Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Louis - Cork City Hall - What year?

Options
  • 29-04-2014 2:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭

Hi Folks.

Sorry, i don't know much about boxing. But we've come across a photograph of my uncle with Boxing legend Joe Louis, taken in Cork City Hall. We are trying to find out what year it could have been taken.

Is there anyone out there that could help me? Or even point me in the right direction to find out more. I've tried the usual google searches and i've come up with nothing.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Kind regards
    LM4L

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭livemusic4life

No one?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭megadodge

I'm a big Joe Louis fan, but I never heard of him visiting Ireland.
    Now, that doesn't mean he didn't, but someone as famous as that especially back in the day when Ireland was not exactly high on the list of high profile sportsmen / celebrities would have generated a lot of fanfare here.

Are you sure it was in Cork City Hall? If so, maybe if you contacted somebody working there they might help.

Let us know if he actually did visit.

megadodge wrote: »
    I'm a big Joe Louis fan, but I never heard of him visiting Ireland.
    Now, that doesn't mean he didn't, but someone as famous as that especially back in the day when Ireland was not exactly high on the list of high profile sportsmen / celebrities would have generated a lot of fanfare here.

Are you sure it was in Cork City Hall? If so, maybe if you contacted somebody working there they might help.

Let us know if he actually did visit.

thanks megadodge. Yes its definitely Cork City Hall as my uncle got in with a neighbour of his who worked there. The man is also in the pic. He's since died and no one else can remember the year. There is a pic of joe louis in portlaoise too, in o'loughlins hotel. I'm going there at the weekend and i'll see if they have a year on it

thanks megadodge. Yes its definitely Cork City Hall as my uncle got in with a neighbour of his who worked there. The man is also in the pic. He's since died and no one else can remember the year. There is a pic of joe louis in portlaoise too, in o'loughlins hotel. I'm going there at the weekend and i'll see if they have a year on it

the pic of joe louis in o'loughlins hotel in portlaoise was taken in 1961, so it could well be the same year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

the pic of joe louis in o'loughlins hotel in portlaoise was taken in 1961, so it could well be the same year

According to his autobigraphy JOE LOUIS:MY LIFE(1978)
    During 1942-1946,the 46 months he was in the Army,
    Joe Louis traveled 70,000 miles and did 96 exhibitions in front of an audience of approx. 5 million servicemen.
    About 30 of those exhibitions are listed in his ring record in that book,conspicusly missing are the exhibitions he did in England,Scotland,Ireland,Italy and"parts of Africa".
    Along with George Nicholson and Sugar Ray Robinson,a SGT Jackie Wilson went with his tour to Europe .
    Is that the same indivual who later became a Rock n Roll singer,who sang"Your love takes me higher"?
    I had heard he was a boxer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Might be very wrong, but I think Joe Louis was also in Ireland sometime during May or June of 1944.

He spent time in Liverpool in July of 1944. There is a player registration form that he signed for Liverpool FC still on display inside Anfield, along with pics of him in and around the city of Liverpool, and am pretty sure that there is a mention there of him being in Ireland a month or so before he arrived in Liverpool.

Kess73 wrote: »
    Might be very wrong, but I think Joe Louis was also in Ireland sometime during May or June of 1944.

He spent time in Liverpool in July of 1944. There is a player registration form that he signed for Liverpool FC still on display inside Anfield, along with pics of him in and around the city of Liverpool, and am pretty sure that there is a mention there of him being in Ireland a month or so before he arrived in Liverpool.

1944 would have been too early for the pic in question. My uncle was born in 1934 and he was a fully grown man when the pic was taken.

i believe you were right about him being to Liverpool i vaguely remember a picture around there. One also floating around with the kray brothers i believe

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

They were talking about him on Newstalk yesterday evening.

Listen back here
    http://www.newstalk.ie/player/listen_back/9/9828/13th_May_2014_-_The_Right_Hook_Part_2

Skip to 38:40.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

Advertisement