Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Length of the Wicklow Way

Options
  • 28-04-2014 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me how long the full wicklow way actually is in its current route?

You'll find anywhere between 120km and 135km when searching the web, which is presumably to do with them rerouting it a good while ago.

Hiking it all in two days in June and that 15km difference is around 3 hours of being on my feet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭preacherman

CardinalJ wrote: »
    Hi all,

Can anyone tell me how long the full wicklow way actually is in its current route?

You'll find anywhere between 120km and 135km when searching the web, which is presumably to do with them rerouting it a good while ago.

Hiking it all in two days in June and that 15km difference is around 3 hours of being on my feet.

Not sure of actual distance of Wicklow way but 120/135k in two days would be a great achievement. Are you carrying camping gear etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

My wife did it over the Easter weekend and according to the GPS tracks it's 132km, but that included two very minor detours up Djouce and Prince William's Seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

Not sure of actual distance of Wicklow way but 120/135k in two days would be a great achievement. Are you carrying camping gear etc?

Yea the sheer time going to be spent on our feet only hit us the other day. We've been doing a lot of 10+hr days training for it. Would do a decent bit of hiking anyway but never so long. Not carrying camping gear, want to stay as light as we can, going to stay in Glenmalure as it's pretty much half way and the Way goes straight past so no detouring. Going to leave all our food and water for the second day there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

In or around 130 km, 131 km in our guidebook measurement. But it's not just distance, there's approx 3500 metres of cumulative ascent and descent.. lots of glens to climb in and out of. It's been run in about 14 hours, obviously travelling very light.

BarryD wrote: »
    In or around 130 km, 131 km in our guidebook measurement. But it's not just distance, there's approx 3500 metres of cumulative ascent and descent.. lots of glens to climb in and out of. It's been run in about 14 hours, obviously travelling very light.

Thanks, Im well aware of how much ascent/descent there is. I was asking about thw distance as if we're keeping a pace of 5or so kph it's a lot more time on your feet and it's my feet that have suffered any time I've got a bit sore.

I think I read about s guy doing it in around 12 hours running, which is just amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭rick_fantastic

A guy who I know who ran is said it was 127km

Maybe he was taking shortcuts :) The Wicklow Way is currently 131.25 km going by our data.

Although I should qualify that by saying this is a planimetric distance i.e. measured as if flat. The slope or real distance will be greater than this. Since this is about 3500m ascent roughly and 3500m descent - this is 7000 metres over a distance of 131000 metres or approx an extra 200 metres!

Now that's the best answer you'll get :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭Enduro

I think I read about s guy doing it in around 12 hours running, which is just amazing.

12:25, to be more more accurate. Set on last year's Wicklow Way Race.

Who did that time, was that individual or team? Was it Eoin Keith had record for a while, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭preacherman

Yea the sheer time going to be spent on our feet only hit us the other day. We've been doing a lot of 10+hr days training for it. Would do a decent bit of hiking anyway but never so long. Not carrying camping gear, want to stay as light as we can, going to stay in Glenmalure as it's pretty much half way and the Way goes straight past so no detouring. Going to leave all our food and water for the second day there.

Good stuff, best of luck with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Who did that time, was that individual or team? Was it Eoin Keith had record for a while, I think.
    'Enduro'.

'Enduro'.

Good man, Enduro!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭Enduro

Good man, Enduro!

And I am Eoin Keith, so you guessed that correctly. Hopefully we might see some people have a go at breaking the record at this year's race later this month.

Enduro wrote: »
    And I am Eoin Keith, so you guessed that correctly. Hopefully we might see some people have a go at breaking the record at this year's race later this month.

It's an obscenely impressive achievement.

Advertisement