Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HOMELAND SECURITY: Don't use Internet Explorer

Options
  • 29-04-2014 1:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 65,441 ✭✭✭✭
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

All versions are affected, even IE11

Clip here from USA Today

Interesting that the advice comes from Homeland Security, I don't recall anything like this coming from them before

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

heres a tip, use chrome, or iron browser .
    I don,t know why anyone uses IE , as there seems to be constant problems with that browser .Epecially on older pcs, which are not updated with security updates in some cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Even without the bugs its a woeful browser. Don't know why anyone bothers with it at all now with so many better options out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Conspiracy theorists will probably start using IE now. :pac:

"What is it the US Government don't want us to know? The NSA control Chrome and want you on it!

So sayeth Alex Jonesth!"

Anyone who uses ie probably does,nt care about security.
    or know much about pcs.
    ITS a good trend if the government starts warning about products that have lax security.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

riclad wrote: »
    Anyone who uses ie probably does,nt care about security.
    or know much about pcs.
    ITS a good trend if the government starts warning about products that have lax security.

The don't need to know much about PCs if;

- the software their companies have need IE to run.
    - they're just a basic user and want to turn it on and work away.

I find this kind of attitude baffling. It's not like IE is the only browser to have had a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Something worth pointing out to IE users is to make sure EPM mode is enabled, see here on how to enable/disable EPM. This vulnerability is to do with a bug within the Flash player plugin, and EPM may prevent it being exploited if IE must be used. Of course using another browser is also advisable and I'd recommend Firefox (personal preference).

Nick

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Conspiracy theorists will probably start using IE now. :pac:

"What is it the US Government don't want us to know? The NSA control Chrome and want you on it!

So sayeth Alex Jonesth!"

It would make more sense to use Firefox, since it's open source and any intervention by the NSA would be found eventually. It would be difficult for them to gain access to it.

For intelligence agencies, they are more likely to try and attack the likes of Google, Gmail in particular. It's interesting that people are becoming more and more concerned about where their data is and who it is with. Time will tell I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

And this is most likely one of the first zero day bugs people have been sitting on waiting for the XP support to end.

Some companys have pcs locked down,
    users have no choice but to use internet explorer ,
    and of course windows xp, is vurnerable to hackers,
    since its no longer being updated unless you have a support contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Can IE be uninstalled from win 7. I though MS was no longer permitted to lock it in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

danjo-xx wrote: »
    Can IE be uninstalled from win 7. I though MS was no longer permitted to lock it in.

Yup,

From the programs tab...

Windows components I think they refer to it as...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

danjo-xx wrote: »

It can be disabled, but not completely removed. Some system components rely on IE to function properly.

Nick

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

There is also Windows 7 E which comes without IE. It came out as a result of the EU Commission case with Microsoft.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/166540/windows_7_without_internet_explorer_microsoft_explains.html

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Mr. G wrote: »
    There is also Windows 7 E which comes without IE. It came out as a result of the EU Commission case with Microsoft.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/166540/windows_7_without_internet_explorer_microsoft_explains.html

I don't get what the big deal is. It doesn't prevent other browsers from installing.

What do Apple's come with?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭200motels

I don't get what the big deal is. It doesn't prevent other browsers from installing.

What do Apple's come with?
    Safari.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 667 ✭✭✭S.R.

Mr. G wrote: »

How can you use a browser-free comp?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

S.R. wrote: »
    How can you use a browser-free comp?

Command line. Easy once you get used to it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 667 ✭✭✭S.R.

Command line. Easy once you get used to it.

Arthur, what is command line? Sorry, I am not Bill Gates. :)

I thought there was supposed to be a browser ballot menu ,
    choose which 1 you want to use as your primary browser .
    eg firefox, opera ,chrome, internet explorer.
    If you are worried about security , use iron browser, or firefox,
    in private mode.

You could probably get a browser ,using the dos prompt mode, command line,
    or use an ftp command ,if you are an expert.
    See start,menu, acessorys, dos prompt,
    in the 80,s programs ran from a dos prompt,
    eg run program name.exe ,from dos.
    EG before windows was invented .
    You,d install a game from 10 3.5inch disks .
    Before every pc had a cdrom drive.
    IN the dark ages.

Advertisement