Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Multimedia course hours?

• 29-04-2014 1:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

So i'm planning to go do the multimedia course next year and I'm just wondering how many hours a day will I be in college?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭Beakflakes

Frolt wrote: »
    So i'm planning to go do the multimedia course next year and I'm just wondering how many hours a day will I be in college?

Hi there.

I reckon I will be doing this course in September. I have been on the look out for an example of the what the 1st year timetable looked like in previous years.

I think it's in and around 16 hours in first year... I could be wrong. If I find a timetable I'll send it on to you...

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Frolt

Beakflakes wrote: »
    Hi there.

I reckon I will be doing this course in September. I have been on the look out for an example of the what the 1st year timetable looked like in previous years.

I think it's in and around 16 hours in first year... I could be wrong. If I find a timetable I'll send it on to you...

Ahh thanks, I'd really like to know what time I'll be in college until and stuff, do you know if the lectures start in the morning (from like 10 until 1 or something) or if it's later on in the day?

Frolt wrote: »

Here's an example of the course hours for 1st years in 2012. This is all I could find.

Note: It looks as if some of the seminars in green shading are grouped (Digital Storytelling, Authoring and Introduction to Social Studies) so you would only have to go to the time assigned to your particular group (grouped 1 to 3 based on alphabetical order of surnames or whatever).

This works out at around 11 hours per week of as far as I can see.... but this was in 2012. Seems low on seminar/lecture hours then but a lot of emphasis is placed on personal effort and group work outside of class, I gather.

I could be way off now so any student past or present will have a better answer for you on the hours involved in 1st year.

Hope you get in to the course. It looks very interesting. Maybe see you there!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Frolt

Here's an example of the course hours for 1st years in 2012. This is all I could find.

Note: It looks as if some of the seminars in green shading are grouped (Digital Storytelling, Authoring and Introduction to Social Studies) so you would only have to go to the time assigned to your particular group (grouped 1 to 3 based on alphabetical order of surnames or whatever).

This works out at around 11 hours per week of as far as I can see.... but this was in 2012. Seems low on seminar/lecture hours then but a lot of emphasis is placed on personal effort and group work outside of class, I gather.

I could be way off now so any student past or present will have a better answer for you on the hours involved in 1st year.

Now I just have to aim for the points :) Ah I wouldn't really like to be stuck in until half 5, wish all the college lectures and seminars were in the morning so I'd get to go home early, evening classes suck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭bren2001

Any DCU timetable can be obtained from here. First semester weeks 1-12, second 20-31.

https://www.dcu.ie/timetables/time2.shtml

The course code of interest is MMA (going by Beakflakes screenshot). Typing in the course code to the dcu website will bring up the course page where all the subject taught can be found.

• Advertisement

I don't think this is the Masters timetable as it has "Introduction to Social Studies"as one of the lectures listed. I believe it is a timetable of one semester of year 1 from a few years back.

I cannot access the timetables from your link on the phone. It gives me no option to type in code of actual course, i can only select module codes it seems. Will try at home later on a laptop. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭bren2001

I don't think this is the Masters timetable as it has "Introduction to Social Studies"as one of the lectures listed. I believe it is a timetable of one semester of year 1 from a few years back.

I cannot access the timetables from your link on the phone. It gives me no option to type in code of actual course, i can only select module codes it seems. Will try at home later on a laptop. Thanks.

Its the timetable from the undergrad course. Once you know the code for whatever masters course you are looking for, the link I posted will give you the timetable. Unless you were redirected to another page, the drop down list of codes are the codes for each course.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 atog

my friend did it and hours are failry reasonable

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭sarahguitar92

On average you'll have about 10 or 11 hours a week. The reason there are so many free hours is because you'll need the time to work on projects and assignments outside of class time, especially towards the end of the semester when the deadlines start piling up. Beakflakes is also right about the seminars that are split into groups based on where your surname falls in the alphabet. There's no way of telling how early/late in the day your lectures will be, for example in first year on Mondays I had just the one lecture from 4-6, this year I had one lecture on Wednesdays from 9-11, and some days are pretty full. It varies really. You can probably expect to have a day off during the week… it's nice if that day is Friday! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭MarkyMark22

Hey,

You'll have about 10-12 hours a week of lecture and seminar times in first year.

You'll have some pretty boring modules. Psychology and Social Studies come to mind.

When you first start you will probably be a bit frustrated at just coming in to college for an hour or two a day but once you make friends and get involved with societies you will end up hanging around all day.

In my opinion, getting involved with societies is important to enjoying yourself. Multimedia students and humanities students in general usually get involved with MPS (Media Production Society)

They have DCUfm and DCUtv. On FM you can host your own radio show for an hour or so. With TV you can get involved with producing videos!

Give me a PM if you want any more information :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement