Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Prius MK II Fuel Economy.

2»

Comments

Winda ? never hard of them.

Think mine are Dunlop, forget which ones now,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

`Do you know for a fact it's LPG ?

In this case, not definitely.
    But this '120/130mpg' is the main selling point being pushed by the LPG conversion companies....and they are targetting taxi drivers by advertising in the Taxi Industry Magazines, etc.

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    In this case, not definitely.
    But this '120/130mpg' is the main selling point being pushed by the LPG conversion companies....and they are targetting taxi drivers by advertising in the Taxi Industry Magazines, etc.

Could be the plug in though too which I could believe gets `120 + mpg provided you can keep the 4 kwh battery topped up, I don't know the exact kwh available out of the 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

It could be a plug in conversion, I believe there is a mk II Taxi going around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Could be the plug in though too which I could believe gets `120 + mpg provided you can keep the 4 kwh battery topped up, I don't know the exact kwh available out of the 4.

We'll just have to get Xpro to keep an eye out for the same car and let us know what model it is (if he spots it again).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,616 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Xpro wrote: »
    Only recently I saw a taxi in town with prius fully stickered up and saying the most economic and efficient taxi in Dublin. 130mpg. I wonder where's he getting his figures from. :rolleyes:

Thats a plug in as I've also seen it. The advertisement and web address is on the back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Miscreant wrote: »
    If I can get near the 70mpg from my Auris Hybrid I will be a very happy man. Only got it 2 weeks ago and I am averaging just over the 60mpg mark but have yet to fill up and make my own calculation.
    Still trying to get used to the car and adjusting my driving to it but I find that people seem to be quite impatient behind me these days even to the point of being undertaken at traffic lights three times so far when I was stopping at a red.... Cars undertook me and flew through red lights..... Never happened when I had my Volvo S60. :)
    Might look online for some hybrid driving tips or something.

Maybe you are just trying to change your driving style in the wrong way.
    Driving a hybrid is not about driving slowly. It's about using advantages of hybrid system. There are how-to's online somewhere ;)

Try to drive it like you drove your S60 and see a different.
    I'm not saying that's going to be the case, but you might get the same mpg, even though you will use more acceleration and braking, and you will travel faster.

I've had prius as rental car once for a week. I was flooring it nearly at all times, and I still didn't go above 6l/100km

On 4.0 L /100 kms, be cool if I get that for the week.

That's 70.62 imp mpg.

I'm on 4.2 :pac:

the calculated figure is usually 0.1 or 0.2 higher though

BMJD wrote: »
    I'm on 4.2 :pac:

the calculated figure is usually 0.1 or 0.2 higher though

Still happy !:D

• Advertisement

OSI wrote: »
    Never saw the point of this. Unless you're gonna charge me less, I don't give a fook what your fuel costs are. If an S500 and a Prius are both sitting at a taxi rank, there's only one driver getting my dosh, and it's not mister Prius.

U PLANET KILLING MONSTER U

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Xpro

OSI wrote: »
    Never saw the point of this. Unless you're gonna charge me less, I don't give a fook what your fuel costs are. If an S500 and a Prius are both sitting at a taxi rank, there's only one driver getting my dosh, and it's not mister Prius.

Thats exactly what went trough my head when I first seen it.
    ( I bet you theres noting economic when he sticks his meter on lol..):D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

I've read in places and also seen on TV that generally speaking, the optimum speed for best fuel economy is around 60 mph. That is a very rough guide.

I've found that in my car, my most economical speed is only 45 mph. She runs at about 55 mpg (dash Com) at that speed and at 60 it drops to around 47. At 65 its down further still.

Its because my car is a heavy auld lump and has a small engine so has to work harder. I'd be fairly confident that a 2 liter would be more economical out on the open road. Sometimes folk just assume that a smaller engine means less fuel used but that's often not the case.

The Diesel car we have on the other hand is at optimal efficiency at near 70!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭robertxxx

Whats the difference between a prius mk1 and mk11 and mk111

robertxxx wrote: »

Economy improvements, hatchback, looks and refinement

• Registered Users Posts: 1 pdiddylan

Seen that crowd of prius taxi's down around the curragh today, must have been trying to sell to the army!

Barabbas, at what speed do you find your car runs most frugally?

Jesus. wrote: »

Do you want the truth?

I don't wanna sound like a spanner but I just enjoy driving the Alfa and haven't bothered measuring it.

Honestly it's just something I haven't given a thought to. I am driving good over the current tank so I may work it out on that one. I wish I could say I was flush enough not to care but my driving doesn't suit getting a proper figure if what the car can actually do. I got pretty good figures over the course of 3 tanks in a 2002 318ci (45.6mpg) and an Avensis mark 1(47.1mpg). I'll do the same in July with the 159 in July when I have time but right now I just sit in and drive.

Actually before anyone asks with those figures I was obviously aiming for the best figure possible and not driving as normal but I was driving at the posted speed limits including motorway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Bigus

robertxxx wrote: »

Prius mk 1 not worth considering, huge improvement in mk 11 and less so mk111

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭robertxxx

Bigus wrote: »
    Prius mk 1 not worth considering, huge improvement in mk 11 and less so mk111

Do they all look the same bar the 2010 model?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Have to say I like the idea of a prius

Said it before I like driving a car with no engine noise and only one forward gear.

Except the engine in the prius does kick in half of the time which is not a major deal

The reason I never bought a prius is because ive heard and seen figures for fuel consumption and for the car I was expecting more than 50/60 mpg min but have seen and heard people only get 30-50 mpg more often than not.

Have to say I like the idea of a prius

Said it before I like driving a car with no engine noise and only one forward gear.

Except the engine in the prius does kick in half of the time which is not a major deal

The reason I never bought a prius is because ive heard and seen figures for fuel consumption and for the car I was expecting more than 50/60 mpg min but have seen and heard people only get 30-50 mpg more often than not.

The MK II is noisy when you accelerate hard, but for the majority of the time it's quiet.

30 mpg ? I don't think it's possible, I mostly average 60-65 mpg per tank and I could get 70 odd if I drove slower.

There are tricks such as pulse and glide where you lift off the accelerator, press gently and you get neutral, where you're essentially coasting, this works very well up to 71 kph. You will see no energy flow in this mode and no fuel will be consumes and there is also no battery power used.

This is more efficient than regen which is less efficient as it takes energy to put it back in the battery, you can't get back what you put in and coasting just uses the energy you're already consumed. If you get it wrong and slow down too much then you'll use more energy again to build up speed. It takes practive but it works great.

The other mode is once you're in neutral press the accelerator a little more and you get electric only power which basically gives you coasting with a electric shove, this can greatly help momentum and I can go through a good few towns and villages using absolutely no fuel using this trick.

The worst thing to do is use ev mode which will drain your battery very quickly,

The best time to use ev mode is when you're at lights and the engine won't turn off.

I really like the prius and it rides well handles well for what it is, the steering is far better since the recall and has much more weight.

The power delivery is pretty good and much more instant than diesel with very little lag. I hate driving a diesel now as you have such a narrow power band, however a diesel with a CVT box is much better than a manual as you always have torque.

Good post Barabbas.

Mad Lad, what about you?

Good post Barabbas.

Mad Lad, what about you?

What ye mean ?

What ye mean ?
    I've read in places and also seen on TV that generally speaking, the optimum speed for best fuel economy is around 60 mph. That is a very rough guide.

I've found that in my car, my most economical speed is only 45 mph. She runs at about 55 mpg (dash Com) at that speed and at 60 it drops to around 47. At 65 its down further still.

Its because my car is a heavy auld lump and has a small engine so has to work harder. I'd be fairly confident that a 2 liter would be more economical out on the open road. Sometimes folk just assume that a smaller engine means less fuel used but that's often not the case.

The Diesel car we have on the other hand is at optimal efficiency at near 70!!

Oh right jesus, now I get ye, lol.

I don't know to be honest. I just know what I average per tank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

Toyota publish a table for economy at all speeds. 40km/h is the most efficient.

Prius economy is not just about petrol. I got 50k kms from my last michelins only changed all 4 after the wife drove 50kms on a flat. I went to 205's so changed the four. As for servicing it been cheap and nothing has broken.

I had an e200 that a average 27.7 and the Prius has averaged 59.4 and in that time I have spent €5400 on fuel. That would have been €11500 for the same distance. Saving over €6k in three years.

650Ginge wrote: »
    Toyota publish a table for economy at all speeds. 40km/h is the most efficient.

25 mph!!! That's mad!

Mad Lad, don't you ever reset the Dash Com when you're cruising along the Motorway just to see what mpg you're doing right there and then?

I do it regularly, and on secondary roads too. I do be curious to see at what gear and speed I'm using the least fuel.

I thought you of all people would be well up on this kind of thing!!!

• Advertisement

25 mph!!! That's mad!

Mad Lad, don't you ever reset the Dash Com when you're cruising along the Motorway just to see what mpg you're doing right there and then?

I do it regularly, and on secondary roads too. I do be curious to see at what gear and speed I'm using the least fuel.

I thought you of all people would be well up on this kind of thing!!!

I don't need to, the instant readout appears on the energy monitor, if I reset the trip computer it's not going to give an accurate calculation of my over all consumption.

So what if I got 53 mpg on the motorway or 48 ? I always end up between 60-64 mpg per tank that's why I pay no attention to trip readings. That's what matters in the end.

Advertisement