Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

first fix alarm system - which cables and where ?

Options
  • 28-04-2014 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭

Hi everybody,

I'm a first fix stage in my house now, and was thinking to wire the house for further fitting of an alarm system. Nothing fancy, just having doors and windows protected, maybe few PIR inside .
    I haven't decided the full system yet and I'm running a little bit out of time TBH ...

What would be the best way to do it ?
    One wire from each window/ door until a centralized place in the house ? Same for PIR ?
    4 or 6 core cables ( or other ) ?
    I have 3 external doors , 7 opening windows, and 4 closed windows to protect all together in first floor.

Thanks in advance for your help ;)

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I would recommend 6 or 8 core to everywhere.
    If possible a separate cable to each window or each room at least.
    Depending on the layout of the house a cable for a PiR for all open areas 7 large rooms.
    A cable for internal & external bells.
    A cable to your main incoming phone line for monitoring.
    A cat 5/6 cable to your broadband modem to allow for IP for remote access to panel.
    Have you thought about wiring for CCTV? A Cat 5/6 cable & coax to each point would cover you for all options.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭bertie 56

KoolKid wrote: »
    I would recommend 6 or 8 core to everywhere.
    If possible a separate cable to each window or each room at least.
    Depending on the layout of the house a cable for a PiR for all open areas 7 large rooms.
    A cable for internal & external bells.
    A cable to your main incoming phone line for monitoring.
    A cat 5/6 cable to your broadband modem to allow for IP for remote access to panel.
    Have you thought about wiring for CCTV? A Cat 5/6 cable & coax to each point would cover you for all options.

Thanks KoolKid for your advices.

About the 6 or 8 core cable : any particular type / brand ? The diameter and number of strands are important ?

OK for each window and PIR place.

The cable for internal & external bells are normal electric cable ( 1.5mm2 ), am I right ?
    OK for phone line cable / Cat 5 or 6 .
    I haven't thought of CCTV but I could run cables alright.

About the place of the wires in windows and doors :
    For the non-opening windows, I suppose the only option is a glass break sensor ? In this case ,where would be the sensor best place ? in a corner of the glass or in the top middle ? Or doesn't matter ?

The opening window are top-swing ones : any particular place for the wire ?
    And last thing, the doors : where is the best place for the wire to arrive ? In the top corner, I suppose, opposite the hinges, but better in the vertical or in the horizontal part ?

As you see, I'm a really newbie in this ! :o

Thanks, ;)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Internal and external bells are low voltage . Alarm cable is fine here also.
    On windows with no openings you can use a standard inertia shock sensor.
    If there are openings you can use a combined inertia contact and magnetic contacts. The contact should be located at the widest part of the opening .ie away from the hinged side if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭bertie 56

Thanks KoolKid for this, I wish I could send you a virtual pint !

Any other ideas from other posters ?

Thanks

Ahh your welcome. If you need any more give me a shout.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Diggerdunne

Run a cat 5 from your alarm panel to your heating controls as u can use your alarm to turn on and off your heating in a very simple and cheap way thru a Gsm dialler...

Advertisement