Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegan friendly takeaways

Options
  • 28-04-2014 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Only recently vegan, still transitioning really. Husband is only veggie for the time being. We try to eat fairly healthy and clean meals the majority of the time but do occasionally like a takeaway, probably once a month maximum.

What are the vegan friendliest kind of takeaways? Do you have trouble explaining to non native speakers what vegan means?

Just looking for some suggestions really. Were in Swords in North Dublin.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Hi all,

Only recently vegan, still transitioning really. Husband is only veggie for the time being. We try to eat fairly healthy and clean meals the majority of the time but do occasionally like a takeaway, probably once a month maximum.

What are the vegan friendliest kind of takeaways? Do you have trouble explaining to non native speakers what vegan means?

Just looking for some suggestions really. Were in Swords in North Dublin.

I like chinese, tofu satay is my fav, there are some things you have to be aware of with chinese of course. Indian is harder I find, because so many things have cream or yoghurt or ghee, sometimes I try to ring up and ask if such a dish has cream etc and they find it very hard to understand me, so as a result I tend to avoid indian takeaway. Thai I'm very untrusting of too because nearly everything has fish sauce. Pizzas always a good option, just ask for no cheese. Firehouse pizza in Ballymun is really good and even has the option of vegan cheese. But most of the time we get chinese because there's plenty of options, and even if you see a dish on the menu that is meat, a lot of the time I'll just ask them can I get that with tofu and mixed veg instead and they're fine with that, it's also nice n cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

--LOS-- wrote: »
    I like chinese, tofu satay is my fav, there are some things you have to be aware of with chinese of course. Indian is harder I find, because so many things have cream or yoghurt or ghee, sometimes I try to ring up and ask if such a dish has cream etc and they find it very hard to understand me, so as a result I tend to avoid indian takeaway. Thai I'm very untrusting of too because nearly everything has fish sauce. Pizzas always a good option, just ask for no cheese. Firehouse pizza in Ballymun is really good and even has the option of vegan cheese. But most of the time we get chinese because there's plenty of options, and even if you see a dish on the menu that is meat, a lot of the time I'll just ask them can I get that with tofu and mixed veg instead and they're fine with that, it's also nice n cheap.

Thanks! I've tried the firehouse pizza with the vegan cheese, the pizza was nice but I wasn't too sold on the cheese!

I'd love to be able to order Chinese. Do you know which of the sauces would be safest, like black beans or szechuan? Or is it just a case of ringing and asking them.

As I'm still new to this I feel a bit silly ringing up and asking all these questions. I dont know why, its a perfectly acceptable thing to do :o

• Registered Users Posts: 34 R.M.

Sanuk is amazing :) It's in swords village. I'm not vegan but I know that they have lots of veggie options and they seem to be happy to adapt the dishes for you so I'm sure you could get something nice there.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 R.M.

forgot to mention it's thai food, yum

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

We did order frm Sanuk back when it first opened and we were still meat eaters. I remember it being able to cater for veggies so that might be the next place we try. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Thanks! I've tried the firehouse pizza with the vegan cheese, the pizza was nice but I wasn't too sold on the cheese!

I'd love to be able to order Chinese. Do you know which of the sauces would be safest, like black beans or szechuan? Or is it just a case of ringing and asking them.

As I'm still new to this I feel a bit silly ringing up and asking all these questions. I dont know why, its a perfectly acceptable thing to do :o

ye I'm not crazy on it either, ordering without it is just as nice. With chinese it's mostly egg, so no egg fried rice, egg noodles, and their veg spring rolls may or may not contain egg. With chinese sauces, oyster/fish sauce isn't as common, most sauces are fine, I'm not familiar with the sauces that do use it though.

Thought these were good...

http://www.just-eat.co.uk/blog/vegan-takeaway-dishes/

http://www.peta2.com/lifestyle/vegan-chinese-takeout-guide/ It's peta but ya know

One of those talks about ordering the fried rice and asking them to hold the egg, why have I never thought of this!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

All this talk of yummy vegan food has me hungry now!

Advertisement