Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Problem with neighbour

Options
  • 28-04-2014 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

Hi

I currently live in private rented house. I'm having a problem with one of the neighbours, because of car space. Basically there is a driveway which we share, and it easily fits 3 cars. Myself and my boyfriend own a car each and she has her own too.

The problem is I parked my small car into the driveway as I wouldn't be using it and there was plenty of room for her to park in front. When she arrived home she came knocking on my door complaining I had parked in, and that she needed to sleep during the day. She didn't want me knocking to get my car out. I told her I had college all day and would move it when I got home (she does be at work in the evenings too). She got quite angry and start saying that it was her space and that its not fair for our 2 cars to take up space. I understood but it was mainly for today. I explained that 3 cars fit and because both of us dont' use the cars everyday it should be no problem. She can still park in and out.

She herself on 2 occasions has parked in front of another neighbours friends car and she was went out. They ended up knocking on her door for ages and missed/were late getting to were they were meant to be. I'm trying to be considerate and compromise. I would make sure I wouldn't block her in.

Does anyone know is there any rules or laws against having more than one car per couple when living in rented house?

The landlord never said there was a limit and even if there was I'm sure a landlord can't take your right to own your own car?

Any help on what I should do would be great

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Why didn't you park at the top if you knew you wouldn't need your car? Normally I would think the first person home/person who knows they won't need to get out at a time someone else might would park closest to the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Mikros

Are the cars parked in a line behind each other? With only one entrance to the drive? So that whoever is first in is going to be parked in by the other two cars? I can't really picture it tbh. If that is the situation you really are going to have to come to an arrangement with the neighbour because it sounds like a recipe for conflict otherwise. I'd be pretty fed up myself having to play car tetris everytime someone wants to get out. As you have two cars versus her one you might have to do more of the accommodating.

There are no rules or laws about having more than one car. But if you are in a private estate / complex parking rules might be set by the management company. The landlord can't take away your right to own a car, but if their are parking rules for the development you have to abide by them. Is it a managed estate?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Mikros wrote: »

There are no rules or laws about having more than one car. But if you are in a private estate / complex parking rules might be set by the management company. The landlord can't take away your right to own a car, but if their are parking rules for the development you have to abide by them. Is it a managed estate?

I remember reading a thread iirc in the legal discussion forum recently which talked about planning permission for cars in driveways and the default being two.

I'll see if I can find it

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭lilsparkle69

Thanks for the replies

I did park at the top, but she wanted 'her space' back and says that our two cars shouldnt be allowed to take over. My car wasn't in the way.

Yeah it pretty much is like tetris sometimes but during the week there should be no problem. She can still get in and out no problem. My boyfriend and I tried to compromise but she said she will talk to the landlord as we shouldnt have two cars basically.

Its not a complex either, its just a georgian house with 5 flats inside.When we moved in a different neighbour had a car and we had one at the time, and the landlord said to sort it between us. I think the landlord didn't want to get involved.

I just think shes overreacting a bit, especially when we aren't causing a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Why didn't you just move your car when she asked?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Thanks for the replies

I did park at the top, but she wanted 'her space' back and says that our two cars shouldnt be allowed to take over. My car wasn't in the way.

Yeah it pretty much is like tetris sometimes but during the week there should be no problem. She can still get in and out no problem. My boyfriend and I tried to compromise but she said she will talk to the landlord as we shouldnt have two cars basically.

Its not a complex either, its just a georgian house with 5 flats inside.When we moved in a different neighbour had a car and we had one at the time, and the landlord said to sort it between us. I think the landlord didn't want to get involved.

I just think shes overreacting a bit, especially when we aren't causing a problem.

So you all rent flats in the same house, and share a communal driveway for the house?

What was her quibble? Were you blocking her in any way?

I actually did move my car, but the road we live on has clearways on both sides at different times. I need to put my car in so I dont get clamped. As Im in college I cant change the car from one side to another.

Yes it is a communal driveway. I felt she didn't have a valid reason, as I wasn't blocking her way and I wouldn't be disturbing her as I was in college all day. I think she feels she owns the spot. I don't know. :S

@december2012

I know that was the easier option, but I should be able to own a car and park it in too, without anyone bothering me. I pay my rent and never cause trouble. Maybe she was just looking for a quibble :s Basically, I just wanted to know where I stand, as she said earlier she will tell the landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Mikros

So she wanted to be first in that time so you wouldn't have to ask her to move during the day if you wanted to get out? Seems like a reasonable request. I'm not sure why you didn't just move the car, for the minute it would have taken. You have try a bit harder with that compromising, especially as you have the two cars.

But if I parked in after her and went to college, then I would be the unreasonable one. I parked first in so she could freely go in and out as she pleases. As I said I think its her being unreasonable and just trying to find any reason to start a fight.

I did move the car out but I put it back in for the night and she hasn't said anything.

Thanks for the replies :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement