Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

365 does not logout as expected

Options
  • 28-04-2014 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,020 ✭✭✭✭

Dear BoI team,
    I just noticed (not sure if it was always like that but I don't think so) that when you click "logout" on 365 that you aren't logged out instantly. Instead the system loads a new page with a confirmation "do you want to logout?". This is not best  practice for banking apps. You should be logged out immediately. 

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Elaine

Hi murphaph,

Thank you for contacting us here on Boards.ie.

We would like to assure you that the security of our systems is maintained to the highest standard and is of the utmost importance to Bank of Ireland. The confirmation page is requested to ensure the user does indeed wish to log out of 365Online. This option is a long standing feature provided on the Mobile App and when logged in through the web.

We appreciate your feedback and will forward you comments to the relevant area. If we can help with anything else in the future, please don't hesitate to contact us again.

Thanks,
    Elaine

• Registered Users Posts: 19,020 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Hi Elaine,
    It's just a usability thing. Imagine a newish user to 365 (say someone new to the country with no internet access at home) is checking his account in an internet cafe (probably a bad idea in the first place but it happens) and clicks logout. He stands up and walks away without expecting or waiting for a confirmation screen and the less than honest character next to him can simply lean over, click "no" and snoop around.

I just find it a needless security hole that can be fixed in a few minutes. I have used many different banking portals and don't recall any other asking me to confirm my logout in this way, they just immediately end the session.

Anyway, I've said my peace. I wouldn't be caught with this myself, just thinking someone else might be. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭ps200306

murphaph wrote: »
    Hi Elaine,
    It's just a usability thing. Imagine a newish user to 365 (say someone new to the country with no internet access at home) is checking his account in an internet cafe (probably a bad idea in the first place but it happens) and clicks logout. He stands up and walks away without expecting or waiting for a confirmation screen and the less than honest character next to him can simply lean over, click "no" and snoop around.

I just find it a needless security hole that can be fixed in a few minutes. I have used many different banking portals and don't recall any other asking me to confirm my logout in this way, they just immediately end the session.

Anyway, I've said my peace. I wouldn't be caught with this myself, just thinking someone else might be. :-)
    I agree. Always disliked this feature. Why make me confirm I wanted to log out -- I've never logged out accidentally (and I'm a heavy user) and if I did the worst the could happen is I'd have to log in again. The page layout is problematic too since it requires a lot of mouse movement from the Logout button to the confirmation button. An annoying feature in an otherwise very usable application.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Elaine

Hi ps200306, 

Thank you for talking the time to get in contact with us. 

We appreciate your positive and constructive feedback and will forward your comments to the relevant area. 

If we can help you with anything in the future, please don't hesitate to contact us again. 

Thanks, 
    Elaine 

• Registered Users Posts: 15,985 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I think you'd want to be an awful fool to click logout and walk away without seeing any confirmation on the screen.

prompt or no prompt, always make sure you are logged out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭hillbloom

I agree, there is no need for this feature.  When you press LOG OUT you would expect you are logged out.  A person could log in & all your information is there.  I dont recall this with any other company.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Tow

It will log you out with one mouse click, if your press the back button!

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Laura

Hi all,

We appreciate all comments we have received in relation to the current log out process.

We would like to thank you for taking the time to contact us and have forwarded all this feedback on to our 365 Online Development Team.

Thanks again,
    Laura

Advertisement