Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BikeSafe Eastern Region, expressions of interest sought

• 28-04-2014 8:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭

Following the successful recent launch of BikeSafe North East, Sergeant Patrick Dowd, Meath Traffic Unit, is currently seeking expressions of interest from riders with a view to establishing a BikeSafe initiative in the Eastern region, covering Meath, Westmeath, Carlow, Kildare, Laois, Offaly and Wicklow.

Full details on the MAG Ireland web site at:
    http://www.magireland.org/2014/news-media/bikesafe-eastern-region/
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

Definitely doing this, would be going from Carlow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭szatan84

I'd do this too. Im in Wicklow.

If interested fire off an email to easternregion.traffic@garda.ie with your name and contact details stating that you are interested in the Bike Safe initiative.

Great opportunity to advance your skills and get a free assessment. As an added bonus some insurance providers give discounts to riders that have completed this and received a certificate of completion. My insurer Adelaide gives a 10% discount.
    BikeSafe is an initiative run by An Garda Síochána that aims to reduce the number of motorcycle casualties. By assessing (free of charge) your riding skills and passing on their knowledge, skills and experience, advanced Garda motorcyclists can help you to become a safer and more competent rider.

Sergeant Patrick Dowd, Meath Traffic Unit, is currently seeking expressions of interest from riders with a view to establishing a BikeSafe initiative in the Eastern region, particularly those in Meath, Westmeath, Carlow, Kildare, Laois, Offaly and Wicklow.

BikeSafe in Ireland is a purely voluntary effort by individual members of An Garda Síochána who give freely of their time and expertise for the benefit of all riders.

The BikeSafe approach consists of two main elements.

Firstly, an informal discussion session explores the main issues facing today’s rider followed by a short safety briefing before the on-road element in which the rider is observed and assessed by a Garda motorcyclist.

Garda MotorcyclistOnce on the road, the rider will ride a pre-determined course which includes both urban and rural settings using both primary and secondary roads. The fundamentals of advanced riding are introduced through the on-road element following which the Garda observer will provide an assessment and feedback to highlight areas where the rider can improve their skills.

On completion the participant will be presented with a grade and information on how and where to further their skills and hazard awareness, hopefully making their riding safer and more enjoyable.

MAG Ireland wholly endorses the efforts on An Garda Síochána and we actively encourage and promote post test rider training as the only proven way to reduce motorcyclist casualties.

BikeSafe is an ideal introduction to the art of advanced riding, and an incredibly useful benchmark from which to learn and develop your skills on, and enjoyment of two wheels.

If you’re interested in taking part in BikeSafe, please e-mail easternregion.traffic@garda.ie with your name and contact details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Its a very good scheme, I did it and passed about 2 yrs ago and have the certificate on my wall. The Guard I was doing mine with was very nice....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

I am a bit apprehensive but I sent off an email anyway. Sure whats the worst that can happen:P

• Advertisement

I am a bit apprehensive but I sent off an email anyway. Sure whats the worst that can happen:P

Nothing to worry about Joe.....its a there to help you not judge you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Sounds like a fantastic initiative, if I still own a motorbike I would go for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Sent off an email. No point in missing training from highly skilled riders, especially if it's free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Del2005 wrote: »
    Sent off an email. No point in missing training from highly skilled riders, especially if it's free.

Even better.

There must be a lot of demand for this as I just received an email asking me to pick Port Laoise or Naas.

I picked Port laoise! Who else is doing it in Port Laoise?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭The_Chap

got my email there too - had a choice of 6 - picked dunshaughlin as its closest

how you doing Blu - might see you out and about soon once I dig the blade out of hibernation!

Had a few choices myself but I went for my closest location which is Moate.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Mr Sheen!

The_Chap wrote: »

how you doing Blu - might see you out and about soon once I dig the blade out of hibernation!

Also picked Dunshaughlin :D

The_Chap wrote: »

If you can make it were having a spin on bank holiday Monday with a few, check out the Sunday Spin thread :).

blu3r0ri0n wrote: »
    If you can make it were having a spin on bank holiday Monday with a few, check out the Sunday Spin thread :).

I saw that yeah, only have a half day pass so bit far for me, next time

Anybody hear back yet?? Havent myself

Anybody hear back yet?? Havent myself

Heard nothing since I got an email saying they would give me a June date...still waiting

Same here, nothing yet, not even a response to my emails...

Id say it just one lad organising this in each area, could be on holidays. But I got a date and could not do it and never heard from them again either. Good job I already have it done.

Not just me so. I had a problem with my email a while ago and wondered if i missed or deleted the mail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

I had it organised previously but my SV sold the day before it so i had to cancel.
    I now have it setup coming Sunday in Naas at 10am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

I had my bikesafe today in Naas. It went great!

I was told there is a massive backlog in a lot of areas but to just fire off another email if you are still looking to do it and have not heard back yet.

Advertisement