool if I get that for the week.

That's 70.62 imp mpg.

I'm on 4.2 :pac:

the calculated figure is usually 0.1 or 0.2 higher though

BMJD wrote: »
    I'm on 4.2 :pac:

the calculated figure is usually 0.1 or 0.2 higher though

Still happy !:D

• Advertisement

OSI wrote: »
    Never saw the point of this. Unless you're gonna charge me less, I don't give a fook what your fuel costs are. If an S500 and a Prius are both sitting at a taxi rank, there's only one driver getting my dosh, and it's not mister Prius.

U PLANET KILLING MONSTER U

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Xpro

OSI wrote: »
    Never saw the point of this. Unless you're gonna charge me less, I don't give a fook what your fuel costs are. If an S500 and a Prius are both sitting at a taxi rank, there's only one driver getting my dosh, and it's not mister Prius.

Thats exactly what went trough my head when I first seen it.
    ( I bet you theres noting economic when he sticks his meter on lol..):D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

I've read in places and also seen on TV that generally speaking, the optimum speed for best fuel economy is around 60 mph. That is a very rough guide.

I've found that in my car, my most economical speed is only 45 mph. She runs at about 55 mpg (dash Com) at that speed and at 60 it drops to around 47. At 65 its down further still.

Its because my car is a heavy auld lump and has a small engine so has to work harder. I'd be fairly confident that a 2 liter would be more economical out on the open road. Sometimes folk just assume that a smaller engine means less fuel used but that's often not the case.

The Diesel car we have on the other hand is at optimal efficiency at near 70!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭robertxxx

Whats the difference between a prius mk1 and mk11 and mk111

robertxxx wrote: »

Economy improvements, hatchback, looks and refinement

• Registered Users Posts: 1 pdiddylan

Seen that crowd of prius taxi's down around the curragh today, must have been trying to sell to the army!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

Barabbas, at what speed do you find your car runs most frugally?

Jesus. wrote: »
    Barabbas, at what speed do you find your car runs most frugally?

Do you want the truth?

I don't wanna sound like a spanner but I just enjoy driving the Alfa and haven't bothered measuring it.

Honestly it's just something I haven't given a thought to. I am driving good over the current tank so I may work it out on that one. I wish I could say I was flush enough not to care but my driving doesn't suit getting a proper figure if what the car can actually do. I got pretty good figures over the course of 3 tanks in a 2002 318ci (45.6mpg) and an Avensis mark 1(47.1mpg). I'll do the same in July with the 159 in July when I have time but right now I just sit in and drive.

Actually before anyone asks with those figures I was obviously aiming for the best figure possible and not driving as normal but I was driving at the posted speed limits including motorway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Bigus

robertxxx wrote: »

Prius mk 1 not worth considering, huge improvement in mk 11 and less so mk111

• Advertisement
Advertisement