Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible to live abroad for a month?

Options
  • 28-04-2014 9:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

My long term boyfriend broke up with me unexpectedly and I just want to get away from everything for a while.
    I was thinking of going on a spur-of-the-moment trip, possibly to Edinburgh. Would it be possible to live there cheaply for about a month to six weeks? And would it be possible to get a job there for such a short time? Also, I don't require a work visa for somewhere in the EU do I?
    This idea is quite up in the air at the moment, so I'm open to any help, tips or advice; it would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Spain or the South of Italy would be good places to go, live on the cheap for a month or so,and you'd have the bonus of good weather to help pep you up a bit.

You don't need a work visa for the EU.

Somewhere completely different culturally and linguistically could be good for the head.

I would have imagined Edinburgh is dear enough, as it's a popular tourist destination.

You could try other places in the UK if you wanted to keep it English speaking. Maybe Cornwall or Devon, or Wales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 5wdenfjytk9rpo

Somewhere warm would be nice, but if I was looking for a job there would be a problem with the language barrier.
    I guess Edinburgh would be pretty expensive. I was just trying to think of places as well that could have a lot of potential jobs going. I'll have to think of somewhere that could have the best of both worlds.

Would it be worth my luck to just go over to a different city in another country and wing it in getting a job? Would it be possible to just walk in somewhere and work a few hours each week for a bit of cash in hand?

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Diane Selwyn

Travel is always a good idea & a change of scene could be exactly what you need for a bit - I've noticed that hostels seem to employ people for short periods sometimes. You might also be able to make some cash teaching English if you go to Spain or Portugal. You don't need a work visa for the EU if you have an Irish (or any EU) passport. If you were set on Edinburgh and have any office admin type experience try employment agencies you might be able to pick up a temp assignment. Sometimes its nice to just take a bit of time out though if you can afford it.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭bonescap

I moved to Spain in January at the last minute. In my experience it was very easy to find work teaching English here even though I had no Spanish. Its very easy to get by with little money if you live outside of the bigger cities like Madrid or Barcelona.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

There's your answer right there. Spain wouldn't be bad for a month.

You could go to Rome too. Not the cheapest, but probably no more expensive than Edinburgh. Loads of English speaking tourists, so you could pick up something casual in an Irish bar or hostel for a month and have the craic as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Sorry for your troubles.

Do you have a job here at the moment? I'd think carefully about leaving that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

The Algarve could work. Very inexpensive to live (especially east Algarve) and loads of English and Irish pubs and restaurants that might give you some work.

I do have a job here, and I wouldn't leave it without discussing it with my boss first. She knows about my current situation anyway.

I hadn't thought about Irish pubs and bars, actually. That would open up my options about where I could go, thank you.

Advertisement