Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Cork a safe place to live?

Options
  • 28-04-2014 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I am planning on moving to Cork with my partner, we are wondering is Cork as good as it looks? What are the dodgy areas? Anyone have pros and cons?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Ireland is consistently one of the safest countries in the world.

Cork is relatively safe within Ireland (I'd say Belfast and Dublin are statistically less safe) so I'd say Cork is probably up there with the safest cities in the Western World.

Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭thomil

I've been living in Cork since August 2012, when I moved here for work reasons. I have never had any reason so far to have any feeling of unease, at least not because of violent crime. The driving habits in these parts are a different matter, though. ;)
    Seriously though, Cork is a reasonably safe city, compared to other cities of the same size in Germany, where I'm from. There are some rough spots, like you have in any city, and there is always the chance of some petty crime in the more highly frequented areas of the city, but all in all, I find Cork to be a nice.
    As far as the dodgy areas are concerned, there are some areas up in Knocknaheeny that I would be careful in after dark. Blackpool also has a reputation as a bit of a focus for antisocial behaviour, though I haven't personally experienced any of that. In fact, the only person that I was ever threatened by here so far was another german who couldn't handle his drinks...
    Make no mistake, Cork is no "shining city on the hill", to borrow an american term, nor is it a masterpiece of urban planning, or of spectacular beauty. If you walk through the city with open eyes however, you will stumble across some surprising sights, and hidden jewels. I personally have never regretted moving here.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

I am planning on moving to Cork with my partner, we are wondering is Cork as good as it looks? What are the dodgy areas? Anyone have pros and cons?

Looks? That's strange to start with.

There is a rising unchallenged gang culture in the City, it was there when I was a kid and I used to go around armed, it seemed to periodically fade away over the years, it's back.

Near me there have been four murders in 30 years. Very well known families run riot, literally. If the city council moves any one of them to your area, you will be impacted.

Otherwise we still have a modicum of being able to leave the key in the door or the car unlocked yet still.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,121 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Very safe if you compare it to limerick or Dublin.

There is a bit of a gang culture around the city at present that does need to be stamped out but generally you feel safe walking the streets even at night.

There is some parts of the city I wouldn't recommend moving to but if you are looking at the south side suburbs you should look at bishopstown/wilton area.
    For location and quiet you won't find better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Red Nissan wrote: »

There is a rising unchallenged gang culture in the City, it was there when I was a kid and I used to go around armed, it seemed to periodically fade away over the years, it's back.

Near me there have been four murders in 30 years. Very well known families run riot, literally. If the city council moves any one of them to your area, you will be impacted.

Otherwise we still have a modicum of being able to leave the key in the door or the car unlocked yet still.

Well let's include Mahon with Knocknaheeney and Blackpool.
    Let us know what neighbourhood you are picking and lets advice you from there.
    The best we can do is that as it would be unfair to the rest of Cork City to label it like the above suburbs/ areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Be aware all the "dangerous" areas listed have plenty of safe areas too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

rob316 wrote: »
    Very safe if you compare it to limerick or Dublin.

The CSO statistics here show that Cork actuallt has a higher rate of serious crime per head of population than Limercick for 2011-2012
    http://www.cso.ie/en/media/csoie/releasespublications/documents/crimejustice/2012/gardacrimestats_2012.pdf

On a personal level I've been out in Limerick and Cork many times at night and generally feel safer in Limerick city at night. Having said that, during the weekends there can be a signigican number of unsavoury characters around the centre during the day, so I find Cork more pleasant during daylight hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭rebs23

Cork City and County has a crime rate well below Limerick, Dublin and Waterford. It is statistically the "safest" urban area in Ireland. Crime rates in Ireland are generally low but the anti social behaviour is a problem in certain areas.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/dublin-confirmed-as-irelands-crime-capital-but-which-county-is-the-safest-597344.html

mordeith wrote: »
    The CSO statistics here show that Cork actuallt has a higher rate of serious crime per head of population than Limercick for 2011-2012
    http://www.cso.ie/en/media/csoie/releasespublications/documents/crimejustice/2012/gardacrimestats_2012.pdf

On a personal level I've been out in Limerick and Cork many times at night and generally feel safer in Limerick city at night. Having said that, during the weekends there can be a signigican number of unsavoury characters around the centre during the day, so I find Cork more pleasant during daylight hours.
    That is a completely untrue statement. The CSO stats show consistently that Limerick has a much higher rate of Burglary, Sexual Assault, Robbery, Arson and a whole list of other crimes. Absolutley and statistically untrue over the last number of years.
    Nobody was debating Limericks well known crime problem.

rebs23 wrote: »
    That is a completely untrue statement.
    Practically even on murders, if you leave out Cork county. Behind in assaults, thefts as an example (on recorded incidents). No place more seriously dangerous than the other if you ask me.

Left-hand is recorded incidents. Right-hand column is per 100,000.

Murder/Manslaughter figures 2011/12

304913.jpg

Assaults 2011/12
    304914.jpg

Theft
    304916.jpg

Nobody was debating Limericks well known crime problem.

Why was it brought up in comparison to Cork then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

rob316 wrote: »
    ...you should look at bishopstown/wilton area.
    For location and quiet you won't find better.

Don't believe the hype. There were four drive-by patio-admirings in Bishopstown last month alone. Keep spendin' mos' our lives livin' in da gangsta's paradise. :cool:

mordeith wrote: »
    Practically even on murders, if you leave out Cork county. Behind in assaults, thefts as an example (on recorded incidents). No place more seriously dangerous than the other if you ask me.

Left-hand is recorded incidents. Right-hand column is per 100,000.

Murder/Manslaughter figures 2011/12

304913.jpg

Assaults 2011/12
    304914.jpg

Theft
    304916.jpg

Why was it brought up in comparison to Cork then?

It was an answer to a question in relation to Corks crime rate and how it compares.
    You stated that Cork has a higher crime rate than Limerick, which is utterly untrue. You then post that the two are practically the same from the CSO publication you quote. If you go down through the table and actually look at practically all sections there is a considerable difference between the areas in most categories.
    Limericks crime rate is 3-4 times that of Corks in attempts/threats to Murder
    Limericks crime rate is 3-4 times that of Corks in false imprisonment/abduction
    Limericks crime rate is 2 times that of Corks in Robbery
    Limericks crime rate is 2 times that of Corks in Burglary
    Limericks crime rate is above Corks in Theft (not from vehicle)
    Limericks crime rate is above Corks in Drugs offences
    Limericks crime rate is 6 times that of Cork in Firearms offences
    Limerick crime rate is 1.5 times that of Corks in Criminal Damage
    So in summary across all the major categories of serious crime you are much more likely to be a victim of crime in Limerick than Cork and that is from the publication you quoted.
    Sorry to our (hopeful) new arrival for your query being sidetracked by this little debate which I hope is over now.

So in summary across all the major categories of serious crime you are much more likely to be a victim of crime in Limerick than Cork

An awful lot of that crime would be scumbag-on-scumbag/feuding which isn't as much of a concern for the OP.
    Sorry to our (hopeful) new arrival for your query being sidetracked by this little debate which I hope is over now.

I suspect it's going to turn into a bitter digital feud between major Cork and Limerick e-thugs.

Karl Stein wrote: »
    An awful lot of that crime would be scumbag-on-scumbag/feuding which isn't as much of a concern for the OP.

I suspect it's going to turn into a bitter digital feud between major Cork and Limerick e-thugs.
    In fairness most of the theft and burglary stuff isn't scumbag on scumbag crime. Most of the other stuff has affected and does affect in a serious way the image, operation and life of Limerick City. Anyway none of this is probably of any relevance to the OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Red Nissan wrote: »

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭monty_python

I am from dublin and i have spent today and and yesterday wandering around cork city. I have felt very safe and i noticed alot of garda walking around

In fairness most of the theft and burglary stuff isn't scumbag on scumbag crime.

Fair point. I should have said violent crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 loopy80

So, Knocknaheeney and Blackpool are a little bit awkward. Any others?

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭mk6705

Cork certainly feels to me like one of the safest, most relaxed places in the country. As long as you stay out of one or two areas, which you probably wouldn't have reason to visit...and are mostly fine anyway, you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 loopy80

Adro947 wrote: »
    As long as you stay out of one or two areas

And these are ... ? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 mushypeas12

Safe but ****.

loopy80 wrote: »
    And these are ... ? :)

Feckin hell. It's not Compton in the 80s. If you can't get the vibe of an area as you enter it you won't survive long anywhere. Boarded up windows, burnt out cars etc., will tell you.

Advertisement